Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Entry door latch broken

DanLefoot
Explorer
Explorer
Hi gang.
We have a 2008 Monaco Knight. The door latch has broken and we need replace it.
Do you know of a good source for this part?
Also the electric step goes in and out as we drive down the road. Is this problem related to the door latch?
Thanks
Dan
6 REPLIES 6

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
I would talk to rvlocksandmore as I just purchased a upgraded entry door latch/lock from them.
I got the security upgrade so dealer master keys won't work and you can also get new compartment locks keyed the same as the door. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, I don't, well maybe I do mean to be a wise acre but, not owning a 2008 Monaco Knight and with no photograph included in your post and no product manufacturers name given, here is my answer, " ".

A generic answer would be, remove the screws holding the inside trim to the outside trim and every thing but the latch and dead bolt would be separated from your door. While I might choose to remove the entire mechanism and replace it just as insurance of another failure, that is all you really have to do. Of course you then have to install the new lock mechanism.

If you do have a TriMark lock, on the inside of the inside trim is a three digit number. You need that to purchase a direct replacement.

As stated earlier, the door lock should not have any effect on the steps. If you do not have a copy of the manual for your steps, give us the make and model and someone here will help you with the manual. There are about 3,859,263 posts about electric step failures on the forum and in my opinion is follow the manual(if they are Kwikee) and trouble shoot the cause.

I really would like to help but IIA. Insufficient Information Available.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
DanLefoot wrote:
Actually it looks like just the handle is broken but It seems the entire mechanism will need to be replaced.
It is not clear to me how to remove the existing door mechanism. Does the entire door panel need to be removed?

when you refer to door latch? what are you trying to describe?
there is the door handle/lock system in the door?
is that's what broken?
If so TRIMARK corporation are one of the suppliers of door handle/lock systems for RV class A style front entry doors

DanLefoot
Explorer
Explorer
Actually it looks like just the handle is broken but It seems the entire mechanism will need to be replaced.
It is not clear to me how to remove the existing door mechanism. Does the entire door panel need to be removed?

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
When my latch broke, I ordered a replacement from rvupgrades.com . To do the repair, I had to drill out the latch in order to retract the bolt, which took a 20v power head and a good steel metal bit. Once drilled out, the replacement is pretty straight forward.
On my rig, the sensor for the steps in on the screen door. This sounds to me like it could be an intermittent short, or the sensor might have crud on it. Either way, steps are often an easy fix. I keep dry silicon lubricant for both the steps and the leveler struts, and spray them down before I retract struts when breaking camp.
HTH,
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard good things about This Company
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental