cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Falcon 19 footer - 1986 - newbie with questions

d0n1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks I recently bought a 1986 falcon 19 at an auction in PA. It was unloved for a few years but I'm having a blast bring it back to really nice condition. Lots to do including resealing the roof and all windows.

I have a few questions now and may have more later...

1. did some of these come without a holding tank level indicator panel? Mine has no button to push to check the tank levels. I know these panels are often not very accurate anyway and I can certainly live without it BUT I'm surprised to see it missing.

2. It appears to have the original fridge. It's small and brown with a pin to hold it closed. It has a tiny freezer on top without its own door. Anyway... it works great but how do I know if it's a 2 or 3 way fridge AND how do I switch it between sources of power? I can't even figure out how to turn the fridge off! Currently my LP is empty and my coach battery is dead so the fridge is running on 110v.

3. Does anyone have a working NUCHRON green LED clock for sale? Mine does not work.

147 REPLIES 147

401nailhead
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread, saw it for first time today, great job on fixing up, and great pictures throughout. I have a 1996 Coachmen on a Chevy. Hope to be able to do just a fraction of what you have done. I'd definitely keep it for getting away from it all when you need to.

d0n1
Explorer
Explorer
thanks! Its been a fun project

924guy
Explorer
Explorer
Great progress on an outstanding project!
Eric
92 Coachmen Class B, Dodge chassis
The War Wagon...
https://www.facebook.com/BedraggledClassBCampers

d0n1
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: We decided to keep the Falcon and finish the restoration. It now has a new home inside our 26 x 50 garage. Living near Atlanta, we knew we had to have the A/C system working 100%. I took it to a great place called "Cool-it" auto air and heat @ 1480 Veterans Memorial Hwy SW, Mableton, GA

The AC system had never been maintained and basically needed EVERYTHING replaced. Almost $1000 later and the AC system is now all new and blows ICE COLD!

Next project is to have new carpet installed in the camper. I have found a company and the right carpet. I just need to free up $550 to pay for it!

After that, I need to install the new holley carb and find the leak in the propane system.

It is turning into a nice vintage camper!

Roger_n_Wanda
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a vent above the refrigerator? You might be able to store something there but you don't want to block off too much airflow.

d0n1
Explorer
Explorer
Assyrian_Elvis wrote:
rwj146 wrote:
It's good to read you had a safe trip. I've enjoyed reading your work on your RV.

Bit of a culture shock going from NY to Atlanta I would guess.. Good Luck. Bob J.

Did you sell the falcon yet? I saw u had listed it on ebay

No, decided to hang on to it for a while. Still have a few things to do to make it 100% perfect and then maybe sell it for top dollar then.

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
Assyrian_Elvis wrote:

Ol grouch I always see u post ur van or craigslist, why u post it if u dont sell it? I dont get it

It was sold but the fellow didn't have any money. If I sell it, i plan to replace it with a trailer that fits in the same spot. This will give me a little more room and have one less drivetrain to take care of. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. I won't lose sleep over it. I have a small house on a small lot. Beside the motorhome, I have two pickups, three cars and two utility trailers. A camping trailer will reduce my insurance cost by a substantial amount per year.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

Assyrian_Elvis
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol' grouch wrote:
d0n1 wrote:
We've actually decided that once we move to Georgia full time in 2 months, we will no longer need the Falcon...so, it's for sale currently. See it on ebay now or just read this thread to understand what a well sorted Falcon it is. It is located in marietta Ga.

I've had mine for sale and had some interest but I'm also having second thoughts. If I have a rough week, I head away, at least 100 miles, and spend the night reading or something. It's a whole lot cheaper than a hotel room.

Ol grouch I always see u post ur van or craigslist, why u post it if u dont sell it? I dont get it
1989 COACHMEN FORD ECONOLINE 250, 2ND OWNER, VAN FROM LAS VEGAS 44000 ORIGINAL MILES MINT CONDITION MORE PICS ON MY FACEBOOK MARSHALL KHAMOU

Assyrian_Elvis
Explorer II
Explorer II
rwj146 wrote:
It's good to read you had a safe trip. I've enjoyed reading your work on your RV.

Bit of a culture shock going from NY to Atlanta I would guess.. Good Luck. Bob J.

Did you sell the falcon yet? I saw u had listed it on ebay
1989 COACHMEN FORD ECONOLINE 250, 2ND OWNER, VAN FROM LAS VEGAS 44000 ORIGINAL MILES MINT CONDITION MORE PICS ON MY FACEBOOK MARSHALL KHAMOU

Assyrian_Elvis
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol' grouch wrote:
Elvis, you have the same conversion unit I have. Mine is based on a GMC chassis but the window placement and roof mounting is identical to mine. If you've ever wondered, Coachmen had three models and we both have the Horizon.

Ive noticed that ford n dodge vans look longer since the wheels are closer together and there is a large overhang in the back, just wondering why does chevy make their vans wheels apart so wide?

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Great job. Nice to see this type of restoration.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

d0n1
Explorer
Explorer
ol' grouch wrote:
d0n1 wrote:
We've actually decided that once we move to Georgia full time in 2 months, we will no longer need the Falcon...so, it's for sale currently. See it on ebay now or just read this thread to understand what a well sorted Falcon it is. It is located in marietta Ga.

I've had mine for sale and had some interest but I'm also having second thoughts. If I have a rough week, I head away, at least 100 miles, and spend the night reading or something. It's a whole lot cheaper than a hotel room.

I hear ya! The more you do to your class B, the less you want to sell it. It becomes very personal and sort of takes on a life of its own. :C

My father always said... "you can't marry this stuff"... meaning, have fun fixing it up, use it for a bit and then sell it on. Hopefully, making a little profit for the next project.

d0n1
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
You are whimsical don1.

LOL how so?

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
You are whimsical don1.