cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GAS CLASS A. Vs. Dually

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
So would a newer gas class A ride better or worse than a 2015 Gmc dually with a 5th wheel.
Fifth wheel sits on a BD3 hitch, which has airbags and shocks on it.

Not trying to compare to diesel class a with air bags.
Have many pets and liking the idea of a class A. Thanks.
18 REPLIES 18

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rick Jay wrote:
Valhalla360 wrote:
How so? What is so different and magical about driving a poor handling bus vs a pickup pulling a trailer?

Well, I guess the obvious answer is from the time you leave your driveway, you're in your RV with all of it's amenities available. For us, that was REALLY handy when travelling with the kids. But even for us adults, it's nice to have the potty, refrigerator and snacks available.

I can attest that it IS a real feeling though. Once I get out of the driveway, I feel the vacation has begun! ๐Ÿ™‚ Well...I get an additional "tingle" if we cross the state line heading OUT of Massachusetts!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
LOL

Plus, I've arrived at enough campsites when it was raining to know that it's really nice to just be able to park and wait for the rain to stop before I had to go out and connect or disconnect anything.

~Rick

Doesn't sound like much of a vacation if you are so focused on making miles that you have to try and function while rolling down the road with kids unbelted and knives flying but if it meets your needs...

As far as setting up in the rain, not really a huge burden to go back and sit in the 5er until the rain stops...but not a witch, so unlikely to melt in a little rain.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on the chassis rating and tires that are under the class A. My 12 37 ft class A on a 22k lb chassis rides incredible with all the add ones available for the F53. My buddyโ€™s stock 17 22k lb F53 rides like a lumber wagon.
Some of the new gas class As can be had with the Liquid Spring suspension which is supposed to ride better than a DPโ€™er! It can also be added on after wards, but itโ€™s pricey.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Valhalla360 wrote:
How so? What is so different and magical about driving a poor handling bus vs a pickup pulling a trailer?

Well, I guess the obvious answer is from the time you leave your driveway, you're in your RV with all of it's amenities available. For us, that was REALLY handy when travelling with the kids. But even for us adults, it's nice to have the potty, refrigerator and snacks available.

I can attest that it IS a real feeling though. Once I get out of the driveway, I feel the vacation has begun! ๐Ÿ™‚ Well...I get an additional "tingle" if we cross the state line heading OUT of Massachusetts!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
LOL

Plus, I've arrived at enough campsites when it was raining to know that it's really nice to just be able to park and wait for the rain to stop before I had to go out and connect or disconnect anything.

As for "poor handling", I'm not sure that can be universally applied to any type of RV/Tow combination. Our gas Class A is no sports car, but I don't really have any complaints about it's handling. I did upgrade the shocks after a couple of years, but other than that, it's a stock suspension.

Different strokes for different folks, when we bought our rig new back in 2004 we had 4 young kids and a large golden retriever. A pick-up truck was not a solution for us, and wifey didn't like the idea of trading in the minivan for a full size E-350 van to tow a large trailer.

So...motorhome it was! :B

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bruce Brown wrote:
With a camper the vacation starts after you're set up. With a MH your vacation starts as soon as you turn the key.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
deleted
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a 36' travel trailer and a Chevy 2500 crew cab diesel PU.
Switched to a diesel pusher. It made our travels much more comfortable and a lot easier. No more driving an oversize truck in cities with parking issues. I wish we had started with a DP.

Bruce_Brown
I've heard, and agree with the following;

With a camper the vacation starts after you're set up. With a MH your vacation starts as soon as you turn the key.

A few years back we owned a TT as well as our MH. The TT was a rental I pulled to the location and set it up. We don't own that any more, we still own the MH.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
My..Oh my..Oh my...!!

DW and I traveled F/T for three years after retirement, in a fiver pulled by our Chevy 2500. We hung it up several years back and built our lake house.

Last year, she decided we needed to start camping again, part time.

So, I agreed, but only in a MH.

While pulling the fiver, it seemed that we were always in downtown Houston, or another big city, you know three lanes from one side or the other, and she says..." Honey, I have to pee...right now!!"

Now, I say " Go back and take care of your business, wash your hands, and bring me a ham sandwich on the way back."

For us older folks, the MH is best.

Life is short....Try as much as you can, at least once.

Happy Travels......Skip
KillingTime

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who thoroughly test drove a Class A BEFORE deciding to purchase a Fifth Wheel and dually to tow it with - NO. The Class A will not ride better than your truck and FW. The gas Class A we test drove rocked and rolled all over the place and I knew I was going to be car sick. Not an ounce of problem with the truck and FW.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Our 07 F53 rides like a loaded F550, exactly what it is. I drove everything from 350's to KW's when I worked, and it drives EXACTLY like our F550 stake back loaded for a days work...LOL. The ride isn't harsh, just stiff. I have Bilstein shocks on it and they seem to do a decent job with it. I have 0 upgrades done to the suspension and am comfortable driving 2 fingered most of the time. I would like to upgrade my swaybars though.

That being said, my 1990 F350 Dually, loaded with a 4,500lb truck camper and towing a loaded 2011 Ranger at 4,500lbs on a uhaul car trailer at 2,250lbs rode MUCH better. Got 9 mpg over 1,100 miles with the AC on.....lol.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Assuming you aren't overloading the truck, I would give the pickup/5er the edge compared to the gas MH's I've ridden in.

Trucks ride much better when loaded up a good bit. It's empty where they can ride rough.

Now if you move into diesel pushers, it's a different game but it's also a different price range.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Ford made some improvements in their Class A chassis I think in 2020. Add the new V8 engine and it is a big improvement.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen a truck that can equal the air ride of my motor home.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With pets the choice would be clear for meโ€ฆClass A.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad