cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

European Diesel CRV

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wish Honda would market the car on our side of the pond. 6 speed manual gear box might even be four down towable.

UK Daily Record Story
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53
10 REPLIES 10

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the manufacturers have introduced diesels to the American market and failed miserably. The American people, other than truck, MB and VW buyers, have never accepted the diesel passenger car. The argument that they are smelling, messy and not worth the trouble has prevailed so the US market is left primarily to VW and MB. We won't even get in to the oil companies negative influence when diesel was CHEAP.
Randy

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:

But, those, like the CRV and Jeep Diesel versions, are not sold here. However, you CAN purchase one, if it's brought into this country and registered as a used car, in many cases.

This is factually incorrect.

To import a car less than 25 years old, it must meet the EPA standards for emissions for its model year, and then it also must meet the US safety standards for that year which includes correct shatter rated glass, knee bolsters, all airbags in correct locations, anti skid brakes and sway control. For a car not originally manufactured to US standards this can be a very expensive if not impossible conversion.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Do not hold your breath. Apparently both CARB and the EPA are being lobbied by environmental groups to not allow the sale of ANY diesel cars! Heck if CARB had their way no Diesel OTR trucks would be permitted.

Moisheh

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind the mileage indicated is calculated with imperial gallons, so you need to reduce the 55 MPG by about 25% to get equivalent U.S. mileage.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
This peeves me that we can't diesels like that hear. 55 MPG.

They have a diesel Toyota Tacoma that gets 35 MPG too.

No Toyota Hilux quite different vehicle

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Wish Honda would market the car on our side of the pond. 6 speed manual gear box might even be four down towable.

UK Daily Record Story

I think they have discontinued that in Australia, like Hybrids, many diesel sedans do not sell well I here. Diesel Pickups another matter

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a lucky few of us, Jeep put a great little diesel in the Jeep Liberty. With a little help from a tuning shop it gets 35+ at 65 mph and, if your get aggressive with the "GO" pedal....well you best be in full time 4 WD or the wheel spin is substantial.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my wife a 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen diesel last September to replace her Ford Focus that was getting long in the tooth. She LOVES it. She only has to fill the tank twice a month instead of twice a week. The fact it is comfortable AND has the performance of a violated gorilla means we both like it. VW seems to have the diesel thing nailed down, the car gives us ZERO problems.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:

UK Daily Record Story

Well Sir,
Honda, Jeep, and a few others DO MANUFACTURE DIESEL versions of the popular toads many of us use as toads. You can get Diesel CRVs in Canada. Jeep has had diesel Wranglers also, in other countries for quite a while.

The Jeep Liberty, when originally manufactured with a Diesel, was known as a "45 State Car" because there were at the time, 5 states that would not approve the use of that version, in their states.

"Smart for Two" or, otherwise known as the SMART CAR, is also manufactured in Diesel versions. There's a couple on here with the user names: John & Angela, who have TWO DIESEL Smart cars that they tow, one at a time of course. Both hover in the 75 MPG range.

But, those, like the CRV and Jeep Diesel versions, are not sold here. However, you CAN purchase one, if it's brought into this country and registered as a used car, in many cases.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee, when it had the first version Diesel, was not sold in CA. But, if one was brought into CA after it had 7501 miles on it, it was classified as a used Car and could be sold in CA.

But now, Jeeps Diesel Grand is a 50 state car and that version is sold in all 50 states.

Volkswagen has had what it calls the TDI (Turbo Direct Injection)Diesel for years, as in around '97 or '98 plus or minus but, it was able to be sold in CA and any other state, right off the bat. Talk about great mileage and power. We've owned 2 of them and, neither one ever went below 42 mpg. And those cars didn't care how many people were in them or, what kind of grade they faced. They got that mileage regardless.

If you dig around on the net and look for Honda CRV forums, you'll find one or two and, if you go to those websites, you'll read much discussion about Diesel CRVs, mostly in Canada.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
This peeves me that we can't diesels like that hear. 55 MPG.

They have a diesel Toyota Tacoma that gets 35 MPG too.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.