cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas Class A

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
We have camped in a Rambler Station Wagon, upgraded to a Dodge van, and Truck Campered or Travel Trailered all over the Pacific Northwest. My lovely bride is not happy with the seats in my 2007.5 6.7 Dodge diesel pickup Tow Vehicle. She actually said, out loud, maybe we should look at a Motor Home. Major shift for us, but I am thinking we should be pretty happy with a gas CLass A. We are tied to our home town until our mom passes, she is 91 and going strong, so no full time diesel pusher. Before we bought our current Toy Hauler TT, I was looking hard at the Winnebago MH. Just looking for opinions, thoughts, and ideas.
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited
25 REPLIES 25

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
A few things to consider.

We also did the tent, van, pop-up, and fiver before getting our now Class A gasser.

We only use ours five or six times a year for a week or two at a time.
WE own a diesel truck which we used to drag the fiver. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned, a 2007 model, so I started looking at the DP's.

After considering the initial cost of a newer used one and maintenance cost thereafter, I decided to go with our 2014 Tiffin Allegro, with the V-10 motor. The oil change on my gasser is less than $50.00.

As others have stated, the motor is louder going up hills, but on level roads we find it very quiet.

You probably will be parked much more than traveling, so make sure whatever you decide, you like the layout of the living quarters.

We just completed a round trip to Wyoming from Texas for the high school rodeo finals, and enjoyed every bit of our trip.

Since Covid is pretty much behind us, the used RV's have come down in price, so you may be jumping in at a good time.

When looking, I narrowed it down to the Fleetwood Bounder, Newmar, and Tiffin Allegro. We liked these for good reviews and models having the bath and a half.

WE found that Winnie had many roof design problems on some models. Check out RV Expert on You-Tube.

Good Luck....

Skip
KillingTime

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Freeway Flyer 05 wrote:
I am thinking we should be pretty happy with a gas Class A. We are tied to our home town until our mom passes, she is 91 and going strong, so no full time diesel pusher.

And the very first post is "Why I have a DP". Classic.

People (present company included) write about what they own/owned and generalize from there. For example, the guy who said his Damon has limited carrying capacity. His Damon was 37 1/2' long. IMHO, WAY too long for a Class A. Very little CCC and probably drove horribly too. My current 2001 31' Sea View has over a ton of CCC. Ergo, Class As need not have low CCC.

My first Class A was a gasser (2004 National RV). Our second one was a DP (2001 Newmar Mountain Aire). Our third and current is a gasser again (2001 National RV Sea View).

What have we learned?

• I never want a Class C. Before purchasing our current Class A, we looked at used Class Cs and were incredibly disappointed. For example, for similar pricing we found a Class A with greater carrying capacity, more storage, better floorplan, and 50A electrical (2 ACs) -- and levelers (many Class Cs don't have them and they are expensive to add).
  • I never want another DP (unless I come into a lot of money). Our 2001 Newmar was generally a joy to drive and ride in while our first RV (2004 Sea Breeze) was difficult to drive, loud, and uncomfortable. However, our DP was VERY expensive to repair. Since it was about 20 years old, expensive things (e.g., radiator) needed replacement. Yearly "tune ups" were also pricey.
  • 3rd time's the charm. So far. Our 3rd RV is a 21-year-old, 31-foot, Ford V10, one owner gasser. One owner who didn't drive it much and appears to have kept it in storage when not driving. We lucked out. It's EASY to drive. The V10 has plenty of power. It's comfortable, not an air bag ride, but comfortable. Finally, despite the up front engine, it's not loud. Go figure.

Conclusion: If you can, test drive because YRMV.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Freeway_Flyer_0
Explorer
Explorer
Good info all that have contributed so far. Comfort and floorplan are the top things we are looking at, then the chassis and manufacturer. Our trips for the next few years are not going to be any longer than a week or two, and we have time to let the RV price bubble ease off. I have always driven the RV choice, and this time the bride is taking precedence, we are taking our time.
2007 Dodge QC 4x4 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD
2014 Stealth BP TH
2017 Harley Ultra Limited

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a Winnebago Adventurer; moved onto a Itasca Suncruiser (really the same thing) and crossed the country (round trips) eight times with Jean's 80 year old mother. All was well. We are on our second DP and all is better. There is nothing wrong with a quality gas motor home!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
You didn't really say what gas MH you were looking at but it matters. You mention Winnie, but there are all flavors and years. We had a few entry level gas MH's and they did NOT ride very well at all. A lightweight, poorly insulated MH will rattle, roll and be noisy enough to render normal conversations to a screaming match. You are directly over the engine and the V-10 while very capable, is a high revving engine. The suspension isn't great either. Now if you get a higher end, well insulated, heavier rig it might be more manageable. But I don't think I have ever been in a Gas MH (and I've test driven many) that rode better than any passenger truck. If it's comfort and quiet you are after, I think you would look at a DP. Engine in the rear, heavier and an airbag suspension all make for a world of difference. There's storage too. DP's usually have a raised rail chassis which allows for a lot more storage than a gasser. And then there's CCC and towing capacity. Many gassers don't have much left by the time you add water, food, fuel, gear and people. These are usually not a concern with a DP.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

blawless
Explorer
Explorer
As was said earlier find the floor plan you like and then if its a gasser fine if a diesel fine. I have a 36' gasser and it has more storage than many diesels of the same size. Only one thing that wasn't mentioned regarding the diesel MH is the Air brakes. You will require an endorsement on your driver's license for the air brakes. This involves taking and passing air brake course before you can legally drive it. Which may or may not delay being able to drive it. In addition if you become sick etc.. (heaven forbid) while you're out and about does your significant other have the endorsement as well to be able to drive it home or to a safe location while on the road.
This unfortunately never gets mentioned in any of the diesel vs gas MH debates.
Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two biggest issues I have with a Class A gasser

1: Cargo Carrying Capacity (All the junk you bring with you) Mine was LESS THAN 1000 pounds

2: Towing: The hitch receiver was rated for 5,000 but after I substracted the GVW (not max but scaled) of the Motor home from the Max CGVW (Combined gross vehcle weight) i was only left with 4,000 for the towed.

Most Big D's have much mroe capacity in both areas.

Noise... Well this old farm boy loves the sound of a big engine working.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
We have been in a gas Class A for 6 years of traveling; living 1/2 of that time in the motorhome. For us, and many, the primary concern is comfort in the living mode. Floor plan that fits your needs and wants is most important.
Yup, the gasser is noisier up front. Handling is generally better in the DP, but not always. Most gassers handling can be improved to satify the driver/occupants.
I think the gas/diesel thing is about "want" no so much need. Depends on how much travleing (miles) you intend to do. There is lots of information out there on this gas vs. diesel discussion.
We started in a 32 ft. Winnebago and are now in a 38 ft.Tiffin Open Road. Very happy with the floor plan and comfort level.
2014 Allegro 36LA

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trackrig wrote:
The reasons I have a DP - items you don't get on gasser
1. The engine is in the rear so it's a lot quieter up front when driving
2. With the engine in the rear, the generator is up front so it's a lot quieter in the rear bedroom if you need to run it at night
3. With the engine in the rear, you don't have to crawl over the engine to get to the driver's seat
4. The seats are generally more comfortable in a DP
5. Air brakes
6. The retarder to help slow you down

Bill

In all fairness to someone who wants a complete list about a DP:
7. Not every repair shop can work on a DP. Most any mechanic knows his way around a gas engine.
8. If repairs are needed they will be much more expensive.
9. You cannot go in to Autozone, etc and get the basic parts like an air filter, oil filter, etc.
10. Diesel fuel is more expensive.

I have had both and I think you need to find a floor plan you like first, and then decide how much you intend to travel. If it involves going from one location to another, and then sit there for months, then you might want to decide if the additional cost for a DP is worth it. You have lots of decisions to make and facts to consider with any RV purchase. Good luck with your search.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
A couple years back my DW finally had enough of the "chucking", rough ride that our 1ton dually pulling a 35'5th wheel could give.

We went looking for a MH, a gas one was within budget. We found a nice 29' one that we thought fit the bill. The ride was ok, the seats were not the best but very do able. The engine noise was a little over bearing at times. Nothing that we could not get used to. On the down side that we never even thought about was storage! Being used to the large 5er the gasser had no storage neither inside or out. For weekend use it was great but for long trips not so much.

After the first year we realized we made a size mistake. So off we go looking for larger MH's. Thats when we found an older 37'DP in excellent shape. The ride so much better, its easier for DW to get up and move around when rig is in motion.

Everything that "tracking" had to say was correct. I will add think hard about how you want to use the MH. Do not get two short of a unit, as the change from toy hauler to mh is a big one.

Good Luck you have a big decission to make
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reasons I have a DP - items you don't get on gasser
1. The engine is in the rear so it's a lot quieter up front when driving
2. With the engine in the rear, the generator is up front so it's a lot quieter in the rear bedroom if you need to run it at night
3. With the engine in the rear, you don't have to crawl over the engine to get to the driver's seat
4. The seats are generally more comfortable in a DP
5. Air brakes
6. The retarder to help slow you down

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.