cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving Class A

rbadger28
Explorer
Explorer
Recently bought a Class A Winnebago Tribute (2015) after owning a travel trailer.

Driving has not been as "relaxed" as I had expected. Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations or perhaps I am still getting used to it. But, I felt more comfortable driving at high speed with my travel trailer than I do with the motorhome, especially in the mountains.

Feels like some drift and going around corners the sensation of tipping over.

Is this normal, or should I expect better and have it checked out?
44 REPLIES 44

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
Nohurry, for what it is worth; I have a 2018 Jayco Alante 26X on a F-53 Chassis. I just did a front end alinement and had the shop install a SafeTSteer, I will probably just have them take it off and suck up the $896.00 cost. I just downsized from a Diesel Pusher and was hoping to get the solid feel in my new Gasser. I did not gain anything noticeable with the "improvements", I did notice a lack of being able to adjust to the road and wind. Many of my corners felt like a series of constant corrections, there was no smooth cornering. I come from a Fire/EMS background and smooth cornering was an area I took much pride in so I may be a little skewed with my expectations. JH

nohurry wrote:
We too just bought a gas class A two weeks ago. 33โ€™ F53 chassis. Have put 1100 miles on it in that time. Sure is different. But after getting used to it, I enjoy driving it! When We get home, and I first get in my truck, I feel claustrophobic lol. Yes, there is quite a bit of motion to get used to, but to me rough road sections are by far worse than the swaying. We ran a section of I-90 westbound on the downhill side that just about rattled my teeth out. But when the road is smooth, and there is little wind, or the wind is at your tail it was very comfortable in that big old leather lounger seat! I donโ€™t think thereโ€™s any thing I can do about rough roads ( Hey, I pay my taxes donโ€™t I)! But if I can improve something easy enough, Iโ€™ll do it, so my plan as of now is next spring Iโ€™ll add a heavy sway bar in the rear, and do the CHF in the front with Hellwig adjustable end links, and poly bushings and go from there. Probably do a steering stabilizer as well.

To the OP, hang in there, and take it easy. Youโ€™ll get it.

To those of you with DPโ€™s and air suspension; your blessed, and weโ€™ll probably never know. For now, I just gotta dance with the girl I brought to the prom!

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
We too just bought a gas class A two weeks ago. 33โ€™ F53 chassis. Have put 1100 miles on it in that time. Sure is different. But after getting used to it, I enjoy driving it! When We get home, and I first get in my truck, I feel claustrophobic lol. Yes, there is quite a bit of motion to get used to, but to me rough road sections are by far worse than the swaying. We ran a section of I-90 westbound on the downhill side that just about rattled my teeth out. But when the road is smooth, and there is little wind, or the wind is at your tail it was very comfortable in that big old leather lounger seat! I donโ€™t think thereโ€™s any thing I can do about rough roads ( Hey, I pay my taxes donโ€™t I)! But if I can improve something easy enough, Iโ€™ll do it, so my plan as of now is next spring Iโ€™ll add a heavy sway bar in the rear, and do the CHF in the front with Hellwig adjustable end links, and poly bushings and go from there. Probably do a steering stabilizer as well.

To the OP, hang in there, and take it easy. Youโ€™ll get it.

To those of you with DPโ€™s and air suspension; your blessed, and weโ€™ll probably never know. For now, I just gotta dance with the girl I brought to the prom!
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
msturtz wrote:
jarata1 wrote:
Slow down

Arizona, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wisconsin permit passengers to travel in fifth wheels. Of these, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota and Wisconsin require a source of communication between the driver of the towing vehicle and passengers in the travel trailer for safety reasons.

About 5 years ago, watched this rig pull away with wife and kids in the Trailer (Nebraska). I've seen it a lot on the highway at rest stops actually. Folks load up in the trailer and off they go.

We did ask the Ranger to stop this guy though. We watched him break off the bolts on one side of his step bumper when hooking up, but he continued to load up to go.

And if it is legal and doesn't hurt others....who cares?

I drive my MH at the speed limit. I love driving my rig, it is delightful!!

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, how did we get from the handling of a Class A to the safty of a 5th wheel....?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:

In either case I still feel safer in our combo than having my kids ride inside a wood and fiberglass box.
Hmmm, wood and fiberglass box or a beer can ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I thought about that. That's why I'm not in a hurry to buy a mass fabricated rack. I'm going to find someone who can custom make it with plate steel on the lower section and heavy bars.

My biggest worry about the fiver coming forward is if I rear end someone. Fortunately the adaptive cruise control will prevent a rear end collision. On our current 6000 mi trip, the adaptive cruise has worked flawlessly.

If someone rear ends us, unless it's a semi-truck, they're going to be a lot less weight. And that crumbling splintering rear end of the trailer will take a lot of the force.

I do wonder how much force it would take to tear the fifth wheel hitch off.

In either case I still feel safer in our combo than having my kids ride inside a wood and fiberglass box.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think a headache rack is going to stop those two front I-beams from coming in with 6 tons pushing forward. If anything, that headache rack just leaves more stuff for the Fire Department to have to cut to get to you after it bends down and pins you to the seat. Those are more for catching the tool box you didn't secure, or the vice on the rear deck.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
That's why I'm looking for a good welded headache rack for the truck right now. I'd at least like something fairly solid to protect the rear occupants in the case of an accident and the fiver comes off the hitch. I figure it's still safer than riding in a fiberglass and wood box.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
3 dog nights wrote:
Had the same results moving from a 5th wheel to a Class A, Found it handled a lot better if I just slowed down, just because limit is 70-75 doesn't mean I have to drive that fast. Found best handling at 62. Also google CHF for class A, it made a difference on mine. Sum it up I found I had to much Type A for my Class A. required attitude adjustment. Good Luck!

Agree with slowing down. I mean the speed limit is the same for Lamborghini's and Ferrari's, so there's gotta be something wrong with this picture, somewhere.
For correcting such, I'd say to personally lower your speed limit, when driving a Motel, rather than speed up with your sports car.

That's why my 9350 lb class 3 (really a class 4) truck only pulls a 12k lbs fiver.

I had considered a class A, but I was worried that my kids would be strapped down only by a lap belt onto a couch. And there are no air bags or any other safety systems.

At least my truck has lap/shoulder belts all around, air bags all around, and the truck is built to some safety standards.
As a daily driver the safety stuff is fine, but all that safety gear is not going to do much when that 12,000 lb missile collapses that hitch frame and comes in the cab in a collision. I've had both the dually pulling a 17,400 lb fiver and a Class A, and I wouldn't consider either a safe anything for my kids or spouse in a collision. It would just get ugly fast!

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
3 dog nights wrote:
Had the same results moving from a 5th wheel to a Class A, Found it handled a lot better if I just slowed down, just because limit is 70-75 doesn't mean I have to drive that fast. Found best handling at 62. Also google CHF for class A, it made a difference on mine. Sum it up I found I had to much Type A for my Class A. required attitude adjustment. Good Luck!

Agree with slowing down. I mean the speed limit is the same for Lamborghini's and Ferrari's, so there's gotta be something wrong with this picture, somewhere.
For correcting such, I'd say to personally lower your speed limit, when driving a Motel, rather than speed up with your sports car.

That's why my 9350 lb class 3 (really a class 4) truck only pulls a 12k lbs fiver.

I had considered a class A, but I was worried that my kids would be strapped down only by a lap belt onto a couch. And there are no air bags or any other safety systems.

At least my truck has lap/shoulder belts all around, air bags all around, and the truck is built to some safety standards.

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
Wind gets me, and rough roads. Most of the time it's smooth sailing, but it does take a while to get comfortable. I'd never driven anything that big before buying this rig. Other than getting into and out of my driveway, I'd rather drive this than my other car. Oh, wait, I got a sweet new pickup truck that rides like a dream. Scratch that. But I preferred it over my old car. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Jon

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
msturtz wrote:
Any motorhome but especially Class A rigs will sway, bob and weave. It is expected. Sway bars and steering stabilizers, better shocks etc. help with handling, however, these things don't ever drive like passenger cars. .

Granted Iโ€™m not driving a gas class A (only made that mistake once) but mine does NOT sway, bob, or weave...3 reason why I love my RR10S Monaco/HR chassis. If the sign says a curve is only 35 mph Iโ€™ll take it at that or more. Just completed 1100 miles (stopping early than usual) as 500 miles/day put us at our destination. Yea, Yea, I know we are retired and not in a hurry (Iโ€™m not) I just love driving a great handling DP...your mileage may be different.

Stiffer shocks will not help much as itโ€™s still going to lean as much...just a slightly slower getting there. Larger swaybars and trackbars will help.

We have a low-end DP on the XC-S chassis. The suspension is soft. I only take corners at or less than the recommended speed mostly because I don't want stuff sliding around inside or providing a poor ride for my passengers. If I have to hit the brakes even moderately hard the nose dives, if I need to turn the coach leans the opposite way. It is vastly better than our old gas rig which had a very harsh ride and still was all over the road. At least the DP we have is easy to keep in the lane (unless the lanes are very narrow) and the ride is very comfortable even on poor road surfaces. The higher end DP coaches handle much better.
FMCA member

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
msturtz wrote:
Any motorhome but especially Class A rigs will sway, bob and weave. It is expected. Sway bars and steering stabilizers, better shocks etc. help with handling, however, these things don't ever drive like passenger cars. .

Granted Iโ€™m not driving a gas class A (only made that mistake once) but mine does NOT sway, bob, or weave...3 reason why I love my RR10S Monaco/HR chassis. If the sign says a curve is only 35 mph Iโ€™ll take it at that or more. Just completed 1100 miles (stopping early than usual) as 500 miles/day put us at our destination. Yea, Yea, I know we are retired and not in a hurry (Iโ€™m not) I just love driving a great handling DP...your mileage may be different.

Stiffer shocks will not help much as itโ€™s still going to lean as much...just a slightly slower getting there. Larger swaybars and trackbars will help.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)