Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genset 2003 Jayco escapade

A5sims
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!
Just purchased a rv and the generator is not turning over. It may stay on a few seconds after priming but cuts off.

There is a full tank of gas. No power inside the cabin - outlets, appliances etc.

Its been sitting since June, family member was ill and not able to tend to it.

Should I purchase another generator or go thru the process of determining what's going on?

4 days into rv ownership
15 REPLIES 15

A5sims
Explorer
Explorer
Happy New Year! This forum is great so its the carburetor. Found a place here to order the part and install for 150.00. Glad it was not the genset, we can deal with this starting out. Hope to find more youtube videos to help me learn more.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
MH's that sit alot tend to have carbs on the gennys that are gummed up. Onan will sell you a new carb reasonable, or you can buy a aftermarket overhaul kit, a gallon can of a caustic dip type carb cleaner ($$) and spend a day or so removing it and tearing it down and cleaning it and reassembling and reinstalling it. Either way you are paying the piper, take your choice.

My bets on the carb.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
The fuel pumps (typically) are solenoid type pumps that are pulsed with 12VDC which retracts the solenoid and an opposing spring provides the fuel pressure. So, when you prime the pump, if it is working properly, you will hear the initial solenoid pulsing noise that will lessen as the spring builds up fuel pressure and there is no more solenoid movement. Clear as mud, right???

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto here. We bought a 2002 Minnie that sat unused for quite a while. Same Gen. Same problem.

There is a fuel pump fuel filter assembly on the lower left under and behind the electronic control module. Our pump/filter wasn't delivering enough fuel.

Since I replaced the pump/filter, the operation has been flawless.

I learned how to do it from Youtube videos. Access is very difficult. It took me all day.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Locate the fuel line coming from the tank. Take it loose and blow back toward the tank. Listen for bubbling. This should verify that the line is good.
Reconnect line from tank.
Take output line from fuel pump. Energize pump with known good 12 volt DC supply to verify pump is working.
Take bowl loose from carb. Do it carefully. Verify that the float is moving.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Our genset is same Model and spec. Coach is 2003 on 2002 chassis. And it's 31A. Very good floor plan. I can send the window sticker to help figure out what's standard and optional. Also have service and parts manuals for genset.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

A5sims
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco escapade 31a 2003

A5sims
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

Its an Onan microquiet 4000
Model # 4KYFA26100K

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
A5sims wrote:

Its been sitting since June, family member was ill and not able to tend to it.

Should I purchase another generator or go thru the process of determining what's going on?

4 days into rv ownership

If it runs at all, even for a few seconds, then it may NOT be the carb. But our previous owner let his gen sit, unexercised for some amount of time. A new carb, installed by Cummins, was $700

A5sims
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I will look over all the paperwork and the genset for the model#'s we were on the road today bringing it back from Ohio.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
I find I have the Owner's Manual, and it states the ATS is standard. The manual is very generic, but might still help you. If you didn't get it with the coach, send me a Private Message with your EMailID and I'll send it to you.

Depending on the Spec Code of you ONAN GenSet, it probably does NOT have an Oil Level Sensor, so that can't cut it off. If it's a MicroQuiet 4KY, it's splash lubricated, so it can't have an Oil Pressure Sensor either. It's you job to be sure the oil stays full and that's it. No Oil Filter either.

It's very likely you'll need a new GenSet carburetor. Keep the discussion going and we'll see if we can help.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Escapade 31A. Generator cranks off the "Coach" (aka "House") Battery, left side of the body behind the rear tire. It'll do that whether the Coach Battery Switch (control in the entry step well, actual relay inboard of the Coach Battery) is On or Off.
Our Escapade has an Auto Transfer Switch (ATS) that automatically applies generator power to the coach, after about 30 seconds of generator operation. I don't know if that ATS was standard or a option. Which Escapade Model do you have? Some may have an outlet, powered by the generator, that you must plug your shore tie cable into, to get generator power to the coach. ATS does that automatically.
The 12-Volt-DC lights and appliances, unlike the generator, don't operate unless that Battery Switch is ON.
And, if you have an ONAN 4KY GenSet, there's a breaker on the side of the panel containing the generator-mounted controls (that are under the access panel on the GenSet). It has to have its handle pulled outward to close the circuit.
Let us know which model Escapade and which model ONAN you have. Include the one-letter "Spec." You need a good Coach Battery, fully charged, to start the GenSet.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, "not turning over" means the motor does not crank. If it runs at all, even for a few seconds, it definitely is turning over.

It is worth your time and money to troubleshoot the generator. A replacement Onan will be a four-figure expense unless you get a used one. Besides the oil problems alluded to already, there are a couple other things that will make the controller shut down the generator quickly, such as not seeing proper electrical output.

It may also be that you're just not priming sufficiently. It can take a fair bit if the gas line between the tank and the generator is long, maybe 20 or 30 seconds or so (which feels longer to me when holding a switch down).

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not turning over? That could be low battery
Make and model of genset?
Starts but shuts down could be low oil pressure or lack of oil.
You should add coach to your profile.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker