cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric side entry step problem

ThorMan
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting in our motor home last night watching TV I heard a strange noise, looked out the window to see if maybe the neighbor was working on his rig, nope no one outside, this happened a few times before I realized it was my step motor coming on and off, all on its own, then it stopped. Now the step will not retract, even if I start the MH up and retract the levelers. Any idea what to check? Is there a way to manually retract the step?
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem is likely the door switch coupled with the override switch either beign OFF or the fuse blown.

But.. to manually retract KWIKEE steps (may apply to other brands)

Pull the motor plug to insure they do not bite you

From underneath look at the assembley there is a box the motor attaches to (Transmiossion) with an arm. the arm connects (Eventually) to another thing that pushes the steps out or pulls 'em in using a common clevis type pin with a cotter key.. Put somthing under the steps so they don't come back and bite you (Some leveling blovcks or even a kitchen pan)

Pull cotter key, drive pin out.

Steps should now "Swing" Free (Why you bloked 'em)

Push 'em into the retracted posiotion and bungee in place for the drive to fix it shop. Use a step box of some kind to get in and out (Attach a light weight rope to step box so you can pull it up and in once inside the RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had that issue and changed out both. It was about a 140 bucks and an hours labor.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

ThorMan
Explorer
Explorer
Took it to a dealer in Ocala on my way to my next destination they diagnosed it as a bad control module AND a bad motor. two and a half hours later, and much lighter wallet I was on my way again.

Got to my next destination, sprung a very bad leak in my hydraulic levelers. When it rains it pours.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Every time my steps act like they are possessed it has turned out to be low battery +/or corroded ground.
Kevin

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
... Steps going nuts are frequently the control module.
Um???? You ARE describing my mother-in-law! :B

ThorMan
Explorer
Explorer
It is a Lippert brand step. I am in a camp ground, and was supposed to leave here today. As much as I hate to say this (hangs head in shame) I have an RV service company coming out this morning to diagnose and hopefully repair it.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The step is independent of everything on your Motorhome. It will operate regardless of slides/jacks/ anything. So, you need to state Year/Brand of RV and Brand of step. From your description both LCI and Kwikee(the brands of steps) will do what you state if they have a bad motor. Manual retract info depends on what Brand step you have. Doug

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, pull the power before working on the steps. It may be low voltage or the magnetic switch mat be out of adjustment.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
some times low 12v will cause things to happen.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
First things first. When doing ANYTHING on power steps, remove the power before you do anything. If you don't know which breaker/fuse, unhook ALL your batteries (chassis, too, many steps are powered by them) or cut the wires. Many a finger has been lost by a malfunctioning step. Once power is removed, there is a mechanical link that can be unbolted and the steps tied up. Steps going nuts are frequently the control module.