cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hood Cover for Ford E450

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2019 Phoenix Cruiser on a 2018 Ford E450 chassis. I am looking for a hood cover (not a whole RV cover) for those occasional hailstorms. It has Diamond Shield on part of the hood but the uncoated part of the hood took a couple small dings during a recent moderate hail storm. A full RV cover does not work where we live due to high winds, high UV and high owner's age..:(

I have tried Camping World, local Ford dealer and a couple aftermarket places with no success. Does anyone have a suggestion/source?

Hank
2019 Phoenix Cruiser Model 3100
Class B Plus
16 REPLIES 16

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
Ron - Thanks for answer. Guess I will just live with the new dimples.

Hank

Also on PC Cruiser Forum (as you likely knew). Just posted another head-scratcher.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
The hood on my '03 is plastic and doesn't dent. Did they change to steel?
I believe every E-series 1992-2007 has a rust-free & dent-free composite hood. My 2007 does.

Ford went to a steel hood when they restyled the front, 2008 to today. If you own a 2008-2021, you cannot interchange hoods to get a composite one because of the styling change.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
The hood on my '03 is plastic and doesn't dent. Did they change to steel?

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
It is unfortunate that Ford stopped making the E-Series hood of fiberglass. The hood was changed back to steel when Ford restyled the front to the current day dump truck look. The fiberglass hood ran from 1992 through 2007.

About hail damage, if your vehicle gets dimpled by hail, there are paintless dent removal services that really work. I buy niche market cars for resale purposes. Ones made of steel often have door dings and other gentle creases and such. I call THIS local travelling guy in my community called On The Mark who comes out to your house and takes care of all those little imperfections. It always costs me the same $300 to take care of the entire car. The key to his success is how well the vehicle is polished. He works off reflection for perfection. I find every imperfection when polishing the vehicle and mark each with painter's tape. I'll have roughly a dozen points about the vehicle to address. He can handle much more serious damage than I give him, hence just $300 and the car then looks show car ready. It takes him 1.5 to 2 hours.

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
Just got two large squares of "mag vinyl" from my local print shop. They stick to the hood like glue..no tiedowns. I will only put them on when we are expecting bad weather. Cover virtually the whole hood. Not super cheap but easy on/off and I can put in the car to use as well when out and about.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight has moving quilts cheap, good to have several on hand. Also good to pad an area where you are working on something.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty - Good to know that some dings disappeared. We had an E350 Class C from 1992-2003 but never experienced hail (lived in Maryland). Had a 42' DP from 2004-2019 but it had a flat front so no dings. But most of the stuff on the roof of the DP was damaged 7 years ago during a once-in-a-generation hail storm here.

Regular covers do not work where we live - a mile high, lots of UV and wind plus strong storms.

I will watch the existing dings for "improvement" but will be covering the hood ASAP.

Hank
Custer, SD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Magnetic sheet is the ticket I think.
Just make sure your hood is not aluminum. Idk if new Ford Vans are Al or not. Many vehicles are now, including many Ford models.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
In '88 we got caught in a hail storm in our new Mallard. There were a lot of dings in the aluminum roof and a couple on the E-350 hood. Over time those dings leveled out some and the ones in the hood almost disappeared, you had to look to find them.

Dusty

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
A customer on Amazon just suggested using the "mag vinyl" like used for car door signs - wind proof and paint safe. I called my local print shop and can buy a piece/pieces to fit and they are only 1/2 mile from my house. I shall see how it works out before getting moving blankets and/or rubber mats.

Thanks for the help.

Hank
2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100
2012 Honda CRV Toad

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Packing/Moving blankets from Lowe's are pretty heavy with built-in padding. Could just release hook latch and put blanket over hood and lower it backdown to secure in place when parked.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
hanknjoyce wrote:
The problem with getting too creative is we are 50 miles from a metro area with buying options so (in the age of Coronavirus and trying to limit contact with shoppers) we have to make do with we have.

I don't understand this logic. Not by choice, I end up buying most "stuff" online anyways.
Of course you can strap a tarp to it. My presumption was you wanted something you could easily install and leave on long term without issue with wind or water damage to it or the paint.

Is the hood steel or not?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
Both are good ideas - Thanks. It occurred to me after posting that I could try a small tarp I have with some type of cushioning underneath to avoid chafing. The problem with getting too creative is we are 50 miles from a metro area with buying options so (in the age of Coronavirus and trying to limit contact with shoppers) we have to make do with we have. I am kind of surprised there is no market for this type product. I know bras get a bad rap for damaging paint if you drive and they move around.

FYI I Used to use a swimming pool cover on my previous 29' Class C when we lived in Maryland..but no real wind or UV issues. And I was a lot younger. Worked great.

Hank
2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100
Custer SD

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get some foam padding from a carpet store , cut it to size and use webbing straps to secure it.

you can buy pre-made or webbing strap in bulk length and buckles of the appropriate width separately.

webbing strap w/buckles