cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

heating storage compartments

thompson60
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of heating storage/holding tank compartment so can travel in cold weather. Has anyone added an auxillary heater to do this thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Cargo Heat model 3000rv in our wet bay. It runs on 12 volt

thompson60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. Parked I am ok. It is when I am driving down the highway at-10 Fah. Don,t like leaving the furnace on. Not sure how much heat I need. Maybe a 300 watt 12 volt heater might be enough. Have to check out what insulation I might have.

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I added a garage trouble light with a 100 watt bulb.....

Same here except I use a 75 watt bulb and I get the heavy duty bulbs.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

thgoodman
Explorer
Explorer
IF (note: big IF) you leave your inverter on when you drive (I do) and IF your engine driven alternator has the capacity, try the following: buy a line voltage thermostat and a hair dryer (most any hardware store). Install them in your water service bay, set the hair dryer to "low" and set the thermostat to around 50 degrees F.

On your 1st few trips, you may want to leave a thermometer in the bay as well so you can check the temp when you stop. Adjust as necessary.

Of course, this will also work if you are camping in a freezing area and have elect. hookups available.
Tom & Jan
Full timers since April '06 - 1 fur kid (Archie - mini Poodle.)
2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder towing 2012 Subaru (4 down)
Started workamping Sept '07 - "This isn't too bad. Think we'll do it some more."

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
They sell 12 volt heaters with fans for the wet bay. My MH came with one. However, I installed a inside outside thermometer in the MH. I put a sensor in the wet bay. I run my furnace on the road and no problem with freezing temps but the electric heater turns on when driving or stopoed if temp drops in wet bay. The under side and all around my wet bay has spray insulation on it. Never have a problem.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You're sure the furnace doesn't already do this?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

70Olds
Explorer
Explorer
I added a small space heater with thermostat to the water tank area of our class A and ran an appliance cord to the 20 amp outlet for the utility post at RV Parks. This left the full amperage to the motor home available and keep the water tanks from freezing in 0 degree weather. Just how low this would work I have not tried to find out.

thompson60
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I was thinking of adding a coolant heater coil and fan to heat when I am driving. When parked the furnace has a heat duct into the compartment. Unit is a Fleetwood Terra.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I added a garage trouble light with a 100 watt bulb. This has worked well down to about -5 degrees. My Monaco coach does have an exterior spray foam insulated wet compartment, which also helps.