cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fueling up older gas models

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought on fueling the gas models that are decent size (over 30 ft).

Is it difficult finding fuel stops, while traveling, that handle larger vehicles? I have a smaller 27' class C towing a utility trailer and found that many service stations just don't leave room. I had a pull behind(a couple of years ago) with a diesel truck and that was easy because truck stops are made for large vehicles.

I ask this because I have had a couple of opportunities to look at gas class A types over 30 foot and was wondering about fueling up. Also might be flat towing a car which makes things even more interesting.

Thoughts?
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
15 REPLIES 15

GERALDEAN
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I never even thought of not fitting in a gas station until I read it on this forum. At about 55 ft pulling a toad I just stop when I get low. I have only seen a few that might give you trouble.

You're just lucky so far. There are plenty out there that present significant challenge to 55 and even shorter overall lengths. You are probably giving it more thought than you realize. Many of the Loves, Petros and TAs give challenges on the normal car islands. I've found fueling mid AM or mid PM avoiding the busy times is a partial solution. And, not to give too much credit for which they might otherwise not deserve, Flying J has a real plus with the RV Lanes. Only if our fellow RVers wouldn't abuse them by not pulling away when not fueling.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are 36' with a utility behind for an overall length of about 48'. We use regular gas stations most of the time. End pumps. We also do not pull up right next to it like you would with a car. We pull up to it at an angle with front end already headed towards the area we need to go to exit. The gas tank is way at the back. There have been many that we could use any of the islands.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
I amuse myself by using Google Earth to find suitable stations along likely routes and then saving screen shots of overhead and street views of such stations in a file for reference. It kills time.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
For short trips, we use the local Costco. While on long trips, we use the Flying J app. I use there trip planner and filter to RV Lanes. I note the exit and write it on a sticky note on the dash. I also use Google Earth to find alternatives when Flying J is not available. I do this every night for the following day...so far so good! Other apps such as GasBuddy and iExit are helpful as well.

Gary

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
I always gas up at the Flying J when on the road. They have RV lanes and most seem to offer enough space to maneuver around. The only problem I've had is when someone actually is going the wrong way in the fill up lane. I asked one gentleman what his problem was on this and his answer was my filler is on this side. My answer to his problem was, sir they have a pump on both sides of the island to take care of that. Enough said. Good luck and hope you enjoy all your travels. Be safe out there.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
If you are traveling in unfamiliar areas, Google Maps (in satellite mode) is your friend. I try to avoid having to turn left in/around uncontrolled intersections. Crossing major traffic while turning left into your selected station is usually a bad idea with oversize vehicles especially if you must enter using a sloped driveway. If the station is busy and people are in line waiting for gas, make sure there is sufficient area in the station to completely clear the roadway before entering the station.

Chum lee

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I never even thought of not fitting in a gas station until I read it on this forum. At about 55 ft pulling a toad I just stop when I get low. I have only seen a few that might give you trouble.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mikemc53 wrote:
Just a thought on fueling the gas models that are decent size (over 30 ft).

Is it difficult finding fuel stops, while traveling, that handle larger vehicles? I have a smaller 27' class C towing a utility trailer and found that many service stations just don't leave room. I had a pull behind(a couple of years ago) with a diesel truck and that was easy because truck stops are made for large vehicles.

I ask this because I have had a couple of opportunities to look at gas class A types over 30 foot and was wondering about fueling up. Also might be flat towing a car which makes things even more interesting.

Thoughts?

between our MH (gasser) and toad weโ€™re about 57โ€™ in total length. while i prefer to fuel at Flying J we have and do fuel at โ€˜regularโ€™ gas stations, most recently yesterday. thereโ€™s not a gas station i canโ€™t get into...getting out is a different story. first preference are stations with pump lanes parallel to the building instead of lanes that are perpendicular to the building. pull in then pull out. no turns. but weโ€™ve fueled at all types of stations over the years. best advice: be sure of your exit plan before entering. google earth can be a valuable aid in planning fuel stops.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had more 'issues' within CGs (narrow roads, trees/boulders at entrances, 90* sites etc) then ANY service station
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I seldom use anybody but Costco and have never had a problem at one of their stations. When looking at other stations I just drive slowly by the station and pick out my best ingress and egress, if there is any question about fit, I look elsewhere.

I really don't like truck stops, usually dirty and four wheelers are generally a PITA to bigger rigs. If they don't have designated RV pumps, I go on.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our total length with our toad is about 55 feet, and we rarely have any significant problems refueling at most gas stations. As said, we do sometimes wait for an end pump island to clear. The key to minimal problems is to always plan your exit before you enter the station.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I bave a 96 Southwind, 37', gas. I've never had a problem getting fuel.
You learn how to check out a gas stop quickly to decide if you can get in/out easily.
I normally don't let the tank get below 1/2, then I'm not forced to get gas at the first place I find. I can check several places until I find something convenient.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 90,000+ miles I have never had a problem fueling up. Mine is 50+ feet with the toad behind.
What I do is that once I get around 1/4 tank, I start looking for gas stations that i can fit in to. IN other words if i am driving on a road and see a station where I can get in to and out of easily, I stop. The biggest problem is waiting until you are almost empty and then you have to settle with what is close.
Fuel is used to cool the fuel pump that is located in the gas tank of many gas coaches. Running the tank close to empty too often can overheat and shorten the life of your in-tank fuel pump.
Another thing I do is at the end of the days driving, I always make sure that my tanks is close to full when I park for the night.
If you travel mostly on Interstates and stick with the stations along the highway, you will generally pay more for your fuel and that convenience. We travel a lot of the secondary roads to enjoy the scenery and we easily find small stations where we can fit. I have never had to disconnect my toad to get in to a gas station.
Since we do travel on mostly back roads is the main reason why I got rid of my diesel coach. At that time, not all small gas stations carried diesel but they all had gasoline. It was a good decision for the way we travel.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Most (not all) truck stops have pumps with enough space. Often you will have to wait for the pump you want, normally an outside island. Some truck stops have rv lanes with both diesel and gas. When traveling and looking seek out stations with pumps parallel to the road. Again, you may have to wait.

We always try to fuel up at the 1/2 full level. That takes away the pressure to find something fast. Start looking at stations as you pass by to get practice which type will work.

DW shares the driving with me and we both look and talk about stations as they come into view. Good practice if you travel with company. If not, just look on your own when you can, even when just driving a car for practice. Soon it will be no problem.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley