Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F53 motorhome towing 7k realistic?

Db327
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We just purchased a 2019 THOR ACE 27.2 on a Ford F53 chassis, GCWR 23000, GVWR 16000, thus 7k towing capacity.

We plan to tow near the 7k towing capacity. Would you recommend an additional transmission cooler?

We previously owned a 2005 class c e450 motorhome with 5k towing capacity. That transmission overheated when towing 4k pounds. Adding a transmission cooler solved that problem.

I'd appreciate any info whether the 2019 f53 towing specs are realistic, or whether to immediately add a transmission cooler and/or fan.

Thanks, Dave
17 REPLIES 17

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Most Gassers the hitch is only rated 5,000 pounds so the answer is NO

Their hitch is rated at 8,000 pounds. Many of the newer F53 motor homes now have 8k rated hitches. Our 2018 Miramar has an 8k hitch. Just need to make sure you stay at or below the GCWR.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most Gassers the hitch is only rated 5,000 pounds so the answer is NO

Your towing limit is the lesser of the difference between the max CGVW minus the weight of the RV loaded for travel (Full water tank) and the hitch rating. Usually it is the former. but in your case it may be the latter.. Check the hitch there should be a label somewhere near the receiver.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Db327 wrote:
Chum lee,

Thanks for the advice. I asked the local Ford dealer if they would install the cooler, but they won't work on vehicles that large. They recommended a nearby Ford authorized repair shop to install it. Hopefully Ford wouldn't complain about their work.

Thanks, dave

IMO, that's a good plan. Make sure that someone with a shirt that says FORD (or Ford authorized) on it does the work and save the receipt! I worked at a Ford dealer in the service/parts department years ago. I've seen more than a few knock down drag out arguments take place in the service drive over expensive warranty repairs and who pays. When it came to customer sponsored vehicle modifications under factory warranty, the customer usually lost the argument. Even when they won, . . . . . they still lost.

"Hey daddy/grandpa, Why are we stopped here? How much longer till we get to Wally World?"

Sorry kids, not on this trip! (don't be that person)

Chum lee

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I find the recommendations to add a cooler interesting. I found that true when I had a 460/E4OD but on my 2006, no way would I ever worry about it. I tow 5K and don't recall seeing the tranny temp ever get a few degrees above normal even when lugging up hills in hot weather.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Db327 wrote:
Thanks for all quick responses!

The hitch is rated at 8k.

Before we bought it, the dealer claimed the GVWR rating was wet (all tanks full). Thor said no, GVWR was measured with 1/4 of gas only.

It looks like we need to fill it up and load it up and get it weighed.

Btw, we live in Colorado, so mountain driving is also a factor.

Thanks again, Dave

You'll never know for sure, until you try it, but with your setup, you should be good to go.
I mean, we used to tow over a ton too much, with the tranny being the only weak link. Yeah, it suffered in the heat of summer on long 6% grades, but only then and we got by with it for years.
Usually by going into low and staying at 25mph.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Db327
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee,

Thanks for the advice. I asked the local Ford dealer if they would install the cooler, but they won't work on vehicles that large. They recommended a nearby Ford authorized repair shop to install it. Hopefully Ford wouldn't complain about their work.

Thanks, dave

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Just because you are within your GCWR, it is still possible to overload your rear axle due to the additional tongue weight, especially if you load the trailer to its maximum weight. If you don't load your RV properly, you could be too light on the front, and too heavy on the back axle.

Since you are under Ford factory warranty, make sure whatever modifications you make to your new chassis are approved by Ford. (read/understand your factory warranty) If you add your own ATF cooler and do it improperly, (in Ford's opinion) then have ATF overheating problems, Ford warranty claims can/may blame YOU (or your installer) in the event of a failure. Arguments over "who pays" in the service drive are not a good thing when/if you are on the road.

Chum lee

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Db327 wrote:
Hi,

We just purchased a 2019 THOR ACE 27.2 on a Ford F53 chassis, GCWR 23000, GVWR 16000, thus 7k towing capacity.

We plan to tow near the 7k towing capacity. Would you recommend an additional transmission cooler?

We previously owned a 2005 class c e450 motorhome with 5k towing capacity. That transmission overheated when towing 4k pounds. Adding a transmission cooler solved that problem.

I'd appreciate any info whether the 2019 f53 towing specs are realistic, or whether to immediately add a transmission cooler and/or fan.

Thanks, Dave

not so fast. thereโ€™s more to determining the maximum safe towing weight.

the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

- the weight rating of your tow bar
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Db327
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all quick responses!

The hitch is rated at 8k.

Before we bought it, the dealer claimed the GVWR rating was wet (all tanks full). Thor said no, GVWR was measured with 1/4 of gas only.

It looks like we need to fill it up and load it up and get it weighed.

Btw, we live in Colorado, so mountain driving is also a factor.

Thanks again, Dave

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Have you had your coached weighed loaded for travel and done the math to know what the exact capacity is? I've never trusted the numbers on the sticker and had any coach I have ever owned weighed for travel (water, food, fuel, people, clothes etc). I can almost promise you, once you do that you won't have near the 7k.

I always found it funny that the weights they claim are always nice even round numbers. That tells me it's an average or an estimate and not actual weights.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
add a cooler.

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of variables here, such as towing speed, terrain, etc. I spent over 10 years in an E-450 Class C towing about 6k with zero issues, and last summer changed it up to a F53 Class A and towed the same load all season with zero issues. Looking at forums, specs, ratings, etc is always good for research purposes, but odds are good you simply won't know until you try.
'18 Jayco Alante 31R

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know some newer F53 Class As come with a 8K hitch. Our 2018 Miramar comes with an 8K hitch although towing 7K would put us over GCWR.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
s N s wrote:
What's your hitch rated for regarding weight???? Most on gas Class A's are only rated for 5000#.

This.

Just because your GVWR is 16,000 and your GCWR is 23,000 doesn't mean you're rated to tow 7,000.

X2

GCWR

GVWR