cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Interface converter/inverter/charger

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
My 99 American Dream still has the original Heart Interface. It does not provide much information on the control panel. It seems to let the battery voltage drop to about 10 volts before it charges them back up. I also notice that both the house batteries and chassis batteries are always at the same level of charge. That does not seem right to me.
Fortunately, though, all of the electrical devices, lights, furnaces, a/c, refrigerator, etc., etc. always work just fine.
Any thoughts?
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
KD4UPL wrote:
How old are your batteries? Have you checked the water in them? If they really are dropping to 10 volts you may have bad batteries.

Bingo. Bad Batteries or boiled dry batteries will indeed cause havoc on a Inverter/Charger system. Doug

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Indeed, something is WRONG.

That inverter/charger should maintain "float level" voltage forever. Voltage depends on what you have programmed in (dip switches or remote panel). All the boats/RV's I have had with that unit over they years has done exactly that.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems odd. I would take it in for a service check. At least carry a portable battery charger for when it completely fails.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
How old are your batteries? Have you checked the water in them? If they really are dropping to 10 volts you may have bad batteries.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The simple answer is-----The OLD Heart Inverter/Charger and current products do NOT let the battery charge drop at all as long as you are plugged into Shore Power. The Inverter/Charger will MAINTAIN the existing 12 volt power. It should never drop to 10 volts unless you are disconnected from 120 power and drawing 12 volt current. Now, while you could have the Heart serviced or fixed, it is not cost effective on a 22 year old Inverter/Charger. I would not worry about it until the 12 volt system dies when the Heart finally completely fails. IF you decide to replace, there is NO plug and play replacement. You will have to change the Inverter/Charger(It is called Xantrex now) and the remote wiring harness and get a new remote. Your old remote only works with the Heart, not with the newer Xantrex models. Doug