cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flooring upgrade...

bobphoenix
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought the Coachmen, the first objection I had was the original flooring that was buckled and shrunken at the edges. But the salesman said "hey, if your kind of handy it won't take much to replace it...

Funny enough, he was right...!

I pulled up the old vinyl and there was a nice clean, flat sub-floor and after pulling up the cheap corner bead... the old floor nearly jump out of the coach by itself...

The Home Depot has vinyl "plank" flooring, by Allure the is self adhearing and "floats"... It's a breaze to install and the amount needed to replace the old vinyl is inexpensive... And, oh the look and feel of new flooring!!!

"The ultimate camping trip was the Lewis and Clark expedition."
~ Dave Barry

2000 Coachmen CATALINA MILLENNIUM EDITION, Class A - Gas
16 REPLIES 16

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I used the Allure that glues itself together. I put a strip of contact cement down the center and have had no problems with seperation.

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Ijust finished with Allure in our 88 Bounder. I can't speak for longevity obviously, but here are points:
1) inexpensive
2) child's play to install
3) many color choices (at least at my local HD - about 30+ finishes

Cons:
1) not really good in areas with WILD temp swings. If I lived much farther north than 45' lat I probably wouldn't risk it. It is designed for INDOORS, after all.
2) If you don't get the seams tight, dirt WILL collect in crevices. But then that would be true about any plank or tile flooring.

That's about it. For not a lot of money, and about two full days of work, I'm satisfied. Considering the absolute crud that came out with our carpet, it's a world of improvement.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

LaPlaya
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to go with that Allure product, but living in Ontario Canada, I was told it won't take the cold and fluctuating temps while it sits for the winter in storage.
2001 Fleetwood Flair 31A

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
The key with allure is to roll it good. It will not spread if it is pressed. Mine scuffed easily however.

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
I did Allure on a previous coach and wouldn't use it again.

It was a huge improvement over the dirty old carpet but it didn't stand the test of time - the seams started to separate eventually. This next time I am going to go to a glued down engineered wood - a lot more work but should last longer.

bobphoenix
Explorer
Explorer
I liked the Allur in Oak because it was nearly an exact match for the cabinet vaneer... My home Depot had a number of different colors... (check with the store or online....)

The real trick is to find corner bead in the right color...

Oh, and don't forget to get rid of that section of factory plastic corners that sits where the flooring is going to go... it's much easier to cut off than cut around.

Bob
~ Dave Barry

Glor-E-B
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at Allur products last week at Home Depot. I liked the overlapped tab adhesive vinyl type but there are only two color choices. Allure also offers a clic lok product approximate same thickness.It is a floating floor, no adhesives. Has anyone used this yet in a class A? clamis on the package to be waterproof. comes in various wood prints as well as stone & marble. Thoughts?

Doc_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
That looks great! We like the Allure as well, tried a peel and stick, not so good. buckelled and peeled up. Next project to replace the replacement. Got to love older coaches.
1993 Fleetwood Flair 22D "Cat One"

USN(RET)
Fire Captain(Career)
Fire LT(Volunteer)

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put liquid nails under mine (a tiny layer) because I was worried it would become "unsticky". Did you get a solid stick?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
You have a couple options: you can use a rubber or vinyl transition that will go from 3/8 with a lip that you can insert the 33/8 material in and that slopes to zero. Or a flat metal or T moulding.
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

bobphoenix
Explorer
Explorer
bobphoenix wrote:
surf bum wrote:
Looks great! How did you do the edge boarders and the door step? I'm getting ready to install pergo, trying to get an idea what other people are doing.

Haven't done the front yet... (still carpet... and the step s already non-skid rubber...

The edging is the original, I was careful about pulling up the old corner bead... As for putting it back... I sleaned all the old nail holes and I used a brad nailer from Harbour Freight... ($29.99 with long finish nails. short brads and staples included...)

But, I think I'm going to replace the all the OEM with a better grade of corner mold when I do the Dinette...

Surf Bum,
I looked at Pergo today when I went to get more vinyl plank... it's really thick stuff... (about tree times thicker than any type of vinyl flooring...

Normally that's not much of a problem until you try to transition into spaces where you are not going to replace the flooring in... then you'll be faced with a pretty big transition...

The Pergo is nearly a full 3/8 inch thick and the vinyl products are only 3/16 inches...
~ Dave Barry

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
you can use stair nose rubber or wood. If you use stair nose metal, select silver. The gold stuff wears off to silver
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

bobphoenix
Explorer
Explorer
surf bum wrote:
Looks great! How did you do the edge boarders and the door step? I'm getting ready to install pergo, trying to get an idea what other people are doing.

Haven't done the front yet... (still carpet... and the step s already non-skid rubber...

The edging is the original, I was careful about pulling up the old corner bead... As for putting it back... I sleaned all the old nail holes and I used a brad nailer from Harbour Freight... ($29.99 with long finish nails. short brads and staples included...)

But, I think I'm going to replace the all the OEM with a better grade of corner mold when I do the Dinette...
~ Dave Barry

Garand1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great........My wife and I are thinking of replaceing most of the carpet in our 96 Bounder