cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

High Winds - how much is too much?

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
Heading tomorrow - weathe forecast is for winds are out of the WNW at 15 - 20 MPH. (May be over thinking, but with all of the issues over the past four weeks, my anxiety needs a rest)

The first part of the route will be into a headwind - 50 miles? State route, two lanes, hills and passing lanes

Then another 50 miles of side wind.

Then after that pure tail wind the rest of the way home.

Any advice, guidance, or ideas. (I would take another day off, but am running out of 2016 Paid Time Off..
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired
22 REPLIES 22

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
I made it home, sans lane integrity violations, at a lower rate and minus 0.6 MPG in fuel economy.

Great advice about the turbulence around over and under passes. I'm going to add in power lines.

Tnx for the advice.
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Tag axle makes a big difference in a crosswind.
2014 American Eagle

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
The overnight forecast has dropped the winds from up to 20 MPH down to low to mid single digits. I have two efficient routes picked out, One is primarily interstate, the other overland. The time difference is six minutes. The problem with the overland was the Penobscot Narrows bridge, a two lane wind funnel from inland to the sea.

With the changed forecast, my concern level has ebbed towards reasonable comfort.

Thank you each and all for the sound advice. My Class A season runs from May to October, so I never get enough time on the road to gain sustaining experience.

But that will change.
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
Our rig doesn't feel winds like that.

Neither does our's
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how you made out.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig doesn't feel winds like that.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Like most of the posters stated just slow down. Before I retired I was driving a set of doubles (a 36' trailer and a 28' trailer) across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, I was driving 10 MPH and the side wind was blowing 66 Knots, according to a news radio reporter who was standing on the bridge with his hand held wind gauge. A UPS driver behind me radioed me saying my rear trailer tire was 6 inches off the pavement. It was very nerve racking but, I limped across the bridge safely. I don't know how to read wind in knots but, I never crossed that bridge again with 50 MPH winds or stronger in a set of doubles.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start early so you can take advantage of the tail wind later. Like MM earlier today I had a nice almost direct tailwind today increasing my mpg from 7 to 8 but I outran it and had to put in 20 degrees of crab into the side wind. When going under a overpass or into the Lee of a hill, you know you will not need as much crab so antisapate it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start off early in the morning when the winds are usually lighter. As the day progresses and if you start to feel uncomfortable behind the wheel, start looking for an RV park for the night.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Big_Blue wrote:
Heading tomorrow - weathe forecast is for winds are out of the WNW at 15 - 20 MPH. (May be over thinking, but with all of the issues over the past four weeks, my anxiety needs a rest)

The first part of the route will be into a headwind - 50 miles? State route, two lanes, hills and passing lanes

Any advice, guidance, or ideas. (I would take another day off, but am running out of 2016 Paid Time Off..

Just go, deal with it, shouldn't be a big deal.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, I sure hate winds when driving. Certainly, at 55,500 lbs., we can handle winds but I still don't like them.

We were lucky once and had a 50 mph gusts pushing us east on the I-40.... we honestly got over 9.0 MPG's on that tank. Normally, we would get around 6.5 mpg at 60 mph with little wind.

If we were getting head or side winds, I would have parked it.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Big_Blue wrote:

doesn't matter what I or anyone else on this forum thinks...you're the only one who can determine whether you're in a mental and physical condition to safely drive. if you think you need an extra day or two of rest then take it. if you're on deadline well, then that's a different set of conditions.

OR, the question "how long should a man's legs be? ANSWER "long enough to touch the ground"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
you have 60 MPH wind running across your rig as a matter of travel. Or what ever speed you are driving. the side winds are the only problem. Slow down, and see how it goes. I bet you will do better than you think
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How much wind is too much depends on where the wind is coming from. Dead astern you can take a whole lot. I've handled 100MPH, but I stress DEAD astern, not 1 degree off. The Tumble weeds were going STRAIGHT down the road.

Headwinds.. I recommend against high wind. But so long as it is straight on you should be ok moving, but a motor home in a Head wind you do not ask MPG you ask GPM (ok, not quite that bad but not far from it)

Side winds... 50 MPH I'd be parked.. in fact. I just was, Friday night.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times