cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Ok look, I understand diesels hold more storage, can hold and have heavier stuff. I also understand diesels have air bags and may/may not have a better ride and may/may not pull more and may/may not be quieter. But that all comes at a price!

For the sake of this conversation letโ€™s agree on a few perimeters.
A top of the line gasser lists around $225.000.00.
A compatible diesel will be around $300,000.00.

So letโ€™s keep our conversation located there. I donโ€™t want someone jumping in with โ€œhey I have a new Newmar Mountain Air and itโ€™s better than a gasser. If you do that Iโ€™ll be prone to say something like โ€œIm very happy for you but youโ€™re an idiotโ€!

I recently spent a good amount of time in a 2021 Entegra Emblem and 2021 Coachmen Encore. Both had the new Ford V8 and the new F53 chassis. And Iโ€™m here to tell you the gas vs diesel has been blurred to say the least.

You take the difference in price and the price to maintain them and the gas stands out as an obvious winner. Iโ€™ll hear diesel owners say โ€œOh mine goes up hill fasterโ€ and I counter with โ€œHave you gone somewhere a gas coach canโ€™tโ€? All I hear then is Crickets. And then thereโ€™s โ€œOh but my diesel will go 500,000 miles and a gas will do half of that. And I say โ€œYes and for what you pay to rebuild your diesel, I can put in a new engine and transmission and have money left over for a month out west and summer in Alaskaโ€! Yes more crickets.

The prevailing wisdom has been. Their all the same at the park and there's a lot of truth to that. But getting there has become much better in the new top tear gassers. Iโ€™m not saying thereโ€™s not good reasons to buy a diesel because there are. Just be smart and not buy one because someone says a diesel is better. Because thatโ€™s not necessarily right for you.

I was recently talking to someone with a known RV channel who have a Newmar BayStar and love the Coach. But they really-really-really want a diesel as soon as the can! Silly me I asked why? They looked at me as much to say โ€œWhatโ€™s wrong with youโ€? And I admit itโ€™s a multiple choice questions. But if they were honest when we were done talking, they no longer had the same assurance as when the conversation started.

Get what you want but get if for the right reason and whisking a gas coach away because itโ€™s a gas coach could be a huge mistake! Folks will add remarks below as they should. But be open minded and grounded into what you really need and then what you want will fill in nicely! Find the floorplan you like, thatโ€™s critical mass right there!
50 REPLIES 50

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Have had all of the them. It is a lifestyle choice! Like generator or solar, sat or streaming, light beer or reg beer and on & on. We have a diesel pusher now and happy but were happy when we had the gasser and a 5er. Get what you can afford and have enough money to use your RV. Too many people over-extend on the purchase then can't afford the traveling.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer said: โ€œDutch Star is far from perfect. HOWEVER, there is no gas-engine motorhome that'll match it.โ€

Thatโ€™s my point, or at least part of it. My coach cost just undert a million bucks new. Now how could that possibly match up with a $200,000 gas coach? In short it canโ€™t! But what it can do is strand alone as a nice comfortable coach to be enjoyed for years!

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I owned, and used, five(5) pre-owned gas-engined motorhomes PRIOR to special-ordering my diesel-pusher Dutch Star. BUT, I knew from the start that there was NO gas motorhome that would satisfy my basic knowledge of RV design. The problem was, and still is, that I always insisted on paying cash for any motorized vehicle that I bought (including aircraft). This simply means that I've never bought a top shelf vehicle. I always bought a compromise vehicle.
I have a lot of experience and education, both of which have significantly enhanced my intuition. Yes, I believe you can enhance your initial intuition (requires explanation, I know).
Back to the subject: The Spartan chassis under my Dutch Star has some excellent design features, such as big tires, a 276 inch long wheelbase, a big rear-mounted torky engine with a big side radiator and big hydraulic-motored fan, a great IFS suspension with excellent steering system (with dampers), and a trick-design suspension with OPTIMUM spring rate RATIO whether empty or loaded.
I could go on and on, but I'll just say that while the comfort, the directional stability, and the handling are GREAT,....my Dutch Star is far from perfect. HOWEVER, there is no gas-engine motorhome that'll match it.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Cloud Dancer, And yes I do believe we are kindred spirits. And we may have even had a few spirits to drink? I agree about our conversations on coaches.

Five spaces down from where my coach is parked is a 2021 Entegra Emblem, their top gas offering. I was talking to them outside their coach under the awning with a nice view of the lake 75 degrees and a light breeze. Yes, a nice setting for a beautiful Coach. They asked me into their coach and it was beautifully to say the least.

No... Not a diesel but a darn fine looking Class A Motorhome. Something I would hope any of us would be happy to have. But alas, youโ€™ll not have that big diesel pump nozzle! Oh the pain of it all.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mondooker,
Sorry I'm late. It's good to hear we might be BOF's (birds of a feather). I started racing at age 13-1/2, in a 1952 650cc Triumph (my Dad had Harleys). I also seriously got into Enduro Go Karts (won 2 National titles and got inducted into the IKF Hall of Fame). Then, got into dirt Sprint cars (with and without wings). I won several track championships in Sprints. There's a lot more to my racing story, but I want to say more about motorhomes.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
Floorplan 4010

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Cloud Dancer, Well said and weโ€™ll done and thanks for pointing out my spelling error. Country Coach did in fact build a fine coach and are much sought after. You mentioned racing, what kind of cars did you race? I really enjoy NASCAR and have for years. Enjoyed dragsters as well, always a lot of fun.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lived through the development of the Country Coach products when Bob Lee was in charge. And, I've done the research on the Eugene Prevost history. I built street rods during my high school years and got into oval track racing during my college years. I studied and practiced the technical elements of chassis dynamics. I became seriously interested in motorhome chassis dynamics due to the fact that I owned several during my auto racing involvement. BUT, I never puffed on a "piece" pipe nor a peace pipe.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
Floorplan 4010

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer, I think youโ€™ve been puffing on that piece pipe too long. Country Coach ... Really?

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
So many of these opinions come from lack of knowledge. If you want to know exactly how to achieve the performance features you prefer, you first need to acquire a whole lot of knowledge in the field of motor vehicle chassis dynamics.
With the knowledge that I have on this subject, I will say that the only person that I know of who actually knew how to build a great motorhome (and did it) is the person who designed and built the COUNTRY COACH.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
Floorplan 4010

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Come on IvyLog, thatโ€™s a little disingenuous isnโ€™t it? I drive a Prevost Bus, the safest motorhome on the planet. And by bus standards no other motorhome is safe! My point and I think a reasonable one, there are some very good gas Class A motorhomes out there. Most of us have seen a DP on the side of the road showing itโ€™s underbelly. But it never said to me โ€œDonโ€™t buy oneโ€!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Havenโ€™t looked at a gasser in decades but based on problems posted on here most are still just modified trailers bolted to a overloaded Ford chassis...all kinds of posts on handling upgrades. Leaks still a common problem, partial board cabinets with staples and glue holding them together, and poor insulation/sound quality. Granted there are entry level DPs that arenโ€™t much better although they usually do not have the handling problems and usually better CCC.

A few DPs do not just bolt the house to the chassis.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bruce_Brown
valhalla360 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Even if power were the same, efficiency is much different. I went with the 6.7 Diesel over the gas primarily due to fuel economy. The cost in the truck was not vastly different but the mileage sure was.

With diesel costing more per gallon typically, the fuel economy no longer really holds up well. So what if you get 20% more MPG but a gallon costs 15% more.

Unless you are putting a million miles on it, you will never break even.

Locally we've flipped back to diesel being less expensive than gas.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I think weโ€™ve wondered into the weeds. This thread is more about the Coach (shell) than the engine that drives them. Meaning you can have a great floor plan made with good materials and not be a diesel. A gas coach maxes out at 38โ€™ where a DP with tag axle stretches out to 45โ€™. And you donโ€™t see a 45โ€™ gasser because a gas engine is not made to handle that kind of weight. Letโ€™s try to stay in our lane. ๐Ÿ™‚

And MPG and torque and how to eat pork, although interesting, isnโ€™t the intent of this thread. So come out of you corners and shake hands.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:
Even if power were the same, efficiency is much different. I went with the 6.7 Diesel over the gas primarily due to fuel economy. The cost in the truck was not vastly different but the mileage sure was.

With diesel costing more per gallon typically, the fuel economy no longer really holds up well. So what if you get 20% more MPG but a gallon costs 15% more.

Unless you are putting a million miles on it, you will never break even.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV