cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Trans Temp Gauge Install?

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in installing a temp gauge in our 6L90e transmission. Has anyone done this?
I'm struggling with where to place the sending unit. This trans doesn't appear to have a "test port" so, it looks like either I weld a bung on the pan or splice it in the return line.
Any thoughts or experience?

Gary
18 REPLIES 18

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That's very impressive support!

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Finally got around to installing the Scan Gage on our 2014 Chevy chassis C. It worked well but would not display trans temp. I contacted them for advice and was sent a data logger to capture info from the computers. Well, that helped and they were able to supply setup info that yielded the trans temp!
Since this was the key parameter that motivated me to purchase, I'm very happy with both the functionality and support.
Gary

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee,
Thanks, it appears my options are the pan itself or the cooler line. I found a supplier for the quick disconnect fittings and of course welding a bung on the pan is pretty straight forward. Right now I’m going with the Scan Gauge to see how that works.
Our C isn’t too heavy as we travel light and don’t have slides. But, we tow about 4500#’s and travel the rockies every summer. Just thought I should at least monitor the temp to ensure I’m not abusing the trans.

Gary

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
I'm interested in installing a temp gauge in our 6L90e transmission. Has anyone done this?
I'm struggling with where to place the sending unit. This trans doesn't appear to have a "test port" so, it looks like either I weld a bung on the pan or splice it in the return line.

Gary

You should put the temp sender where the fluid gets the hottest. Depending on your driving situation and the age of your transmission, that could be in the torque converter or lockup clutch, in one of many planetary gear sets, one of the many clutch packs, in the pan, or at the inlet to the cooler. (there may be other locations too) Get the picture? If you are headed for transmission issues, the fluid temperature varies all over the place depending on what the transmission is doing and how much power you send through it. There is no average temperature everywhere at every time. The point is, . . . . . don't overload the transmission and chances are, you'll be fine.

Chum lee

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
I like the idea of monitoring the oil and trans temps. I’d probably also use ambient temp and that’s about all. Water temp is already in the instrument cluster. And no way I’m looking at fuel mileage reading!
Ordered the Scan Gauge this morning...
Gary

Outside temp (ambient) is already in my cluster. There's all kinds of uesful optional gauges you can use, if you take the time to add them as X-Gauges. That's a pita, but if you're only doing one or two, it's no big deal.
I don't trust the SGII fuel economy numbers, and I've got a (maybe) more trustworthy mileage indicator as well, in the existing dash options. I like it because the MB diesel gets great mileage.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of monitoring the oil and trans temps. I’d probably also use ambient temp and that’s about all. Water temp is already in the instrument cluster. And no way I’m looking at fuel mileage reading!
Ordered the Scan Gauge this morning...
Gary

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
Kamphiker, it was an option with the 4500 chassis. However, I wasn’t successful in having GM reprogram the new instrument cluster to add it. So, now I’m leaning towards the Scan Gauge option as there is a nice place to install it on the dash.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Gary

I have mine sitting on top of the steering column in the Navion. It's line of sight with the other instrument cluster gauges. I run all 3 temp gauges - coolant, oil, and transmission (I think temps tell you a lot about what's going on under the hood) and either a DPF Regen monitor, or a charging voltage gauge as #4. Plenty of other options, too.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Kamphiker, it was an option with the 4500 chassis. However, I wasn’t successful in having GM reprogram the new instrument cluster to add it. So, now I’m leaning towards the Scan Gauge option as there is a nice place to install it on the dash.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Gary

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2009 Grand Cherokee That I added a Trans Temp. Gauge from Westech ( http://www.westach.com/ ) I did have to put the sensor on the tip of the DIP stick (used high temp shrink tube) and then ran the wire up the length of the Dip stick. drilled small hole in the "cap" to run the wire through. then a disconnect to be able to disconnect from the wiring running into the dash. when checking Trans fluid level. That worked extremely well for the time before OBDII plugin gauges were available.
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:

Gary
buy a scan tool much ezer plug it into the computer port under the steering wheel. it will read all the temps meany speed shops have them.
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
Was there an option on any of the same chassis from GM with an option for a Trans Temp Guage in the cluster ?

Will a cluster from a 2500 or 3500 series Pickup truck be the same for fit & harness connection?

I had a 2001 Yukon 1500 series and bought a cluster from a 2500 series (it fit both GM SUV's & Pickups, that had the HD tow package and the trans temp guage was built in. it was a 5 minute swap out and Plug & play.

I also had a scan guage plugged into the OBD port for added information.

I no longer have the Yukon But still use the same Scangage in my 2006 Ford E350 Motorhome and Trans Temp is one of the 4 dispalys i use all the time.
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
Thanks for the input. I've debated the X-Gauge solution but need to do more investigation to confirm it is capable of displaying the temp. Short to that, I guess an in-line connection or drill and weld a bung on the existing pan are my options. Also looking at a B&M cast aluminum pan and tapping it for a drain plug and sending unit.
I'm planning to pull the pan off after the holidays to do a fluid/filter change so, I can figure out what to do then. By the way, this is for a 2015 Chevy 4500 chassis with the 6L90e transmission.

Gary

There may be an X-Gauge for you....
GM X-Gauges

You'd have to figure out which protocol and type/group of gauges will work for you, but there are plenty of options.
Transmission temperature seems to be a popular option/gauge.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I've debated the X-Gauge solution but need to do more investigation to confirm it is capable of displaying the temp. Short to that, I guess an in-line connection or drill and weld a bung on the existing pan are my options. Also looking at a B&M cast aluminum pan and tapping it for a drain plug and sending unit.
I'm planning to pull the pan off after the holidays to do a fluid/filter change so, I can figure out what to do then. By the way, this is for a 2015 Chevy 4500 chassis with the 6L90e transmission.

Gary

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:
MDKMDK, Yeah I neglected to mention the GM dealer I worked with recently wasn't any help as the only "GM" solution is to enable the trans temp function in the information screen. Unfortunately, our particular configuration omitted this feature. I asked them to program it in but, they explained they could, or would, not do it as all they can do is reprogram existing functionality. They actually did this when they replaced the body control module and the instrument cluster... both of which we paid for! And even at that, they would not install the trans temp feature.
The nearest GM dealer that will work on a RV is 105mi from us.
Gary

Depending on the year of the vehicle/transmission, and if you have an OBD II diagnostic port available, you might be able to find and program a transmission temperature X-Gauge that will work with an after market scanner like the Scangauge II. However, if the trans/temp info isn't produced by the ECM or the engine's software/computer, then that won't work. Sorry, I can't be more help.