cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drivers License renewal MA

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
Our Class A weights 31k. When I renewed my Class D Massachusetts drivers license online about a week ago, it clearly stated the Class D license was for vehicles less then 26,001 pounds. I received it today and on the back it only lists school buses as an exception. It does have a place for endorsements.

I do plan on calling the MA RMV Monday, but in the meantime does anyone know what is going on?

If I get stopped driving our RV out of state, I could get a ticket for driving without the proper license. Also, the class D description below seems to contradict what is on the back of my new license.

Thank you,
Paul
-----------------------------------------

From the MA RMV website.
Different Classes of Licenses

Class A- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. (Holders of a Class A license may, with any appropriate endorsements, operate all vehicles within Classes B, C, and D).

Class B- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. (Holders of a Class B license may, with any appropriate endorsements, operate all vehicles within Classes B, C, and D).

Class C- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials. (Holders of a Class C license may, with any appropriate endorsements, operate all vehicles within Classes C and D).

Class D- Any single passenger vehicle or combination, except a semi-trailer unit, truck-trailer combination, tractor, or truck with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) over 26,000 lbs., bus or school bus.

Class M- A motorcycle or any other motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the rider and designed to travel with no more than three wheels in contact with the ground.

41' MountainAire (MADP) -Spartan- Cummins 350 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy - CoachNet

22 REPLIES 22

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about the delay in getting back to everyone. The wait/callback time using our RMV's call-in number for our area has been significant. I had the time to wait for the callback this morning.

Does my class D license cover driving our 40 foot, 31,000 pound motorhome?
Answer
Since it is registered as a camper (CA plate) the class D covers it.

I also asked about being out of state with a license that states on the back "for 26,001 pounds and below" and being in an accident or being stopped.
Answer
Her answer was that they should be able to figure it out.

Thanks for all the input.

Paul

Brake Buddy - CoachNet

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
demoon wrote:
Could they enforce a Texas law if it said you can't drive a motorhome over 26,001, or one that says you need a special license if you are over a certain age? What if it was your plates and not your inspection sticker? I agree with the examples you gave, but in doing so, it opens up a can of worms. I think, the reciprocity rules are in place to cover most of these things.

Only if you were registered in Texas, licensed in Texas, OR, that law was clearly posted and regularly enforced.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

djedgar
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not licensed for the vehicle you are driving or the vehicle is not registered, you can be cited in any state you are in. You only need what is proper for your state to avoid problems. Most peace officers from other states will not know your specific inspection requirements, but if they have that special knowledge they could cite you for the vehicle not being registered. They would cite under the vehicle code for their state.

The above is based on 30 years as a California peace officer
07 Newmar Ventana 3330
02 Honda Sabre
02 Kawa Vulcan Nomad
48 MG TC

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
Could they enforce a Texas law if it said you can't drive a motorhome over 26,001, or one that says you need a special license if you are over a certain age? What if it was your plates and not your inspection sticker? I agree with the examples you gave, but in doing so, it opens up a can of worms. I think, the reciprocity rules are in place to cover most of these things.

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
A Massachusetts license requirement (or any other Massachusetts STATE law) can't be enforced by another state.
For example, your Mass sticker expires, and you're in Texas. Do they write you a Texas ticket for not having a Mass inspection? No. They can't write you a Mass ticket, you're in Texas.
They can't require a Texas inspection, because you're not registered in Texas.

It's like saying "Well...the speed limit here in Texas for your vehicle is 75mph. BUT...you're registered in Mass, and THEIR speed limit for your vehicle is 60mph, so we're giving you a ticket in Texas for breaking a Massachusetts state law."

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
The exception on the back of the license simply means you can't drive a school bus, even if it is a passenger car. Nothing has changed in the MA licensing law.
However, it will be interesting to see how they answer your question.

djedgar
Explorer
Explorer
In California a motorhome is a passenger vehicle and needs no special license unless it is over 40 to 45 feet. The 40+ to 45' mho's require a noncommercial class B driver license.

From the DMV website:
To obtain a Noncommercial Class B license, you must:

Have completed all the requirements for a Noncommercial Class B permit
To apply for a Noncommercial Class B permit, you must:

Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application form (DL 44 or DL 44C).Driver License or Identification Card Application form (DL 44C). (An original DL 44C form must be submitted. Copies are not acceptable.)
Give a thumb print
Have your picture taken
Verify your birth date and legal presence (you may use your California driver license). If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth date/legal presence document, see โ€œTrue Full Nameโ€ and โ€œHow to Change Your Nameโ€ for more information. Provide your true full name if your name no longer matches the name on your birth date legal presence document.
Pay the application fee for a 5โ€“year license
Pass a vision exam
Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application
Pass the traffic laws and sign tests for the class of vehicle your currently have and also the Driverโ€™s Examination for 45โ€™Housecars test

Call a DMV CDL office and make an appointment for a driving test (Cannot be made for the same day) (Noncommercial Class B driving test appointments cannot be made online)
Bring the housecar with you
Perform a vehicle safety check. NOTE: If your vehicle is equipped with air brakes, you are not required to pass an air brake law test or perform an air brake system check.
Pass a skills test
Pass a driving test
07 Newmar Ventana 3330
02 Honda Sabre
02 Kawa Vulcan Nomad
48 MG TC

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
It MAY be a misprint...I suspect it should read LESS than 26,001. That's how it reads in California. Most States specify one class for more than and another class for less than. The quote you have says nothing about LESS, hence I'm thinking misprint.....Dennis

If I'm not mistaken California bases their license requirements for house cars (motor homes) based on length, and not weight.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

jferre9570
Explorer
Explorer
This is the response I received from the RMV the last time I asked:
Dear Mr. ---------:
You only need a Class D license if your vehicle is registered as either
a camper or an autohome, regardless of the vehicle's weight.
You need a CDL license if. . .
- Your camper or autohome is registered as a bus or any other type of
commercial vehicle; and
- It weighs 26,001 lbs. or more.
In this case, see the license class chart in the Driver's Manual to
determine the specific type of CDL license needed.
NOTE: If you want to upgrade to a Class-C license without the passenger
endorsement. . .
1. Get a CDL Manual and study for your General Knowledge Test.
2. Visit an RMV branch and. . .
-Satisfy all the documentation requirements
-Complete the CDL license application
-Pay all applicable fees
-Take the CDL General Knowledge Test, and an endorsement test
for each endorsement you want to add
3. Obtain a Department of Transportation Medical (DOT) Card
4. After passing the permit test and getting a DOT Card, you can upgrade
your license for a $15 fee.
If you want to upgrade to a Class-C license with the passenger
endorsement, or to a Class-A or Class-B license. . .
1. Get a CDL Manual and study for your General Knowledge Test.
2. Visit an RMV branch and. . .
-Satisfy all the documentation requirements
-Complete the CDL license application
-Pay all applicable fees
-Take the CDL General Knowledge Test, and an endorsement test
for each endorsement you want to add
3. After passing the knowledge test, practice driving a commercial
vehicle.
4. Obtain a Department of Transportation Medical (DOT) Card
5. Call the RMV Telephone Center (617-351-4500 or 1-800-858-3926) to
book a road test
6. Pass the road test. If you have pre-paid all the fees, your license
will be mailed to you. If you have not pre-paid, return to the branch to
pay.
Thank you for using www.mass.gov/rmv and have a nice day.
Denise
John & Diane
1996 Beaver Monterey 3403
2005 Honda CRV toad

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have attended meetings attended by Federal DOT, State DOT, State Police, etc over these regulations or lack there of and no matter what is written by what agency none of them have the same interpretation of these laws....US DOT exempts RVs (motor homes)as do some states. Some require some other license, some don't......I gave up trying to find out because you can't!!!!! I just don't make it complicated---its less stress that way.....
I totally agree
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have attended meetings attended by Federal DOT, State DOT, State Police, etc over these regulations or lack there of and no matter what is written by what agency none of them have the same interpretation of these laws....US DOT exempts RVs (motor homes)as do some states. Some require some other license, some don't......I gave up trying to find out because you can't!!!!! I just don't make it complicated---its less stress that way.....

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the DMV where we live and no go, I do not need them. Got stopped in my company truck because my tag was on the rear and not the front of my truck. Very nice officer even came to my office to explain all the reasons and left a lot of info. I again went to the DMV testing station and they would not give me a test. Went to the Truck Training place and asked for the test and training and they said I could train here to drive a truck but no RV. My company truck was a dodge 3500. Go Figure. So I do not have a RV license. Larry
(PS this was several years ago but as of yesterday the law remains the same)
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

ploiselle
Explorer
Explorer
As to it being a misprint, being competent or even having a skill is not a prerequisite to obtaining a job with the state in MA, so it could be anything.

I guess the only way to find out for sure is to wait until Monday and call the MA RMV and ask. I will post he answer.

I forgot to mention that I am currently in Florida, that's why I renewed online.

Thanks for all the help.
Paul

Brake Buddy - CoachNet

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
It MAY be a misprint...I suspect it should read LESS than 26,001. That's how it reads in California. Most States specify one class for more than and another class for less than. The quote you have says nothing about LESS, hence I'm thinking misprint.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG