cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with a value please! Looking to purchase...

just_justin
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have been looking for a while and finally found a Class C that I like, checked it out, talked to the guy and cant really find any solid value on it, so I thought I would check here.

It is a 2003 Coachman Leprechaun 290RF with a Diesel....a 7.3 diesel. 68K miles, in really good shape with your typical options. Now, NADA doesn't even list a diesel as an option for that year. When I run the Chassis's vin, it does come back as a 2003 E-450 with the 7.3. Running the coach VIN returns nothing.

He was asking 27k, got him down to 22k, and I am ready to jump on it, but I dont want to call the bank only for them to give me the run around!

Any help would be appreciated!
26 REPLIES 26

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and if YOU like it,buy it,don,t matter what others say and do.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The OP writes:

"The reason for this thread is just because I don't want to over pay, but the options add up to me and add value..."

You seem to be missing the key point of your own discussion.

The diesel is a rare bird in this motor home. If the diesel option is worth it to you, then you are NOT overpaying. If it isn't, then clearly, . . . . . . you are.

Chum lee

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
I googled it and THIS is the first site that I looked at.

NOT good news for your seller.

just_justin
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
If you're happy with the price and the seller is happy with the price, then it's hard for me to say it's not a good price. Very much of the actual value of a used RV depends on its condition, which is pretty much ignored by the NADA numbers. Prices also vary quite a fair bit geographically; finding a decent used RV for $10K would be pretty hard in New England, from what I've seen. Well kept, practically no water damage, everything works properly...that's worth some money; and if your needs or wants are rather unusal and specific, you may have to pay more to get them met.

Be extremely careful with your towing decisions. The diesel engine doesn't change the brakes, the frame (and frame extensions), the hitch, etc. I'm not really sure it even would do much better in general with towing than the V10, though it will be running at a lower speed and hence sound "better", or at least different.

A fair few newer Ford class C's have 7500 pound tow ratings, by the way.

There will be trailer brakes, it has a controller and as far as the frame/extensions, that's why I wanted a 450, frame is 1 piece all the way back....there are no extensions, 350s stop right behind axle and the rest is pretty much body. The towing capacity and therefore GCWR is determined by the engine, trans and rear axle/gearing. An E450 with the 7.3 can most certainly tow more than an E450 with the V10. Motorhome or not...

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If you're happy with the price and the seller is happy with the price, then it's hard for me to say it's not a good price. Very much of the actual value of a used RV depends on its condition, which is pretty much ignored by the NADA numbers. Prices also vary quite a fair bit geographically; finding a decent used RV for $10K would be pretty hard in New England, from what I've seen. Well kept, practically no water damage, everything works properly...that's worth some money; and if your needs or wants are rather unusal and specific, you may have to pay more to get them met.

Be extremely careful with your towing decisions. The diesel engine doesn't change the brakes, the frame (and frame extensions), the hitch, etc. I'm not really sure it even would do much better in general with towing than the V10, though it will be running at a lower speed and hence sound "better", or at least different.

A fair few newer Ford class C's have 7500 pound tow ratings, by the way.

just_justin
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
There are times when paying significantly more than NADA is worth the price. An old like-new creme puff has greater "street" value than a newer beat-up rig that elements got the best of. So it's up to the buyer to decide what it's worth to him, knowing that when it comes to insurance coverage, the book value will nix the street value.

Our 12 year, stored indoors, creme puff, is migrating into that category, so maybe I am a little bias.

Really, exactly my thoughts.....RV Trader has hundreds in the 2004 area ranging from 15k-35k....all v10 gas, many with more miles. I am planning on jumping on it since it is exactly what I want, in nice creme puff shape for a price similar to others in that year range. The diesel makes it worth more to me since I will be using it to tow more than the 'rated' 5000 lbs of the V10 class C.

The reason for this thread is just because I don't want to over pay, but the options add up to me and add value...

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
There are times when paying significantly more than NADA is worth the price. An old like-new creme puff has greater "street" value than a newer beat-up rig that elements got the best of. So it's up to the buyer to decide what it's worth to him, knowing that when it comes to insurance coverage, the book value will nix the street value.

Our 12 year, stored indoors, creme puff, is migrating into that category, so maybe I am a little bias.

just_justin
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
X2 22k for a rv 16teen years old ? call the bank. ask them. and you did inspect it for water marks all over the ceiling ? if theres one, run.

Not a single blemish inside. Tiny amount of delaminating on the outside on the front bunk area which has been fixed....other than that, zero issues.

just_justin
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
$27K and got him down to $22K? NADA online values for a 2003 290RF are south of $10K. A 7.3 diesel that is not shown in the tables does not add $10K+ to the value of a 16 year old motorhome. Sounds like the owner jumped on NADA and started checking option boxes to get his asking price and he would have to had check most all of them to get up to even $20K retail.

Value is ultimately what the the purchaser determines it is to them. Will a bank even finance a 16 yr old motorhome using it as the collateral? If they will, call and ask them what the max amount is they'll loan on it.

I plan on calling a dealer this morning and the bank to talk to them. Others I have been looking at in my area, similar four winds, an 04 and 05, with the V10 have been going for 22-25.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 22k for a rv 16teen years old ? call the bank. ask them. and you did inspect it for water marks all over the ceiling ? if theres one, run.

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
$27K and got him down to $22K? NADA online values for a 2003 290RF are south of $10K. A 7.3 diesel that is not shown in the tables does not add $10K+ to the value of a 16 year old motorhome. Sounds like the owner jumped on NADA and started checking option boxes to get his asking price and he would have to had check most all of them to get up to even $20K retail.

Value is ultimately what the the purchaser determines it is to them. Will a bank even finance a 16 yr old motorhome using it as the collateral? If they will, call and ask them what the max amount is they'll loan on it.

b17drvr
Explorer
Explorer
Try the RV pricing and values page on Facebook.