cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas mileage

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for gas mileage experiences with 30' -- 32' class A motorhomes with and without toads. Thanks.
28 REPLIES 28

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are headed up to Endless Caverns for a rally. With a 4500 pound toad and running the genny about 80% of the time my National SeaBreeze with the Ford V-10 got 7.1 mpg combined on the last 2 tanks....

Al

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
We seemed to always be around 8 or 9 pulling a grand Cherokee when we used to have our gas coach. 32 is a nice size rig for touring and living. We went up to a 40. Kinda big.

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
No toad (94 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 28ft) if I'm cruising ~60mph with no head wind or tail wind, level road I'll get 9.5 - 10 mpg. This is with 454 TBI w/4L80E and peak tune engine.

Throw in hills, grade/s and traffic...as low as 6.5 mpg
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I would say 7 to 8 mpg, with toad might be .5 less.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Twelve with no wind, flat ground, no toad and very light foot...possibly.

Thatโ€™s pretty good. My plane (which only weighs a little under 2,000 pounds and powered by a 6 cyl. engine) gets just 13.4 mpg.

But cruising at 160 mph itโ€™s true, the speed does reduce your mileage. :B

:B
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Twelve with no wind, flat ground, no toad and very light foot...possibly.

Thatโ€™s pretty good. My plane (which only weighs a little under 2,000 pounds and powered by a 6 cyl. engine) gets just 13.4 mpg.

But cruising at 160 mph itโ€™s true, the speed does reduce your mileage. :B

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Lon-Str wrote:
Geeze guys, I didn't intend to ruin anyone's day with my question. I have been in fifth wheels since 2000 and was just comparing. As for the afford it question, I learned growing up broke back in the fifties and sixties to ask the price of a hamburger. fortunately these days there are not many rigs out there that I couldn't AFFORD but I still ask the price of a hamburger and probably always will. Thanks all.

LOL. I guess some people have never ending pockets!

the reason we can afford to do what we do is because we ask how much! We just donโ€™t fork over money without questioning!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
Geeze guys, I didn't intend to ruin anyone's day with my question. I have been in fifth wheels since 2000 and was just comparing. As for the afford it question, I learned growing up broke back in the fifties and sixties to ask the price of a hamburger. fortunately these days there are not many rigs out there that I couldn't AFFORD but I still ask the price of a hamburger and probably always will. Thanks all.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta love the โ€œif you have to ask you canโ€™t afford itโ€ responses. Maybe some people are asking the question so they know what to expect. Maybe they think there is something wrong with theirs and they want to know what other people get?

Sheesh!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Like said before if this is so troublesome you can't afford it find a tent.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP said 30-32 ft which is usually gasser. If Ford V10 7-8, if Chevy 8-9(sometimes 10)
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just went to FL and back towing a Smart car with a 36ft DP and got 9.4 mpg average for the 1400mi trip. Driving 65-70mph

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a half to a full mpg better than when you were RVing before. If you really are concerned with mileage and fuel cost, research the Class C units on Mercedes or Ford transit bodies.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This has to be the line of the year.
"way2roll wrote:
"It gets great mileage for an apartment".
I hope he won't mind if I borrow it.

We had a bumper sticker that stated:
"There is more to life than MPGs."
The one above is better. (That bumper had to be replaced.)

I am one of "those kind" of engineers that lives his life at the bottom right corner of a spreadsheet. I know exactly what out coach costs us. I never regret that expense. We have been to and stayed in places where, without a self contained accommodations, it would have been massively impractical if not impossible.

Sure we could pack ourselves and the dogs in a small car and go between motels, but with the price of a motel these days....
Not many have kitchens and you may have to get out of your night clothes to get a cup of coffee. You can get really tired of restaurant food, and where do you stow the leftovers??

Yes, my coach is old (classic bordering on antique) and so requires a lot of attention to maintenance. But I can do that myself. She is all paid for and even the expensive parts are not that expensive.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.