cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gulf Stream RV

topher80
Explorer
Explorer
Sort of new to this (1 year) and currently own a 2008 HR Neptune XL 38' class A with four slides. Just saw a consignment sale for a 43 foot, 2008 Gulf Stream RV for $169K with only 19K miles.

Not heard much about the brand. Any comments? Seems as if they have been around for a long time (30 years, according to their website).

Advice? Thoughts, comments.

Thanks.
So after 33 years
I gave up golf...we'll see how this works
14 REPLIES 14

s79vette
Explorer
Explorer
my 2 cents is ours is worth every penny we paid for it. got it on sale one day and it was new. haven't driven it much the last few years a/c of economics but when we want to use it it's available. we spend summers in it at a VFW campground from May thru most of September. gonna bring it home this wk/end. it's 35 miles away so it will be driven 70 miles a year the last few years.had to reverse drain pipes once. large pipe was on grey tank small on black, quality control issue. went to start it one spring and nothing at ignition. after trouble shooting a couple days with no schematics found a loose wire on solenoid on frame behind front pass. tire. it supplies all voltage to lights and ignition. it was a main cable lug that was loose another quality issue. other than those 2 issues it runs like it was new and still looks like it
2003 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme Ford V10 2004 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
Online with Inspiron
A member of

http://www.gsowners.com

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Just for the record: I OWNED a Tourmaster before the Dynasty, which was before the Executive...also, I was not knocking Gulfstream products. Those of you that own them should be proud of your coach and enjoy them to the fullest...the OP asked to compare his coach to the GS....compared to the Monaco coaches, the quality just was not there..would I buy another GS product..? No. Would I buy another Monaco product?..absolutely.......my opinion, of course......Dennis

OK! So you are in love with that used Monaco that you bought and constantly bragging about it. I can show you RVers that have owned Monaco coaches and have been very dissatisfied with them. But what I do not like about a couple of you is that what you have is really not that great. You have had problems with your coach I never have had with mine. You are not adding fans because you have no problems. Sure it is a long coach, but let people that actually have a Gulf Stream express themselves as to their satisfaction since they do own one.

Quit being so sarcastic toward Gulf Stream coaches, and let people that own them to do the writing.

So big deal you claim you used to own a Gulf Stream. So what! I used to hate my Monaco.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Just for the record: I OWNED a Tourmaster before the Dynasty, which was before the Executive...also, I was not knocking Gulfstream products. Those of you that own them should be proud of your coach and enjoy them to the fullest...the OP asked to compare his coach to the GS....compared to the Monaco coaches, the quality just was not there..would I buy another GS product..? No. Would I buy another Monaco product?..absolutely.......my opinion, of course......Dennis

I just gotta respond. He doesn't have a Monaco Executive or HR Imperial. Both top of the line. He has a 38 ft. Neptune. My best friend has a 2005 HR Ambassador. I have helped him repair plenty of things on his HR, from plumbing to electrical problems and he needs to replace his Norcold 1200 too. I can tell you he would trade for mine in a split second. He has said so. As far as the quality I have been in his coach many times and he in mine. I can find no place where his has more quality than mine. From my quality maple solid wood cabinetry to the tile floors and carpeting, plumbing fixtures and construction mine is every bit as good as his or better. Plus, mine has 7'6" ceilings compared to HR's 6'5", a king sized bed and a huge shower. None of which I am sure a 38 ft. Neptune has. Plus its 4 ft. longer. I would compare my Tour Master to any Neptune or Ambassador in the same year range. I would buy another Tour Master in s New York minute.....my opinion, of course. Don
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

11B
Explorer
Explorer
There might be a long list of disappointed Gufstream owners on this forum but I also heard the same complaints about every other Manufacturer since I've read posts here over the last 6 years.

I bought my 07 new and have never had a problem with my unit. I have had it serviced to manufactures schedule and I tinker and tighten screws every chance I get (standard procedure on any unit). Gufstream has never had a good reputation for customer service but my dealer has treated me like gold on any Major problem I might have encountered over the years.

Gulfstream no longer builds a class A unit but at least they didn't bankrupt the company to get out of covering existing warranties like many other companies did back in 07 & 08 only to leave the owners high and dry and on their own and the company start back up with no issues.

If you like the unit and floor plan and the price is right for you then I would recommend you purchase it.

Take the advice of the earlier poster and go to irv2.net and read the posts made by other owners. Its a lot better than listening to the "my brother had a cousin that new a guy that had a friend that stayed next to a guy that had a brother that was in prison with a guy that owned a Gulfstream.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
While most of the negative have been from RVers that have never owned one, I will put my two cents into this thread.

I personally have had very good luck with my Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser. When you have a coach for ten years with only one problem in ten years, I think I would say it has been very good in comparison to my other coach. I had a fuel pump the went bad on it. Other then that it has been very good.

I can also say that I have seen other brands and that are suppose to be top of the line coaches that have been nothing but trash. So YES you can get bad coaches on any brand, but these people that heavily criticize Gulf Stream should pay more attention to what they drive and let the owners of Gulf Stream give the correct information by experience.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

sunny_jeep
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 2007 gulf stream 38ft motor home with 4 slides and love it. we also fulltime and replaced the frig. with a residensonal one. had a tiffin alegrobus before that and like my gulf stream better.

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
Have to agree with the others. There is a long history on this forum of really unhappy owners, as a result of this company producing substandard products, and doing little to address the issues. Now, this type of statement will typically draw the defenders out of the woodwork with claims that THEIR Gulfstream is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel, but take it for what it's worth.

At some point it becomes pretty funny. There are in fact going to be a limited number of satisfied customers of any RV manufacturer, no matter how poor the product actually is. That said, the interwebs tends to draw out the folks that would stand next to a rotted, moldy, motorhome, as it was burning to the ground, and say, "yea, it's been a great coach, we are really happy" LOL

EDIT: keep in mind that this company no long produces class A units, and that they had major issues with rigs that were so poorly engineered and built that the diesel engine overheats constantly due to the confined, nearly non-serviceable engine bay that fails to allow for proper cooling.

While my 2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master is not the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel, it IS the greatest thing since sliced bread. Truthfully, it has been a great coach. We have full timed in it for over a year. It is not rotted or moldy and has no leaks. In over 5000 miles it has never overheated. It is hard to get at the engine thru the rear doors as is any rig without a side radiator. As far as Gulf Stream not making class A's any more, Freightliner still makes chassis and all the other components, A/C's, water heaters, microwaves, refrigerators etc. were made by the same companies all the other manufacturers use. The one thing we did do was replace the Norcold 1200 with a residential refrigerator. This is typical for the Norcold 1200's and not limited to Gulf Stream. Where ever I travel and see another Gulf Streams where I am camped, I always try and talk with the owner and not once have I found one who was not happy with their unit. My advice is to listen only to the people who have owned one. Please, by all means, take this for what its worth.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Have to agree with the others. There is a long history on this forum of really unhappy owners, as a result of this company producing substandard products, and doing little to address the issues. Now, this type of statement will typically draw the defenders out of the woodwork with claims that THEIR Gulfstream is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel, but take it for what it's worth.

At some point it becomes pretty funny. There are in fact going to be a limited number of satisfied customers of any RV manufacturer, no matter how poor the product actually is. That said, the interwebs tends to draw out the folks that would stand next to a rotted, moldy, motorhome, as it was burning to the ground, and say, "yea, it's been a great coach, we are really happy" LOL

EDIT: keep in mind that this company no long produces class A units, and that they had major issues with rigs that were so poorly engineered and built that the diesel engine overheats constantly due to the confined, nearly non-serviceable engine bay that fails to allow for proper cooling.

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned a gulf stream product about 8 years ago....unless they have made leaps and bounds improvement in the build quality I would keep what you have. I owned it for 5 months and traded it back to the dealer for a winnebago at that time.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
IMHO, keep what you got....quality of your Neptune will put the GS to shame....Dennis

I agree.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
IMHO, keep what you got....quality of your Neptune will put the GS to shame....Dennis

years back I stopped by the Gulf Stream factory to check out a specific unit. one of my questions was if there was access to the water system to install a winterizing kit (or bypass kit it's been years so memory escapes me) and the guide and I looked over the unit and couldn't find it so he called a mechanic out from the production line to search. and no, couldn't hear where it was either. we finally found it by opening a standard appearing compartment door, then having to unscrew a metal plate inside that blocked it. I was not impressed with their knowledge of their product.
bumpy

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of details over at irv2's Gulf Stream Owner's Group and don't forget to check out the Rate your Gulf Stream Poll while your there.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”