Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Feet in the passenger position

GilONel
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks,

The wife and I own a 2008 Jayco Greyhawk and her complaint is that she gets very hot feet from the maniforld exhaust that runs under her side of the motorhome. Its so bad it's nearly painful.
Has anyone out there had this problem before and have a solution for it. Myself I was thinking of a block of wood to raise her feet or some type of footrest.
If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gil
Gil
Smithville, ON.
Canada

2008 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Smithville, Ontario Canada
XM Radio
21 REPLIES 21

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
The owner of a local repair shop explained to me that the problem was not lack of heat shields or insulation but that there is not enough airflow around the engine and manifolds to "flush" the heat out. His solution is to fabricate and install a air dam below and behind the front bumper. He was right yes it is still warm but just that warm not hot. Gladys doesn't get the hot foot anymore and I do not have to have a towel between my leg and the dog house.
Thanks to Buds Service Center Mesa AZ.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
Looked at a 2015 Ford 450 at the FMCA Rally. The passenger leg space has been improved significantly, and the dealer claimed that the heat issue has been solved. Would like to see a testimonal from "the man who owns one" though.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

SRockwood
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
BUY A sprinter no heat problems, ford chevy has had this for a hole lot of years ,and I have plenty of leg room. sold my bornfree just because of the heat problem. and lack of leg room.

Yes! A $100k solution for a $50 problem. 🙂

mlts22 wrote:
Earlier today, I saw this article in passing which had a good guide to wrapping a manifold so the heat stays there, and doesn't wind up in the vehicle.

Another idea is to use HushMat/DynaMat/FatMat (whatever is either the thermal or both thermal/noise... just the noise without thermal will melt) insulation on the floorboards. This is something that I definitely plan to do around the doghouse area.

Wrapping the manifold will make it brittle and ultimately crack, unfortunately. I recommend against this.

You could fabricate a heat shield that bolts to the cylinder head and leaves an air-gap between it and the manifold, or create an air-gap between the dog house and floorboards. The stock manifolds are not shielded, so this would help a ton.

Old Crows wrote:
Ditto! Bit smaller RVs but very nice and efficient.

Looked at Ford & Chivvy based RVs in 2010 and ran away. They haven't changed in 40 years. Exactly the same issues with my FiL's Coachman Leprechaun. Passenger side foot wells were so hot it melted the rubber gaskets & floor mat. Hot air leaks around the dog house. Hideous seats jammed against the dog house. Jokingly small AC ducts in the dash. More plastic chrome!

If the footwells are getting so hot that the floormat melted (350*+), I'd say there was a serious mechanical problem (perhaps the coach was on fire?) that should've been fixed.

As for seat appearance, they look like automobile seats to me?

Small AC ducts? They look like normal sized automotive dash vents to me. Would you like some 14x14 wall registers installed in the dash?

Plastic chrome? You don't think the 3-pointed star on the front of der auto is actual chromed metal do you?

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Hey Hey Hey there just a minute, don't be draggin Chevy into this.....

They are known for their smooth ride with no problems with hot floors or
Hideous seats jammed against the dog house,they have a very roomy cockpit.

So just leave us out of that cat fight.......:R

Ohhhhhh sorry! Glad they fixed that! But you know what I'm sayin'....
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Hey Hey there just a minute, don't be draggin Chevy into this.....

They are known for their smooth ride with no problems with hot floors or
Hideous seats jammed against the dog house,they have a very roomy cockpit.

So just leave us out of that cat fight.......:R
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
Grumpy374 wrote:
Why is it everytime one of us members with a Ford Or Chevy based rig, has a problem, someone chimes in with "buy a Sprinter".
For you Sprinter lovers, they only go up to what 24, 25 ft. I have a 30 footer, on a Ford, and if I'd wanted a munchkin sized rig I might have looked at a Sprinter, but only if it were Ford powered. Would not, will not, buy a MB based rig.
I wanted a full sized, long, grown up rig, with enough power to pull my toad up through Canada, the Rockies, and into Alaska. Note, emphasis on a long full sized rig!!!
I wanted a rig with a queen sized bed that didn't fold up into a wall or ceiling, decent bathroom, recliner couch, eating area, something not found in a 24-25 ft rig.
So, enjoy your Sprinter, and leave the rest of us with "manly" sized and powered rigs alone!!!
Grumpy

You pays your money. & makes your "manly" choices...... I didn't say "buy" a Mercedes. I said the Ford & Chevy's are made the same way they were 40 years ago and based on the many threads here and elsewhere have the same issue(s) of oppressively hot passenger side floors, etc., that make them a beastly ride. The heat issue is not something I, or my wife, will tolerate considering we may drive 6-8 hours a day in the southwest......regardless of the length or 'manliness' of the RV.

If you don't mind driving in a 40-50 year old cabin and beating hell out of yourself and your passenger, buy a Ford...or a Chivvy. Don't complain and don't explain....

Bye-the-bye, our our ''Sissy' 24' View extends to ~28+'; has a queen bed, full lavatory, eating area, galley, a comfy couch/bed in the side slide out....and two Captains chairs...

And that pi$$ ant MB 3L turbo diesel... Sucks the doors off big Class As on the hill climbs and gets a miserable 15+ mpg.. It's awful...
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Why is it everytime one of us members with a Ford Or Chevy based rig, has a problem, someone chimes in with "buy a Sprinter".
For you Sprinter lovers, they only go up to what 24, 25 ft. I have a 30 footer, on a Ford, and if I'd wanted a munchkin sized rig I might have looked at a Sprinter, but only if it were Ford powered. Would not, will not, buy a MB based rig.
I wanted a full sized, long, grown up rig, with enough power to pull my toad up through Canada, the Rockies, and into Alaska. Note, emphasis on a long full sized rig!!!
I wanted a rig with a queen sized bed that didn't fold up into a wall or ceiling, decent bathroom, recliner couch, eating area, something not found in a 24-25 ft rig.
So, enjoy your Sprinter, and leave the rest of us with "manly" sized and powered rigs alone!!!
Grumpy

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
BUY A sprinter no heat problems, ford chevy has had this for a hole lot of years ,and I have plenty of leg room. sold my bornfree just because of the heat problem. and lack of leg room.

Ditto! Bit smaller RVs but very nice and efficient.

Looked at Ford & Chivvy based RVs in 2010 and ran away. They haven't changed in 40 years. Exactly the same issues with my FiL's Coachman Leprechaun. Passenger side foot wells were so hot it melted the rubber gaskets & floor mat. Hot air leaks around the dog house. Hideous seats jammed against the dog house. Jokingly small AC ducts in the dash. More plastic chrome!
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
RVWithTito wrote:
I have the same problem. I've purchased a couple rolls of this Thermo Tech Liner to fix the problem.

I plan to line the metal frame underneath near the exhaust under the right side. It is unprotected now and about 4 inches from the exhaust. I'm sure that's the main cause of my wife's hot feet. I also have enough to place underneath the carpet on both driver and passenger sides for added heat and sound insulation.

This should fix this problem. I'll report back with a video when it's done.

I look forward to the video! So does my wife and her feet!
Proud father of a US Marine

RVWithTito
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem. I've purchased a couple rolls of this Thermo Tech Liner to fix the problem.

I plan to line the metal frame underneath near the exhaust under the right side. It is unprotected now and about 4 inches from the exhaust. I'm sure that's the main cause of my wife's hot feet. I also have enough to place underneath the carpet on both driver and passenger sides for added heat and sound insulation.

This should fix this problem. I'll report back with a video when it's done.
2007 Four Winds 31F Class C; Ford E450 Chassis; 250 Watts Solar;

RV Solar, Towing, DIY and Tips on my website RVwithTito.com
Watch My Video Tips at YouTube/RVWithTito

GilONel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks, all good ideas. I will now get on this problem.
Gil
Smithville, ON.
Canada

2008 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Smithville, Ontario Canada
XM Radio

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
NWboondocker wrote:
Here's a cheaper alternative heat shield with good reviews that I plan to try.

I installed the Thermo Tec Cool It in our Lexington class c. It's a 2012 model, and wife was complaining a bit about the heat, not much, and only on really hot days.
When I pulled the dog house to install, I found tha there was a fairly good, one piece, moulded heat shield in place. Just had to remove the rubber gasket and it popped right out. The gasket holds it on and secure.
If you get the Cool It, be aware it has a very strong adhesive, once down, it's down. You cannot re-position it.
Because of all the curves and angles moulded in the dog house, you will not be able to put it in in one piece. I found it was much easier to cut (razor knife) 12" x 12" pieces and section it in.
Also, if you have a heat shield with a layer of insulation like mine does, you do not want to bring the Cool It all the way to the edges of the dog house. Leave a gap. This will let you re-install the original heat shield over the Cool It and make it easy to re-install the rubber gasket. If you bring it all the way to the edge, your effectivily doubling the thickness at the edge, and you'll have a hard time getting the gasket to open enough to get it back on.
The 60" x 36" is more than enough to do the dog house, with enough left over to cover the floor area on either side of the dog house.
Only taken one trip after the install, and wife said it does make a difference.
Also, it did cut back a bit on noise level.
Only tools needed are a good razor knife and a lot of blades--they get a sticky build up on them, and a seam roller. Its about 2-3" wide, used to roll edges of wallpaper, and comes in handy when installing the Cool It to knock down air bubbles and creases.
Grumpy

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
One item that no one ever checks is the seating of the dog house against the gasket, when the engine is serviced, many of the mechanics just shove the cover and force the latches, leaving a gap.

loosen the latches and make sure that the carpet and floor mats are out of the way, same goes for the carpet-floor covering on the foot wells, then if the heat persist check to see that the catalytic is not over heating due to an improper fuel air mixture.

Once that has been eliminated then go ahead and insulate the dog house and the floor, making sure that the dog house is properly seated, otherwise the purpose of the insulation is defeated.

navegator

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is an earlier thread that may be of help.

Click Here

One thing I Would Not Do is wrap the manifolds, that heat has to go somewhere,I did that on my old Class A and that broke them,a costly mistake.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C