cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical buzz

k9dad
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling on the Oregon coast where it is cold and damp. Have noticed a buzzing sound coming from underneath in the bedroom floor area. Thought at first it was due to a combination of cold and moisture. This is close to where the electric connection is. Have not noticed it before. Everything electrical is working fine. No breakers tripped,no fuses blown and we have a good external surge protector. Have tried to find where or what is causing it to no avail. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Is this a dangerous situation or normal for the cold damp conditions?
20 REPLIES 20

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
bee hive maybe
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Had what sounds like same issue you are having last summer.Turned out my transfer switch was the culprit. I was at Ky speedway so using generator was a must.The contacts in mine were burnt pretty bad.

I removed mine completely and hard wired a 30 amp plug in generator compartment and now when I use generator I run power cord into the compartment and start generator.

I have an older coach so I don't mind making changes like this may not want to do yours this way .AT this time I have no plans of replacing the Transfer switch
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

bmoor69
Explorer
Explorer
Ours did the same thing and it is the box that allows the power to switch over to generator if it is turned on while plugged in. I unplugged it for ten minutes and plugged it back in and it fixed the issue. Happened twice now in my 2014 Challenger

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
k9dad wrote:
Issue resolved. Called Surge Guard (transfer switch mfg.) and talked to their tech. Described issue and he concluded that there probably was some dirt/dust on one of the terminals. Told me to buy a can of compressed air and call him back when I returned. He walked me thru the steps to clean and tighten the terminals. It worked!!! Hum/buzz is gone. Had never seen the workings of such a complicated transfer switch. Not your usual switch. Thanks for all the input from the forum.

Did that to mine, but it started again. Did not use compressed air, just dusted and tighten. Gonna try that again someday with the air.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

k9dad
Explorer
Explorer
Issue resolved. Called Surge Guard (transfer switch mfg.) and talked to their tech. Described issue and he concluded that there probably was some dirt/dust on one of the terminals. Told me to buy a can of compressed air and call him back when I returned. He walked me thru the steps to clean and tighten the terminals. It worked!!! Hum/buzz is gone. Had never seen the workings of such a complicated transfer switch. Not your usual switch. Thanks for all the input from the forum.

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search on transfer switches. Sounds like your issue. Mine hums but does not get hot. Hummed since it was new, replaced three years ago. Annoying, no, I rode ships for 20 years, it's the absolute quite I can't handle. lol
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could disconnect from shore power, then start genset to see if noise is still there.
This would just prove whether it is the transfer switch and not the converter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
Try unplugging the power cord and replugging it back it OR turn the power off at the post and turn it back on and see if the sound goes away.
My transfer switch made a buzzing sound and unplugging it and replugging it made it go away.
Ah- make sure that most of your appliances and electronics are turned off first.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Camper_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem buzz or humming. Bad transfer switch. Replaced under warranty, less than a year old at the time.

Ken
2016 Itasca Navion 24J

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are describing
1: One of the places they sometimes hide CONVERTERS
2: A Converter which uses a transformer that has grown old and is now getting noisy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds then like one of the relays has a loose coil. Some are replaceable.
Make and model of transfer switch?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

k9dad
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Removed drawer to access transfer switch. Definetly coming from transfer switch housing.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you tried to locate source by sound?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

k9dad
Explorer
Explorer
Not driving. Plugged in to 50 amp service on Oregon coast. Has been buzzing for 3 days.