Fire Hazard Appliance Recalls UPDATED NORCOLD INFO 11-20-2010

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
182 REPLIES 182

loydt
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer has my warranty parts in. Im scared to have it done because Im afraid it will make my fridge stop working!!!!!
2021 Jayco Seismic 4212 (on order)
2021 Jayco White Hawk 32BH
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 CC Cummins/Aisin Laramie Longhorn

ticat900
Explorer
Explorer
what is the purpose of the second recall? exactly whats involved and is it a upgrade to first recall or?
The norcold deal(possible overheating) only when on propane or on both ways?

rochelle54
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2000 Monaco Dynasty with a 1200 series model Norcold refrigerator. The refrigerator is original and worked fine. A reputable RV dealer completed the first recall and everything still worked fine. The same dealer recently completed the second recall and three weeks later the unit stopped working. I was told the cooling unit leaked coolant. Norcold would not offer any assistance because of the age of the unit. It cost us several thousand dollars for a brand new unit. We are not happy with Norcolds position, but we understand that the age of the refrigerator was the issue. I assume 11 years is about the life expectancy for this refrigerator.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Doug and Cassi Glass wrote:
I had the recall done on11/9/10 and the recall parts quit 1/7/11. Stuck in Key West with a fridge full of spoiling food. Norcold will expedite the replacement parts with a call from the only repairman in town. He refused to make the call saying I could wait my turn like everyone else.

Great customer service.

No reason for your food to be spoiling. Just go to a Wal-Mart and buy an ice box and do it the way we done it before we got all this fancy motorhomes. What has happened is that we are spoiled and expect miracles. It is too bad the service man gave you that answer to wait your turn, but that is life.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
I had the recall done on11/9/10 and the recall parts quit 1/7/11. Stuck in Key West with a fridge full of spoiling food. Norcold will expedite the replacement parts with a call from the only repairman in town. He refused to make the call saying I could wait my turn like everyone else.

Great customer service.

rpj
Explorer
Explorer
I did not receive a notice from Norcold about the recall but a friend lost his 42 footer to fire. Subsequently I started checking only to find that my 1200 LRIM was now included in their mass recall. I called a local repair man here in Tucson and was told I'd have to wait 3 weeks to get the part but they would install it when the part came in. That was early in December and Christmas Eve my unit failed.

I was lucky not to have had a fire myself. Today I had a rebuilt cooling unit installed and saw how hot it had become. I did gamble after Norcold informed me to shut it down and unplug it because I had medications inside that required refrigeration. Made no difference to the company that I needed cooling and I figured after 6 years, what could a couple more days make.

I found out.

If anybody decides to start a class action against that company for using inferior materials in this units, I would like to throw my name into the ring. The rebuilt units has three time the thickness in the lining of the boilers on these models and I'm sure that Norcold knew about the thinness of their walls

If you are contemplating a new rig, don't buy one with a Norcold 1200 refrigerator.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
slickest1 wrote:
Had my recall done on norcold, my dealer (recommended by norcold) had to wait over a month toget the parts. They were called twice by dealer, and twice by myself. However they did come through with the parts and $50.00 gas card. When they pulled my fridge, they noticed there was a cap missing on top of flue. The underside of my roof was charred from the unshielded heat! Just thought I would pass that on, don't know if it was Norcold or Holiday Ramblers mistake.

The $50.00 was with the previous recall. The one where they changed the insulation and installed some other electrical equipment. They had to pull the refrigerator out for that recall.
But for the latest recall they were not giving the $50.00.
Which recall did you have done?
2017 Buick Envision

rabirtz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi !

A Norcold service dealer told me that the risk of fire will occur only if the refridgerator works on gas. Is it true ?
Rabirtz on the road
Bounder Turbo Diesel 2008
Southwind 2004
Fiftwheel Triple E 1996
Class C triple E 1989
Campwagon 1988

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Had my recall done on norcold, my dealer (recommended by norcold) had to wait over a month toget the parts. They were called twice by dealer, and twice by myself. However they did come through with the parts and $50.00 gas card. When they pulled my fridge, they noticed there was a cap missing on top of flue. The underside of my roof was charred from the unshielded heat! Just thought I would pass that on, don't know if it was Norcold or Holiday Ramblers mistake.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

SpareFuel
Explorer
Explorer
So the recall is not true or still under process?
Ever ran out of gas? Now's there's a solution.
Spare Fuel, the only emergency fuel solution.
http://www.sparefuel.net
Edit/Delete Message

shivam
Explorer
Explorer
hello folks..........
m new to this forum............

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Bullhead Bob wrote:
Had our NORCOLD re-call work completed in Bullhead city..no problems
with the fridge.. except.. while camp hosting this summer in the Prescott Area... ( Cooler than bullhead city) noticed the Fridge is
not freezing the ice cream as firm as it used to and the cooling fan seems to be running (Starting and stoping)excessivly.
These things may or may not be related to the norcold fix.
But everything worked fine before the repairs were made.
The fridge is 12 yr's old so maybe we have just worn it out.

Have you ever thought that maybe the 120 degrees at Bullhead might have had something to do with the frig not getting as cold as usual. I was there for a week last week and it was so hot I don't think I want to go back in the summer time again. Drove to Vegas and it was almost as bad 110 degrees.
The recall shouldn't have nothing to do with the cooling. I had it done a year ago and it has worked the same as before. But at Davis Dam the ice cream would probably not get hard or frozen as it would in cooler areas of the country.
2017 Buick Envision

Bullhead_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Had our NORCOLD re-call work completed in Bullhead city..no problems
with the fridge.. except.. while camp hosting this summer in the Prescott Area... ( Cooler than bullhead city) noticed the Fridge is
not freezing the ice cream as firm as it used to and the cooling fan seems to be running (Starting and stoping)excessivly.
These things may or may not be related to the norcold fix.
But everything worked fine before the repairs were made.
The fridge is 12 yr's old so maybe we have just worn it out.
Bob

papaterk
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the recall done. My experience was not too good. They changed out the "Cooling Unit", which covered their liability. The following season it would not operate on A/C voltage. I called and they told me the 12 months had expired and they would not fix it. The dealer told me the same thing. The unit was used about 18 Hours after the recall was completed. Prior to the recall it had worked fine every time I used it. I am very disappointed with this and would never own another NORCOLD product, or recommend one either!

MrDoneIt65
Explorer
Explorer
Technician showed up at my motorhome Tues evening. Took about an hour to fix it, had to pull the refrig. Said they don't have to do it to Dometic but do to Norcold. Put new insulation on exhaust tube and limit switch near propane ignition area. Has a breaker button on it that must be reset if the refrig under propane operation gets to hot. So it is fixed. "On the road again" with cold beer, potato salad, baked beans, medium rare steaks, and fresh cold watermellon. Life is grand!
'02 Southwind 37U towing '05 Chevy Colorado with Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy. 8100 GM/Workhorse Chassis. Retired UAW-GM.