cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Escape window falls out

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 Fleetwood Expedition that has an escape window behind the sofa in the living room. While traveling home back to Florida this past October I walked back to the 1/2 bath and felt a tremendous rush of cold air. When investigating at the nearest rest area we discovered the window had fallen out. Yep! Gone! Somewhere between Louisiana and Florida the escape window escaped. It took over 2 months to get the new window and a cost of $800 plus labor to install. Had to buy the whole double window. It was closed and locked as all our windows were when we left the Navy Base in Belle Chase, Louisiana. Check your windows before getting on the road - you could feel a cold unknown draft while on the road.
11 REPLIES 11

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
On my 5th wheel, the escape window has a hole in the extension arm which allows the window to stay open. On the MH,the extension arms are shorter and don't have any holes. Anyone know why they made this change because its disappointing to not get fresh air?
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Reading your experience causes more concern for if we might have done that kind of damage. Glad our's is a diesel class A and not the fiver you passed!!!

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
jimx200 wrote:
bdpreece wrote:
Had the escape window from a fiver blow out while I was passing him on I5 near Dunsuir Ca. Did $16000.00 worth of damage to the side of my motorhome.

Wow.. serious damage and very fortunate no one was hurt.

These windows are tempered glass. His hit the side of my motorhome just at the rear edge of the entrance door and exploded into what must have been a million pieces. The side of our motorhome looked like it had been hit by a shotgun. chewed up the awning arms and metal cover for the awning also. Took almost a month to repair all the pock marks in the siding repair the awning arms and match all the different paint swirls. Amazing how much damage a three by two window can do.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
A feature that Newmar now uses, is an escape door in the bathroom. Pretty easy concept since there is often dead space behind the toilet. It would be a nice feature for other brands to adopt in the future. Has it been a big issue in the past, no, but sure gives you peace of mind.

You may not feel like you can make it out that window, but you should at least be familiar with how it works. It's surprising what you can do when 1200 degrees is nipping at your butt.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
Had the escape window from a fiver blow out while I was passing him on I5 near Dunsuir Ca. Did $16000.00 worth of damage to the side of my motorhome.

Wow.. serious damage and very fortunate no one was hurt.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece, we've wondered/worried if our window ever damaged anybody. We have no idea where it happened, we only know it was on I-10. No one ever signaled us or anything. We were amazed it did no damage to the side of our motorhome or Jeep as it flew by.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to try mine out to see how much trouble it would be but after reading these posts I think I will leave alone. It has been there for many many years..

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
I had a f Fleetwood Jamboree It was junk install of parts poor I told dealer the blind people and drunks put it together. He just stood there with is mouth wide open after I said that.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Lucy6194. What brand of motorhome? Good idea on the plexiglass especialy heading to Alaska. We covered ours with card board and a large garbage bag. Real classy.

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Happened to us on way to Alaska. Had a glass shop put in a plexiglass one till we got home.