cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel mileage

zjaw
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 c class freedom elite 28z that we just took out to Yellowstone from Al.
We are new to rv camping but in the last year we have spent a week in key west Fl. and two weeks in yellowstone. We are thinking about buying a little larger rv a A class or super c.
What we are wondering is what kind of mileage they get both gas or des. Any help would be great. We avg. only 5.5 miles gas.
44 REPLIES 44

Flasho
Explorer
Explorer
I've been driving in various terrain for the last few weeks. Had a low of 5.8 mpg and a high of 8.1 mpg. Very common for me to get about 7 mpg.
Reinhard & Margaret,
aka, "Flash" & Maggie

2003 Winnebago Brave 36M
2012 Scion xB

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
bluwtr49 wrote:
Effy wrote:
How do you guys drive 55mph on roads that the posted speed limit is much higher? In MD I know it's against the law to drive more than 10MPH under the posted limit.

Personally, I've never heard of such a limit. Can you tell us which state have that law?

In Maryland it is considered impeding traffic IF you are driving too slow in the LEFT hand lane of a multi-lane divided highway.

In a lot of states technically you are only supposed to be in the left lane for passing. I know pa is big on this and will give you a ticket if you are simply riding in the left lane.
2013 ACE 29.2

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
36 foot Mh and in Il I get around 6-7 doing 70 on supper roads going thru NM on 40 was down to 4.5 but coming out of Flagstaff got 24
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

cherokee_psh
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
bluwtr49 wrote:
Effy wrote:
How do you guys drive 55mph on roads that the posted speed limit is much higher? In MD I know it's against the law to drive more than 10MPH under the posted limit.

Personally, I've never heard of such a limit. Can you tell us which state have that law?
I don't know if they still have the law in place or not but the State of Montana used to give out fuel conservations tickets if you were going over the posted speed limit! Only State that I know of!

In Ohio it is 15 mph under, impeding the flow of traffic. I think it is considered the same a reckless driving.

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling today from Chicago to Grand Canyon. We just filled up again outside Oklahoma City and we are averaging with our generator going and driving 63 mph 8.7. Our coach is a cross country 382ds with the 300 cummins.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our 42,000 lbs 8.3 ISL Cummins with toad averages 8.0 MPG based on thousands of miles. Normally drive 62 MPH.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
bluwtr49 wrote:
Effy wrote:

In Maryland it is considered impeding traffic IF you are driving too slow in the LEFT hand lane of a multi-lane divided highway.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
Effy wrote:

I don't know if they still have the law in place or not but the State of Montana used to give out fuel conservations tickets if you were going over the posted speed limit! Only State that I know of!

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
The hot fuel issue that gathered some steam about 10 yrs ago I believe is still yet to be resolved, things are just quieter now. Producers, at least some, claimed they were making price adjustments to compensate although I don't believe anyone held their feet to the fire on that one.

So what is hot fuel about...the oil/gas companies deliver their product to the retailer at a price based on the fuel being at or around 60 degrees but in fact is usually 80-95 in summer months and of course somewhat less in the winter, although not as low as you might think. For roughly a year I checked temperatures of fuel at the pump, north south and in-between, it was always off temp by wide margins.

Impact your cost per mile...you bet.

zjaw
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Thanks everybody for the information. Yes I know we could have slowed down and got better gas mileage. But I'm not retired yet. So we wanted to stay as long as possible in Yellowstone and had to push a little on the way back and there we only had a little over two weeks. We brought our motor home last Oct. and just love traveling in it. I am getting ready to retire in a few years. That is what got us thinking about a little larger Motor Home for when we can spent more time on the road. Again thanks for the info.

Jim

tyaughton
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. We saw signs which posted max and min speeds, generally when we entered the state. I don't recall seeing any such sign when we hit MD or VA, and we did 55 through both without issue. Some minimum speed posts were as low as 45, but I don't remember which state. Just because they post a maximum, you're not required to do it. I would never do 80 in UT (well, maybe in my car I might) but I didn't get pulled over at 55 either.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
Effy wrote:

Surprised. It's typical of roads like 95 etc. Major 2 lane highways. There is a minimum to discourage vehicles on a roadway that are too slow and thereby can contribute to an accident if you are not keeping with the flow of traffic. The MD law is; Subtitle 8 - Speed restrictions, Section 21-804 - Minimum speed regulation. Which in a nutshell says: "a person may not willfully drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. " Often it's posted (Max 65 Min 55). In VA I have seen Max 70 Min 60. So if you are on I95 in a 65 zone going 55, I would bet dollars to donuts you are impeding traffic and subsequently inviting risk.
2013 ACE 29.2

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
I drive 65 mph average and get 7.6 mpg average w/ 4800# Toad behind!

My Dutch Star ('03) Cummins/Spartan pulling a Silverado PU is exactly where you are. We usually weigh out at about 34,000# gross combined weight. I drive as fast or as slow as I feel is right for the circumstances which is dictated by many factors including traffic, speed limits, weather etc. and feel we are doing about average on fuel consumption. Moving a house up and down the road just isn't a very fuel efficient operation.

flapbreaker
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:

In Oregon you will not find single lane highway's with speed limits above 60 so it's not to big of a deal. There are however, some two lane highways with higher limits but with two lanes I just stay to the right so folks can get around. Also, there are lots of hills/mountain passes so you won't always be able to drive the posted speed limit even if you wanted to.