cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator will not start

wsfurrie
Explorer
Explorer
About 6 weeks ago I had a problem with the generator in my 05 Pleasureway Excell not starting. Actually it would start but die as soon as I released the starter switch. Supposedly this is a sign that the generator is not producing any electricity. if it does it picks a relay that lets the engine continue to run. After exhausting my bag of tricks I took it to the local Onan/Cummins dealer and of course it worked upon arrival. They kept it a week, checking each day but could never duplicate the problem. With my approval they pulled the unit and checked everything they could think of. The only thing replaced was the brush's. After paying over $500.00 I took it home and it has been started 3 times until today. The problem is back! The engine starts and sounds fine as long as the starter switch is held down, I am getting afraid of hurting the starter. I am leaning to the idea of corroded or damp connections somewhere. Does anyone have an idea? Oh yes, there is plenty of gas.
Wayne
Wayne
10 REPLIES 10

wsfurrie
Explorer
Explorer
Loggenrock, thanks. I have had the same thought about moisture or corrosion as the problem has been intermittent for 6 weeks. The big problem is access. If I could get to it I would use a hair dryer and WD40 to clean things out one spot at a time. However at my age I am not about to start jerking that thing out.
Wayne
Wayne

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem recently. I exercise it faithfully, use it regularly. When we had horrendously humid weather (puddles forming on my garage floor...), I took the van out to run, and genny cranked but wouldn't start... was making 110v (had 110v light come on while cranking it) - stopped as soon as I released the switch. FINALLY started - figured I'd spun the rust off of some internal component. Started fine the next day. 3 days later same issue, again finally started... since the weather improved - much drier - again starts/runs fine. My theory is rusting on something, or moisture shorting it out... either way, seems to be a moot point now - good luck with yours! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

wsfurrie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to find the resistor but doubt if it is only associated with 1 start switch. I have tried both. The problem has come and gone twice now. When it runs it runs great. Off to search the archives.
Wayne
Wayne

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know, I had just remembered the problem from way back, and it was more than one person. I do believe it was figured out, and not a difficult fix. Sorry I don't remember more but it was a long time ago,
Do a search for Generator button, in the old B archives. I think that's where I searched.

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
Wsfurrie, just occurred to me, if ArizonaKid is correct about a possible failing inline resistor then you may be able to start your generator by using a second start switch which is behind the access panel of my Onan generator and I believe on all Onan 2.8kW models.

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
I will be very interested in discovering what wsfurrie problem is, because in my case when I got my generator running again (and it started and was running again today) I knew it was not any of the following suggestions(1) low oil level, (2) carburetor varnishing, (3) defective low oil level switch, (4) open circuit coil wiring, or a (5) defective generator control assembly or voltage regulator because it has started right up and power my AC a number of times since. For two days I couldn't get the generator to run and it would run only as long as I held the switch in. The third day without changing anything I hit the start switch and it started right up and was running as smooth as silk.

ArizonaKid, where is the resistor, at the back of the switch or at the generator?

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
There are some really old posts about this and what the problem was. You will have to do some digging in the old "B" archives.
OK, I did some digging for you and came up with this.

"I believe there is a resistor inline at the start panel that has failed. I remember reading post(s) with the same problem. When you release the start button, it cuts off the ignition system. The resistor tells the "board" to keep the unit running."

This is what my service manual say's.

1. Low oil level.
2. Defective low oil level switch.
3. No field flash volage due to:
a. Open circuit in wiring.
b. Brushes not making good contact.
c. Slip ring surface is rough or pitted.

4. Defective generator, control assembly
A1, or voltage regulator VR1.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Carburetor varnishing caused by sitting too long without use,especially in winter can cause intermittent starting (slow to 'catch') when power on button depressed and held. I put Stabil in my gas tank when my previous gasoline powered Onan in my Winnebago sat for a long while mostly in winter. My PW Plateau has a propane genset and it is quiet and starts right away.
Hope your problem just goes away but i wonder if Onan service dealer checked out carburetor?
AL

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
Check your oil level. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it was the oil level being to low, so it automatically shut off.

The oil level is checked by NOT screwing in the dipstick. Just put in in the hole 'til it touches the threads, then remove it, and check the level.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem, generator would run as long as the start switch was being held in. Never did discovery the cause of the real problem. However I did do the following and got the generator working. I plugged into shore power for a few minutes to check and be sure every other thing but the generator was working and then disconnected the shore plug and tried starting the generator, it worked. Why I am not sure, but I had this wild idea was it possible that the automatic transfer switch could possibly have gotten hung up and prevented the generator running. Remember the default position is shore power and most ATS's have a 20 second generator delay built into them.