cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

East Coast Ferry Use

DewLess
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of traveling East coast from Savannah GA north using routes closest to coast north to around Kitty Hawk area before moving inland. With Class A 37 ft., should I consider another route? Ferry travel is what I am uncertain of.
15 REPLIES 15

DewLess
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, sounds like it can come together. Appreciate all the input and suggestions. Retired and hate reservations time scheduling

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
More than the fingers on your hand..plenty here.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes

DewLess
Explorer
Explorer
Those suggestions sound workable. No hurry, sight seeing. Looked at some landings by google earth view seem very large size. Another question, are there very many public beach access points available? Walk on, not drive.

pegdiver
Explorer
Explorer
With us being 50 feet with our tow car, we make reservations on the Cedar Island ferry - then wait in line at Hattaras - Ocracoke. Sometimes, when it is busy, we have to wait for a few hours but then, we can have lunch or a nap. Some days, the wait is longer - Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays... 4th of July.
Do be aware that local people have priority and that includes delivery trucks.
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F with 2012 Jeep Liberty toad.
Old - 1999 32' Adventurer (no slides) with Grand Vitara toad (105,000 miles!)
Pride 3 wheel mobility scooter
Only 3 states to go in the USA, Camped in most of Canada and 4 states in Mexico too!

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been across the ferry many times both directions and just take my turn in line without any reservations.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
GREAT! Added to the bucket list! Looks like fun!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

DewLess
Explorer
Explorer
NC reservations desk. Due to heavy vacation traffic time of year

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
DewLess wrote:
THX, Bullydogs1 on reservations heads up. Seems best for at least a 3 week lead time during summer months according to a call to reservations for info. Will put that travel plan in file 13.

I don't believe that info. I live less than 1/2 mile from the ferry landing on Cedar Island. A day or 2 in advance is all that is usually required. What you can do is try and make a reservation a day or 2 out and if there are none, just continue up US 17 and go into the Banks that way.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

DewLess
Explorer
Explorer
THX, Bullydogs1 on reservations heads up. Seems best for at least a 3 week lead time during summer months according to a call to reservations for info. Will put that travel plan in file 13.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have no issue on the NC ferries but you will have to make a reservation....get to Cedar Islan, Ocracoke, then to Hatteras then you can drive up to Currituck KnottsLanding ferries
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

DewLess
Explorer
Explorer
THX for the links,, I had tryed past few days and had found something else which was not those pages

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
That looks like a fun way to go....appears it would cost me $45 to get all the way to Knotts' Island....cool..:)..Dennis

Ferries
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
No problem just follow direction of the ferry guide.