cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford V10 with 4 speed or 5 speed transmission

skes
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at my first class A. I've settled in on a used 29 or 30 foot Winnebago. It looks like they changed from a 4 speed to a 5 speed in 2006. I'm wondering what difference I would expect to experience between the two transmissions. Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
frankdamp wrote:
I gave up RV'ing a few years ago. our last rig was an '02 Georgetown 32-footer with the V-10 engine. I'm sure it had a 5-speed transmission, but can't nip outside to check. I sold it about 5 years ago.

I'm probably remembering wrongly!

The 5 speed never showed up until 2006 behind the V-10.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up RV'ing a few years ago. our last rig was an '02 Georgetown 32-footer with the V-10 engine. I'm sure it had a 5-speed transmission, but can't nip outside to check. I sold it about 5 years ago.

I'm probably remembering wrongly!
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

map40
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! A lot of information, some not right.
Tranny: In 06 ford went with the 5 speed. It is a totally different controller with the same transmission gears but a split top end. This means that it allows you to use engine breaking in Tow-Haul mode (keeps the engine at higher RPM at any speeds reducing wear and tear in the powertrain and giving you engine breaking). The 4 speed only has an overdrive that forces the tranny in 3rd gear or allows you to force it into 4th gear even when it is calling for 3rd. If you really know what you are doing with the transmission, you can manually handle the 4 speeds to work as good as the 5 speeds in controlling downhill slowdowns or fuel consumption, but the 5 speed is a much better transmission.
Engine: The 3 valve 362HP V10 was only installed in the Class A models. Class C kept the 305HP configuration.
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
Detroit Chassis did not build a 2005 Ford F53 chassis. Went from the 2004 v10/2v/4spd engine/trans to the 2006 v10/3v/5spd engine/trans. VIN for my 2005 Bounder is for a 2004 F53 F550 Strip Motorhome chassis built 01 Jun 2004. My Bounder was built 01 Nov 2004 as a 2005 model, with a 2005 Fleetwood FIN. I have a friend with a 2006 Bounder, and his is built on a 2006 chassis.
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I have never had a stock V10, mine has the Banks Power Pack with Trans Control. I have read here that without some tweeking the old four speed trans on cruise control there was a lot of gear searching on very slight grades. I run on CC a lot and don't have that problem. I am very happy with my 2001 engine.

Yes the stock program that ford supplies does not do anything for the performance. I also had a 5star tune on my 02 V-10 Excursion. Performed the way it should have from the factory. However the Ford cruise control is very lazy. It lets too much mph drop before the throttle opens. By then itโ€™s too late and itโ€™s kicking down to get the speed back up . This was even with the tune. I learned to watch the road and give it a bit of throttle to keep it from kicking down.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 30 ft. Class C on a Ford E-450 chassis and it has a 4-speed trans. Sure, I would like it to be 5 speed but one can live with 4 just fine. The goal is to have a gear(ratio) to match every demand to prevent big changes in RPM's downshifting and upshifting. But, remember when Chevy cars and pick-ups only had 2 speed powerglide trans. It still worked.
Jayco-noslide

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
steved28 wrote:
Gjac wrote:
The greater advantage to buying a MH 2006 or newer chassis is the increase of HP and 3 valve engine (362 HP).

Are you sure of this? I don't think my 08' had a 3 valve engine in my class C. I have it now in my 2019 class A. Noticeable difference, especially mated to a 6 spd. tranny.

Your class C doesn't have the three valve engine because it's built on the E series chassis rather than the F53 chassis that a class A is built on. The E series chassis never got the three valve engine due to space limitations in the chassis (the three valve heads are apparently larger than the two valve ones). Even the current 2019 production uses two valve heads on the V10.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
steved28 wrote:
Gjac wrote:
The greater advantage to buying a MH 2006 or newer chassis is the increase of HP and 3 valve engine (362 HP).

Are you sure of this? I don't think my 08' had a 3 valve engine in my class C. I have it now in my 2019 class A. Noticeable difference, especially mated to a 6 spd. tranny.

He's correct. I thought the changeover was 2005 but it might have been 2005. Your '08 definitely had the 3-valve. The 2016+ does make more low-end torque however, even though it's rated at less HP for greenhouse-gas emissions compliance.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

jy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 99 coachman 33 foot with Im assuming the 4 speed.Transmission was so so.Bought and installed the Banks transcommand.Best money I ever spent.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had a stock V10, mine has the Banks Power Pack with Trans Control. I have read here that without some tweeking the old four speed trans on cruise control there was a lot of gear searching on very slight grades. I run on CC a lot and don't have that problem. I am very happy with my 2001 engine.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:

2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Where you will notice the difference is in the gear spacing from a standing start. He 4 speed has a very wide spread. Meaning the rpm drop from first to second is ridiculous! It was very noticeable in my 02 V-10 Excursion. However a swap from 3.73 to 4.30 gears took care of that and made OD useable on the highway. The 5 speed got rid of that rpm drop. I have the 5 speed in our new to is 2012 V-10 class A. It is a much better setup for the V-10.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hardly any difference, and no mileage advantage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.