cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Battery for Four Winds 22E

Top2MP
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Four Winds 22E has one house battery, which seems to be enough, however it will only charge to 1/2 (at least according to the control panel which shows 2 lights). I had it plugged in to 30 amp shore power for over 24 hours. Has any one installed a second battery in series and does that extend the life? Will that be too much voltage?

Thanks from a newbie.
12 REPLIES 12

mrmomb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 22e. The 6 volt batteries will not fit, I tried. They are to tall to fit under the steps. The largest you can fit are 2 group 27 12 volt batteries. Replace both at the same time.
2017 Thor 22E class C, Ford E450, 25'
2007 Aliner high wall expedition

1997 28' Sportsman TT
1994 Flagstaff PU
Many camping boats before...

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
kwplot34 wrote:
You can use 2 12V batteries, you have to join them Parallel then you will still have a 12v system.
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-bank-tutorial.html

DO this and charge with a battery desulphator charger like battery minder. Your batts will be great.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Top2MP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your advice, everyone.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Your rig likely came with one group 24 12 volt battery - if you choose to add a second you would need to set it up parallel (as opposed to series). Easy Google to see how to do that.

As others have indicated - the std battery status lights that come with RV's are pretty much worthless - have your current battery tested at any auto tire/parts house (it's free).

If your going to change batteries you have the option of switching to six volt deep cycle batteries - purchased in pairs and setup in series to obtain 12 volts. Some consider these superior to 12 volt batteries. The six volt batteries are taller than 12 volts and won't fit in some Class C's (they don't fit in mine). My rig has 2 Class 24 batteries which I purchase from Costco.

Hope this helps.
Kevin

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Top2MP wrote:
it will only charge to 1/2 (at least according to the control panel which shows 2 lights).

I would NOT go by the idiot lights on the control panel. They are notoriously erroneous.

Get a real voltmeter and actually check the battery or take it someplace and have it checked.

Tim

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
You can use 2 12V batteries, you have to join them Parallel then you will still have a 12v system.
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-bank-tutorial.html

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Most battery experts say that you shouldn't mix an old battery and a new one.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

OldShu
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2LQc2Z_aDc

Not sure were you are in battery knowledge so this may help get you up to speed.

If one battery has been sufficient then stay with that but they do need to be taken care of to have a long service life.

You night check on the power converter Brand and model to see if it has the features to maintain a battery. A good external battery charger may be needed to regenerate the old one or maintain a new battery.
'17 Lance 1475 w/160 w solar, Grp 31 Deep Cycl Trojan, Tire Traker TPMS, Prog. Ind. EMS-PT30C

'17 Ridgeline RTL AWD Equalizer 600/6000

Living the dream Thanks! How about you?

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Top2MP wrote:
Has any one installed a second battery in series and does that extend the life?

Will that be too much voltage?

NO.

Yes. But you can replace the one 12 V with two 6 V in series for approx. twice the capacity.

Read the tutorial recommended.

AND....you need to get a multi-meter and do some tests to be sure that your panel isn't lying to you. If there are lights only, they are notoriously inaccurate.

The battery might be bad but the charger/converter might have failed too......or both.

If your present battery has removable caps, have you checked the water level lately ? Any guess as to how old it is ??

Any name brand deep cycle battery with a similar capacity (amp hours) should be fine. An AGM type would be practically maintenance free and likely will last twice as long but is a good bit more expensive too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of folks like Trojan.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Top2MP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, 2oldman. Any suggestions for a quality battery to replace this one?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
yes, that would be 24v.

This tutorial may be of some help. 12v side of life.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman