cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F53 95 Vectra -- leaning to the passenger side

pryoclastic
Explorer
Explorer
When looking at the front of the coach you can see it leaning somewhat to the passenger side.

There is no way to do a CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) on this chassis so that is not in play. But the previous owner did have a "Davis Trutrac Bar" installed. I don't see how that would affect tilt but thought I would mention it.

I can level the coach with very minimal deployment of the stabilizing jacks.

This Vectra has springs on the front and air bags on the rear. So I am thinking that maybe the air bags are out of adjustment?? My thoughts are to make sure it is calibrated to factory and see what it looks like after that.

Does anyone know or know where to find maintenance information on what the factory ride height spec is for the air bags?

Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks!
2011 Sightseer 35J
1995 Vectra 34RA
7 REPLIES 7

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful working on an air suspension system. Have safety equipment set up to keep chassis from crushing you.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Jet Air Ride PDF

Both left and right height control valves.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that is NOT a standard F53 leaf spring with air bag assist.

SO, the next question is whether you have RIDE HEIGHT VALVES on both sides in the rear. If so, may be as simple as adjusting them.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have Jet Air Ride which was a Winnebago option. Call their customer service which can give you proper chassis to ground height spec's. They may have a procedure advising you how to adjust ride height.

pryoclastic
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 / mfox20, thanks for the replies.

Regarding what rear suspension the coach has I am going to have to say I don't know the correct term to use to describe it.

Here is a picture showing the suspension when I did a full bearing/seal/brake replacement shortly after I purchased the coach.

There is a fairly good sized bolt through the bottom of the plate of the air bags and I noticed that on one side the bolt extends down and out a couple of inches whereas the other side is flush with the plate.

Does that factor in?

The level adjustment for the coach has an option to operate it in manual mode or automatic. The leaning of the coach can be observed when the air system is in automatic mode and it thinks it has reached its "level" point.

If I forget to put it into manual mode when leveling the coach, I can hear the system dumping air or pumping air depending on the situation which is why I was thinking the ride height was somehow off.

Thanks for the help!
2011 Sightseer 35J
1995 Vectra 34RA

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Weak rear springs can also cause the front lean. I have reworked a 94 P-30 chassis and a 2000 f53 chassis for the right front lean. Spring shop added an additional leaf on both rear leaf springs and that fixed the lean on both motorhomes.

Let us know what you end up doing to fix the issue.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Neither CHF nor the track bar have any effect on this.

You said your rear suspension is AIR. Is it straight air (like with ride height valves) OR is it the stock Ford F53 leaf spring suspension with SUPPLEMENTAL AIR BAGS?

If the latter, first thing is to deflate the air bags and see if the leaf springs on that side have failed and/or if there is excessive wear in the shackles/spring bushings. The supplemental air bags can assist, but not overcome a failed leaf spring.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/