cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gps for the MH which one

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
going to buy a new gps for the MH class C will sit on the dash. BUT theres lot of them which one would be a good unit. even one YOU talk to would be nice. don,t no anything about them.
9 REPLIES 9

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin and Google largely use the same data for maps. The machine is only as reliable as the person programming it. They do what you tell them to, not what you want them to.

The day Google lets me use "maps" without a cell connection AND without pre-planning and downloading a route, is the day I'll stop buying Garmin.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Garmin and it has sent me down dead end roads, had me make 4 right turns and come back to where I was! I never really trusted.
I got a smart phone last summer with google maps and love it. I had trouble with it NOT talking in my 2016 SUV and found I need to turn off bluetooth for it to talk.
My 2004 PU does not have hands free and phone talks great.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Google map is still the best out there -- until you lose your cell reception (technically it can still triangulate until it gets lost itself in rerouting).

I lost our way in Oregon using Google map and that's when I start thinking of buying a GPS since we make lots of road trips.

But then have a second thought, a Rand McNally map maybe a cheaper alternative since I would be using the GPS in remote routes.

It's different when your cell phone plan is not on unlimited data.

Google maps on a cell phone (or tablet that has a GPS receiver) doesn't need cell phone signals to know where it is or to route; it needs cell phone data service to download maps and such unless you pre-download the map data, which they call offline maps. With offline maps, you can get road navigation without any cell service in the area.

That said, I use a Magellan GPS, the same one as I use in my car and have used for quite some time. It has its good points and quirks and annoyances, but gets the job done. I can't say I've wished for a motorhome/truck/RV-specific GPS most of the time when traveling; using a bit of common sense about the roads, and being willing to choose other routes over what it suggests if the suggested ones are silly for a motorhome, has sufficed for me. A GPS unit of any sort is a great servant but a horrible master.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
corvettekent wrote:
So two years ago I bought a Garmin 770RV GPS with back up camera. I'm not real happy with the way this GPS routes me when I'm in the RV mode.

I like using my I phone with Waze, it works great but Waze does not have a RV or truck mode.

Key point - truck or rv mode. If you get a garmin for an rv get the truck/rv version. For those traveling through the NY metropolitan area I can't tell you how many times trucks/rvs hit underpasses on highways they shouldn't be on to begin with. Usually those roads don't allow trailers either. The cops love to give tickets.

Goggle and waze(owned by ggl now) are ok, but they seem to have been dumbed down in the last few years. My theory is they run you close enough to their local advertizers to generate an advert and consequently collect a fee. The other day I was 200' away and looking at the building that was keyed in to Waze yet it wanted me to u turn and go all the way around the block to get there?!?!
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
So two years ago I bought a Garmin 770RV GPS with back up camera. I'm not real happy with the way this GPS routes me when I'm in the RV mode.

I like using my I phone with Waze, it works great but Waze does not have a RV or truck mode.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin work well for us.
We stick it to the windshield near the inside rear view mirror is. the wife programs it and I can see it.
I went on a one man trip for one night and day. I had many corners to turn. I had programed it before I left.
It's very easy to follow. It tells how far to the next corner and which way to turn.
It can be updated.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garmin, doesn't need cell service. Works well under the class c cabover.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Google map is still the best out there -- until you lose your cell reception (technically it can still triangulate until it gets lost itself in rerouting).

I lost our way in Oregon using Google map and that's when I start thinking of buying a GPS since we make lots of road trips.

But then have a second thought, a Rand McNally map maybe a cheaper alternative since I would be using the GPS in remote routes.

It's different when your cell phone plan is not on unlimited data.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
this exact question was debated for at least five pages a week or so ago. According to the hive mind, Google Maps on a phone is best - those folks all visit areas with great cell reception. The runner up was a Garmin device. Outliers included using various mapping apps with a 7-10 inch tablet.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed