cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genny won't start a/ trying to turn on while on shore power.

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
I went to look at a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 37G today and while it was plugged into the home's electricity, he tried to start the generator to show me that it worked. It wouldn't start but while he held the button down, the lights inside the rig were flickering.

We checked fuses and such but found nothing wrong, but now the generator won't start at all, even when shore power is disconnected. Generator makes zero sounds.

Can you guys help me figure out what this could be? I bought said rig and there is a mobile RV mechanic that is going to take a look at it and I'd really rather not incur that cost. (Frankly, he should be the one paying that but we'll see what it ends up running.)

I wish I could remember what the generator was. I think it was a "green" something or other and was 5000 watts. Hope you can help me figure this out. Really hope no real damage was done.
1985 Class C Chevy Rockwood, 27'
Fulltiming since June, 2016. Flying solo but I'm never alone.
Fear not the unknown, but the fear itself.
13 REPLIES 13

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, there will always be something wrong when you have an older motorhome. I had my share of generator problems, mainly hard starting. I rebuilt the carb twice, replaced the fuel pump twice, replaced the circuit board, and replaced the plugs/wires. It always generated good voltage at 60Hz when it ran.
I finally got it right after being persistant. Onan 4.0 version.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I think you might need a different mindset.
You are buying a 23 year old RV.
There will ALWAYS be something that isn't working quite right. If the price is right, accept it, and make friends with that mobile tech. Just about everything can be fixed, in exchange for cash.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cheryl,
It the spirit of trying to help you - Hire and pay a good person to fully inspect the RV. Problems can go way beyond the gen not starting.

The gen didn't start and now you're willing to hear it run on the phone? Instead THINK - what was wrong and changed? And why in the world would you listen on the phone and possibly conclude everything is OK? Why do you think he should be pay for gen repairs? Did you BUY it (as stated) or NOT? All sales are AS-IS unless you have a written warranty.

Just thinking you need help.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bruce_Brown
Enough gas for a test drive isn't necessarily enough for the generator to run. The tank needs to be at least 1/4 full, possibly a little more.

As to the original issue, it sure sounds like a weak battery to me. Also being new doesn't always mean the battery is fully charged yet. Just this week my brother put a new battery in his daughters car - he had to charge it first as it was down on voltage, and it was a fresh build date too.

That said, I still don't blame you for wanting to hear it start and run. And isn't is sad we've gotten to the point we have to question people first and trust second? Unfortunately that's not getting any better either.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Lever is a rough choke adjustment.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Cheryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. Actually he texted me after I got home and he said it started when he tried it again after I left. I'm going to have him let me hear it start when I talk to him next. I want to hear it with my own ears. I don't need shenanigans. I wish I could trust people who seem trustworthy but the fact of the matter is that even the most unlikely people will bend the truth to suit their needs.

As far as the batteries and gasoline supply, the batteries are all new and there was enough gas in the tank to take it for a test drive. He told me that it started right up when he tried it that morning so that's why I want to hear him start it when I'm on the phone with him.

While we're on the subject of generators, I noticed this one has a summer/winter lever. What does that do? He didn't know.
1985 Class C Chevy Rockwood, 27'
Fulltiming since June, 2016. Flying solo but I'm never alone.
Fear not the unknown, but the fear itself.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Cheryl_B wrote:
It wouldn't start but while he held the button down, the lights inside the rig were flickering.

Need to know why it would not start:

Generator motor would not turn over at all.

Generator motor would not turn over fast enough to start.

Generator motor tuned over at normal speed, but would not start.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the fuel pump is either defective or not getting voltage. This is assuming that there's enough gas in the tank to draw fuel out.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The lights flickered because the lights inside are 12 volt and the generator starter motor draws CONSIDERABLE amprage so it "Drew down" the house system voltage.

As to why it did not start: Multiple possible reasons
First the fuel supply. Generally the generator can not use the last 25% (1/4th) of the fuel in the tank (Makes sure you have enough to get to ye old gas station) If the batteries are NOT connected there might not be enough oomph in the converter to crank it fast enough.

Operator error

Bad problem with generator needing $$$$ to fix.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have the batteries load checked, free at auto stores. Plus fuse, disconnect, wiring, etc.

Also an issue like that suggests poor maintenance and you should check everything after this issue is fixed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, a battery or connection issue between house battery and generator.

The lights dim because battery voltage drops when trying to start the generator.

I would start by checking battery voltage at the battery "at rest" and then while cranking the generator.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I would first off like said make sure the battery disconnects are in the correct position. When you pushed the switch to start the gen. did you hear it try and start or was there no sound at all?

Start the engine and while its running try starting the gen. I could be wrong on this but I think the gen. gets started with the engine batteries not the house.

You may also want to go over to the Winnebago Owners forum for some good info also. https://www.winnieowners.com/forums
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure the battery disconnects are on. Suggest cycling to off then back on.
Could be bad battery(ies) or just need charged.
Green genset would indicate Onan, probably 5500.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker