cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exhaust smell

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed that after a period of driving our new Fleetwood Expedition 40x there is diesel exhaust smell that can be noticed in the front cab. It doesn't happen when first getting in and driving, after about an hour in the freeway this happens. It eventually goes away. The generator is not running.

We stopped yesterday to check into the camp site and the smell was present before stopping, and got really worse after not moving and did come from the rear.

Anyone experience this? Could it be the DEF cycling into the exhaust system as it does seem to go away after driving some time down the road. Even so how is it getting into the MH when going 60 mph down the road?
18 REPLIES 18

ltm
Explorer
Explorer
as said 1st check for exhaust leaks , slidout gasket leaks, vent fan open, engine inspection opening inside coach, exhaust from a diesel has a lot of pressure at the rear of the coach.

prism
Explorer
Explorer
possible your front end Fuel tank is improperly venting diesel fumes? I have the new clean burn 425ISL and there is Zero diesel smell from exhuast and if you did have a small pre muffler exhaust leak I seriously doubt it would travel 40 feet to the front exspecially if your moving.I travel with roof vents open and never had a smell come in while moving.same in my old non emission 350ISC units

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth....we always keep all windows and vents closed while moving.

We've found that sewer smells can be drawn in with top vents open.

So I'd make sure they were closed and do a test run to see what happens.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

nor-easter
Explorer
Explorer
Just another place or thing to check is your windows and vents. If you by chance have a window open, the exhaust can come from the rear to the front and into the open window. I forget what the term is but the air can travel between the sidewall and the air coming off the front of the coach. Every once in a while my co-pilot will open the window in the toilet room and the coach will fill with diesel stink. I pull over and check the windows and will find a window slid open or sometimes the over head air vent will be open, without the fan being on and the smell comes in there.
Good Luck

Happy Trails
Capt. Chet

03 Journey DL 39.5 w/330 CAT and bells & whistles!!!!
Toad is a 04 Malibu
Full timing
Out Door World Elite/ Thousand Trails/ Pass Port America
FMCA f10045d

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
wny_pat wrote:
You have more detectors than the lp detector!!! Did you look in the bedroom on the the bed frame? Fleetwood's web site says you have one. Check under safety features.

Well thank you for being persistent. There's one in the bedroom on the wall. I just though it was another smoke alarm :o.

Well it never went off while driving.

And just because it didn't go off, doesn't mean that there isn't a problem of some type. Get the unit back to both Freightliner and Fleetwood, in that order, and get it checked out. I know a little about diesels, but nothing about the new DPF regeneration systems. Don't know if it should cause the CO detector to go off or not.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

et2
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
You have more detectors than the lp detector!!! Did you look in the bedroom on the the bed frame? Fleetwood's web site says you have one. Check under safety features.

Well thank you for being persistent. There's one in the bedroom on the wall. I just though it was another smoke alarm :o.

Well it never went off while driving.

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
While you should not have any smell in the coach, what your engine/pollution control system is doing is regenerating the diesel particulate filter. Your last post about the timing and length of time of the odors are consistent with DPF regeneration.

You need to have this coach inspected both by Freightliner, to make sure the exhaust system is intact, and by Fleetwood who needs to recheck and reseal all of the areas around the engine.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer

Yahooligan
Explorer
Explorer
The DPF, not DEF, is what makes the exhaust not smell like typical diesel exhaust. It still has a smell do it, though it's not very strong unless the DPF is going through regen.

If you are smelling typical diesel exhaust smell then there's not really anything else that could cause this other than an exhaust leak prior to the DPF.

Hopefully Fleetwood will be able to locate the problem quickly!
Hogan & Clan

BillofPA
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea to have a CO detector. However, diesel engines produce very little if any CO. From what I have read there are some weather conditions that can have them make some CO. Maybe the amount of CO produced by the engine won't be enough to set off the detector.
Jenny & Bill
2004 H/Rambler Ambassador 34PDD
Cummins ISC330 Allison 6 speed
2003 Chevy Malibu Toad
Our new Yorkie, Daisy.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
et2 wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
How high is the CO reading from the alarm?

Don't have a permanent one on the MH and I've yet to find the one we had in the fiver. I guess I will be getting a battery operated one today.

If this is you 2013 Fleetwood 40x, it should have a built in one as standard equipment!

And it is not un-common for new equipment to have power train problems such as exhaust leaks. Trucking companies keep new rigs close to home for the first 6 months because of those new rig problems. We should also expect that with our coaches and chassis.

There is the propane gas detector, it doesn't say anything about CO detection. It has not gone off. I purchased a battery powered one today. I will test it when driving back home.

The funny part is this isn't constant. After about 15 minutes or so it goes away. And most of the drive time it's fine. The last trip we took we didn't have this problem at all. So the first trip of 5 hrs it happened and went away, the second trip no problem, this trip after about 1 hr it happened and we were ending our road trip at about at around 1 hr 15 minutes.

I looked into the engine compartment today with a flash light. No black spots at any connection I could see, and what I could grab seemed tight. I have a service call at Fleetwood in November, I'll have them look at it, but I'll be sure to keep the CO detector up front while driving.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
How high is the CO reading from the alarm?

Don't have a permanent one on the MH and I've yet to find the one we had in the fiver. I guess I will be getting a battery operated one today.

If this is you 2013 Fleetwood 40x, it should have a built in one as standard equipment!

And it is not un-common for new equipment to have power train problems such as exhaust leaks. Trucking companies keep new rigs close to home for the first 6 months because of those new rig problems. We should also expect that with our coaches and chassis.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
It will only smell before def treatment not after, hence the ex leak is someplace before the def is injected.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Streetlight wrote:
I you can smell the exhaust chances are you have an exhaust leak. The exhaust after DEF toes not have any oder.

If the exhaust doesn't have a smell then what is it I smell? It is definitely diesel exhaust, I owned enought to know that smell. The exhaust should not smell all the time not just when the DEF is applied. And it's not all the time.