cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F53 Ride-rite air springs - Help

WilsonCampers
Explorer
Explorer
I'm installing some Firestone ride-rite air springs on the front my 2006 F53 Chassis.

The installation guide recommends that you mount one side of the mount behind the U-bolts on the springs... however -- I cant seem to get mine in there and even if I could... the other side of the bottom mount of the ride rites wouldn't be flat and I'd be bolting it to the spring at an angle.

Has anyone else seen something similar? I was thinking of just mounting them forward of the spring U-bolts but I wasn't sure if they'd shift while driving.
10 REPLIES 10

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
WilsonCampers wrote:
One more question - did you remove the bump stops? Or if you replaced them with another set, where did you find a more narrow set that didn't rub the airbags?

Yes the bump stops were removed and I just ordered a set made for the F-53 chassis year, if yours don't fit than maybe you got the wrong bags.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what mine look like.

Front

Rear

They helped some on body roll and such much not as much as Koni shocks and the sway bar mod. Being able to reestablish correct ride height for a given load is the big advantage. Also being able to level when parking lot boon docking also.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

WilsonCampers
Explorer
Explorer
One more question - did you remove the bump stops? Or if you replaced them with another set, where did you find a more narrow set that didn't rub the airbags?

WilsonCampers
Explorer
Explorer
Timmac - Thanks so much for your response and pics. I was afraid that if I mounted them as you did that the bottom clamp wouldn't make full contact at an angle.

I really appreciate your help!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the four corner air bags and adjust the air pressure as needed. I pump them up to around 80psi when there are heavy winds and lower the pressure to around 25 psi with no wind and this smooths out the ride.

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
Sumo springs are the only way to go for ride, body roll, cross wind for and F53.
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it does help with body roll, I have air bags front and back, however you only need about 20-25 psi in front and in back I use 65 psi cause I pull a trailer with about 650 lbs of tonged weight.

You also need to stiffen the sway bars.

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of results did you get after installing these? I have the F53 2006 chassis. I am considering putting these on. I have a lot of body roll and hoping that these would correct some of that. Thanks
Mark

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Pics of my airbags in front 2007 F-53 chassis

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
One side is mounted behind U bolt and other in front of U bolt and yes it sits at a slight angle, I am going to be loading pics in a moment for you.