cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help! Heater core

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Need a NEW heater core for a 1998 Monaco Windsor Part number I have is E56407. I found one place at $276 surely there is another source for less than that---if not I'll just bite the bullet.
18 REPLIES 18

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Went to work on this thing about 9AM and 6 hours later it was all done. There is some questionable stuff about the original installation but I got through it all and it works. So a total of 11 hours and $200 for the heater core so even at 80 years old you can take on a project like this.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Got the original part from Comfort Air in Michigan for $197 about $80 less than the other place. Will chime back in when I get the part in hand sometime this week. Hope those following can find this post as it now seems to be hidden

must be your end on setting. Can see all of them. Good luck.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heater core came this evening. Pouring rain so will get to it when it dries up

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got the original part from Comfort Air in Michigan for $197 about $80 less than the other place. Will chime back in when I get the part in hand sometime this week. Hope those following can find this post as it now seems to be hidden

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 more hours and it is out. 5 total. Pretty straight forward but with little more than the Irv pictures it took me awhile because I didn't want to break or mess up anything. That sucker was stuck even after all the bolts were out....there are only 4 as the other 4, which I also removed, hold the metal piece on the back on. Now to order a new one.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK, 2 hours into this project and the rain came. I removed the panel in front of the gen and pushed the gen back as far as it would go. Lots more working room. I then removed the pass side headlight assembly, 4 screws and unplug it. Better access, Not sure on the bolt deal but it appears to only have 4 but since there are 4 smaller ones it may have 8. I have 3 of them out and the housing still don't want to move..... will get back to it as I don't think rain will last long.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The RV in those pics is different than mine as it looks like the gen cover lifts up and mine comes out with the gen. But it looks like only 6 bolts to remove the cover. I will try it, stay tuned.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mountain Air I saw that before. BUT it looks like they have the gen pushed in and I had it out--I'll take another look.
Labor I don't worry about, those guys got to eat to. I am sure some of the people that paid me, a person that never finished high school, thought I charged a lot of money but fact was I could do the work and there were few that could or would. So now its my turn to not be able to do the work so I don't mind paying.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Guess I need to get it pulled out. Looks like a bit to much for my 80 year old self. Looks like the easiest way is to take out the head light and go in through there. Thanks everyone

If you think $276 was high for the heater core wait till you get the bill for labor to replace it !!!

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
here is a step by step.

heater core removeal

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Guess I need to get it pulled out. Looks like a bit to much for my 80 year old self. Looks like the easiest way is to take out the head light and go in through there. Thanks everyone

As I have found out, some jobs that used to take a few hours, can now take a few days. I still know it will be done right if I do it myself.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://donbrownbusparts.com/products/heater-core-1717016-1000619405

Try this place. has it in stock for 99.

Same size part# 1000619405

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not exact but maybe this will work:
Kysor #1717016