cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freightliner Odometer

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tropical on a Freightliner Chassis. Twice now my odometer has reset to 0 when the main chassis batteries had died. I know there is a way to get the real miles out of the ECM. Has anybody done it and do you know what you have to get to get the true mileage?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

17 REPLIES 17

keefr
Explorer
Explorer
Some Freightliner odo's will indicate both miles and kilometers. You press and hold the trip reset switch when it is in total distance mode. A reading of 100K miles would switch to a reading of 160K kilometers.
Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - George Carlin

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
If thatโ€™s true that is a lot lower than I thought. But weโ€™ve only taken a few long trips in the last 10 years.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you found it!

As I understand it, your true mileage is 38469.9 - you don't add the two...
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:

The code worked and got me into diagnostics, but I dont have a menu option for odometer anyplace. I found an owners manual online for the Freightliner MMDC but mine doesnโ€™t have all the screens as the one in the owners manual. The literature said Freightliner came out with it in late 2004. May Motorhome is a 2004 and the LCD readout on mine looks different than the one in the manual. I donโ€™t know if I possibly got an earlier version or what is going on with it. Per the manual in the regular menus you are supposed to be able to read the odometer and the tripometer. I only have the tripometer in the regular menus. Guess Iโ€™ll try calling the company that made it unless you have any different ideas?

I just checked mine, first Service, then diagnosics, then sender, then scroll down a bunch.

Okay, I finally found it. It took a while and Iโ€™m not sure how I actually found it, but hopefully I can do it again. I had to switch the Service Menu on the first screen to RAW is what I think it said, then it gave me a different display of menus. I found one that said ODO Diff. The top number shows 38469.9 mi. Then under that is 5262.0 mi. That bottom number matches the current reading on the odometer. So now the only question is do I add 38469,9 to the bottom number to get total miles, or is 38469 the total miles? Based on what I know of past miles at the time the odometer reset, I was guessing I had about 45,000 miles on it. So adding them together gets me close to my estimate.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
If instead of the MMDC your coach has the earlier VDU I would recommend contacting FCCC (Freightliner Custom Chassis Corp) Customer Service (1-800-385-4357) to find out if that info is accessible to you on your coach.
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
If you do have an MMDC the menu item you're ultimately looking for is called "ECU vs IP" under "Service/Diagnostics/(PW=8127)/Sender"
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
It's a 2005 Freightliner Chassis.

My motorhome is a 2004 on a 2003 Chassis. According to info I found Freightliner introduced the MMDC in late 2004. But I definitely have one that looks a lot like he one in the manual I downloaded, except mine is more squared off than the one they show. But the same code worked and a lot of the same menus are there, just not odometer. At least not that I saw. Now that I have your new info Iโ€™ll go back tomorrow and take a look at that one screen again.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why my signature hasn't been showing up...
Rob - Solo Full Timer
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2005 Freightliner Chassis.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:

The code worked and got me into diagnostics, but I dont have a menu option for odometer anyplace. I found an owners manual online for the Freightliner MMDC but mine doesnโ€™t have all the screens as the one in the owners manual. The literature said Freightliner came out with it in late 2004. May Motorhome is a 2004 and the LCD readout on mine looks different than the one in the manual. I donโ€™t know if I possibly got an earlier version or what is going on with it. Per the manual in the regular menus you are supposed to be able to read the odometer and the tripometer. I only have the tripometer in the regular menus. Guess Iโ€™ll try calling the company that made it unless you have any different ideas?

I just checked mine, first Service, then diagnosics, then sender, then scroll down a bunch.

I looked through all the menus including the one under sender. What year is your motorhome?

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

Rob - Solo Full Timer
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
This is a very common problem on Freighliners with the MMDC. If you've got the MMDC, go to the "diagnostics" menu, the password is 8127. Scroll down to an item that says "odometer compare" or something like that. It will show you what what is recorded in the ECU and the IP.

Most say Freightliner won't do anything about it. Mine odo dropped to about 62k from 115k a few weeks ago. I'm not going to do anything about it except disclose the real number if/when I sell the coach.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
I had a fault with a rear air tank sensor (micro-computer) and when I picked the rig up from Freightliner in Sacramento, CA I found the odometer has 43,000 less than when I took it in. The tech couldn't explain why it happened, but stressed that federal regulations prohibit adjusting odometers. He was able to get the correct mileage from the main computer and deducted the present odometer reading from it and posted the difference on the entry doorpost. It is frustrating because I understand why no messing with the odometer, but, gollie, I wanted to PUT 43,000+ miles back on, not take it off.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it happens a lot. Thanks for the code. Iโ€™ll give it a try.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4