cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fuel trouble

bsport
Explorer
Explorer
MH runs good using cruise control then if I touch brake to stop,trouble I lose speed and seems to lose power, its like fuel filter is blocked . it happened today again then it run fine the rest of the day . Drove 400 miles with no trouble its like a air block with no fuel flow. I hope I'm explaining this right,put diesel pedal to floor and its like no different nothing.
17 REPLIES 17

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had this same thing happen ONCE. Came off the cruise control and hit the Jake brake and it went straight to idle and no more. Turned it off and sat awhile thinking and it started up and has been fine every since...Seems mine has no throttle cable and the module that controls the throttle is mounted back on the engine. They told me it re set when I turned it off and back on but could be caused by a brake light not going off.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
The Freightliner Help Desk will help you troubleshoot this problem.
CUSTOMER SUPPORT CENTER
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)
fcccservice@daimler.com

When you call, have the last 6 digits of you VIN number handy because they will ask for that to allow lookup of your chassis info. Up through 2016 this was a free service, so I assume it is still free.

These folks have helped me several times.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Exhaust brake is where I would start .
The exhaust brake closes to help you stop and should open back up when
you resume going . Sometime they can hang up and will not reopen properly .
A special high temp lube is necessary to lube it .
You could move the brake back and forth by hand while lubing it in a matter
of minutes .
Mine is readily accessible thru the floor hatch in the bed room .
The brake gets very hot so do this when its cool or be very careful .

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with others. Sounds like your Jake brake is hung in the on position from time to time. The cruise doesn't let off enough to activate it , but you do when you let off the pedal
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Allison shift pad changing gears that it indicates immediately before this happens?

If a single window-- is it still showing 6 when this happens or the "engine brake pre-select" gear?

If two window, is the left window doing the above?

If so, that would suggest that the exhaust brake may be coming on and not disengaging.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Could be your throttle pedal sensor/resistor is going bad (no cable) since it’s OK using the cruise...not a fuel problem.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

bsport
Explorer
Explorer
2003 mandalay Freightliner no check engine light.

ok thanks exhaust brake is what I have will check with diesel guy when I get home. Thanks have to get on road how, bsport

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance that you have a "grade brake" switch and it is turned ON ??

Sounds to me like you need to find a good diesel mechanic close to home.

P.S. That does NOT mean an RV service center.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis? Depending on how old the rig is, you may or may not have a throttle cable. Same with the OBD code, they only applied to vehicles 96 and newer. You would be getting a check engine light to indicate there was a fault code.

bsport
Explorer
Explorer
OBd code ? never tryed to see that have 1400 miles to go and thru Atlanta,and Chattanooga Sunday. how do I check the code

bsport
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner ,340 cum after this happen today just drove at 45 mph about 2 miles and then ran fine, Transmission did try to shift it self a few times,did put it back on cruise and made no difference. Last time this happen I changed fuel filter it only had about half full of fuel refilled it put it back on and it has been ok for 500 miles before this again. Air filter good its like fuel filter runs low on fuel.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
This is most likely an electronic problem, not a fuel problem. Sounds like you're going into limp home mode.

Often this is due to a faulty sensor or wiring going to a sensor.

What are the OBD codes it's throwing?