cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E-350 vs. 3500 promaster

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at getting a new Class C/B+ and were wondering what the consensus was regarding E-350 vs. 3500 promaster RVs. Is there a clear reason why one is better? I am looking at something 24' or less.
20 REPLIES 20

mrshowtime3
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a single rear wheel RV at your own peril.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I think the convention for those capacity labels has changed, or some builders provide more info than others.

Lately, they provide an "empty" weight which I think is a unit with full oil and fuel but nothing else. And a disclaimer saying any dealer options will reduce capacity. Then some show capacities with given numbers of passengers. The most with just two, down to least with say six.

Reminds me of the ingredients of diet soda. They're required to print them, but they can choose a print style that discourages reading them. It's as if the coach companies don't want us to be able to compare across brands.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
I'm seeing lots of noise here about the low OCCC of the Promaster RVs. Somebody on this forum a while back looked at door stickers. One was 1300 lbs and the other was 1430 or so. That is pretty workable for a small RV.
I think that was considering an empty fresh water tank.

Every motor home should have enough CCC to handle the quantity of seat belts times an average weight per person, plus water and supplies.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seeing lots of noise here about the low OCCC of the Promaster RVs. Somebody on this forum a while back looked at door stickers. One was 1300 lbs and the other was 1430 or so. That is pretty workable for a small RV.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
All Dodge has to do is tool up a free spinning dual rear axle assembly for the Promaster to address the majority of the load deficiency for RV and commercial applications. I wonder if they don't offer it because maybe the front wheel drive engine & transmission combo wouldn't be able to handle the load. There could be multiple dynamics as to why the chassis is what it is today.

Like SkiMore says, The Dodge Promaster van is fine for a class B application, but not the cut-away chassis for a B+/C.

The tandem rear axles are quite common in Europe on the Fiat Ducato chassis motor homes (which is the exact same as the Promaster) (this chassis is also used by Peugeot, with a Peugeot engine in it).

https://youtu.be/33opsx1NLRU

Charles

Charles only difference is their all Diesel engines , no Gas ones. Illustrative photo is of a Trakka 700, 29ft Class C, which is made in Australia

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
All Dodge has to do is tool up a free spinning dual rear axle assembly for the Promaster to address the majority of the load deficiency for RV and commercial applications. I wonder if they don't offer it because maybe the front wheel drive engine & transmission combo wouldn't be able to handle the load. There could be multiple dynamics as to why the chassis is what it is today.

Like SkiMore says, The Dodge Promaster van is fine for a class B application, but not the cut-away chassis for a B+/C.

The tandem rear axles are quite common in Europe on the Fiat Ducato chassis motor homes (which is the exact same as the Promaster) (this chassis is also used by Peugeot, with a Peugeot engine in it).

https://youtu.be/33opsx1NLRU

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
ron.dittmer wrote:

I suspect it has to do with the front wheel drive platform. It would be easy to increase the RGAWR by a couple thousand pounds just with bigger tires, wheels and springs, dual wheels wouldn't even be necessary. But adding 2000 pounds to the rear without nothing more on the front you'd end up with a vehicle with poor traction, like an empty 2WD pickup but twice as heavy.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a shame that they will build a C on a platform like that. With two people and really watching the weight you put into the MH, you're at best, a few hundred pounds under the GVWR.
That could conceivably shorten the life of the vehicle, being so close, if not over, the vehicle's weight rating.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
I see what you mean about the low CCC# on the promaster when used as a class C. It's a shame that the spec isn't listed on the Winnebago or coachman websites. It looks like the numbers aren't so bad if you were getting a classB. I found a review of the Travato 59G on motorhome mag that lists the CCC as 1910 lbs. Too bad I'm looking at a C.

Thanks, I'll be looking at E350 and Transit platforms.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Our old E350 with 6.0 diesel and 3.73 axle had 20,000 lbs GCWR, which meant it could tow 10,500 lbs while the van was also loaded to it's 9500 lb GVWR. It was a single rear wheel cargo van. The E350 cutaway chassis with dual rear wheels has higher GVWR and similar GCWR. I believe the V10 gas engine with 4.30 axle also had 20,000 lbs GCWR.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
The Dodge Promaster platform motor home reminds me of the Toyota based motor home from 1979 to 1988. Both having single wheel rear axle load limitations, the curb weight was so close to the limit that you couldn't take anything with you on a trip including your own family. Of coarse people ignored the numbers and drove around the country with their rigs over-loaded.

I would never consider any motor home built on a Promaster cut-away chassis. I can't understand why they are permitted to make them. The NTSB should not have approved that chassis for motor homes. Make box trucks that haul Styrofoam and children's backyard slides and such..... bulky, light weight cargo. Not a house with people, water, and all the rest.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Something that hasn't been pointed out yet is that the Promaster is front wheel drive. Mechanically it's really just a huge minivan. Front wheel drive provides great traction in passenger vehicles but in a truck or motorhome you can easily end up with the drive axle being too light to have good traction on hills or in slippery conditions.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
To me, the RV's built on Promaster have a very limited audience, because of he very limited OCC. A couple, on a trip, is almost guaranteed to be overloaded.

Transit? Maybe. Promaster? Nope. Just because something CAN be done (RV on Promaster) doesn't mean it SHOULD be done (Trend and Friends).
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB