cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I correct this problem?

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
A puddle of water drips on "shore water", and it looks like calcifaction. How is this repaired?

jb
32' Fleetwood Southwind,
Chevrolet HHR with Stowmaster
"Wrong side of the fence for the rest of the State of California"
14 REPLIES 14

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First, if that is a pressure recucer it is not a good one, get a Watts and put it between the park and the hose.

Now.. a common problem is the hose washer, they get old and hard and need to be replaced.. They still LOOK good, but alas, they are not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses.
I moved the reducer to the other end.

It must be the fitting. Not dripping from the hose fitting into the water "port", but what I see, either behind the petcock, or the seam at the bottom.
jb
32' Fleetwood Southwind,

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar drip in my wet panel. They replaced the valve. The extended warranty paid for it, along with a few other things that almost paid back the cost of the warranty. Almost.
The calcium/lime build up should not cause any problems, other than being unsightly.
IMO, pipe tape or pipe dope should never be used on a self sealing fitting such as flare fittings, compression fittings, or hose fittings (there is a washer or 0-ring in there that is supposed to seal). Pipe tape or dope is for tapered pipe threads only.
But, hey, if you have used it and it worked for you, it is your rig and you are entitled to do things your way.
Personally, I prefer to do it right instead of over.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting Arch.

Hadn't thought of that issue. But I follow 'cool' so I'm seldom in a place where that might happen. Good advice in hotter temps.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I would argue against the advice of putting the pressure regulator at the shore side of the hose.

When the sun hits the hose during the day tremendous pressure can be built up as the hot water expands.

My reducer is right where Jaybird's is and that's where it's staying.

I've had a hose burst and so when we leave the campground I always turn the campground water off.

I figure if the pressure is great enough to blow up a hose I'd rather the hose blow than my interior plumbing.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jim!
jb
32' Fleetwood Southwind,

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
CLR - It's either calcium or lime doing that. CLR will also descale lime.

Lime is calcium hydroxide, other common scale is calicum carbonate. Both will be removed by CLR.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, those petcocks are drains. And off would be the proper position. Looks to me from the photo that each valve has leaked from behind that panel. Based on the rust patterns. So I'd remove the panels and see what's up behind there. Probably just need to tighten things up back there.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
thank you ALL!
I will move the reducer and see if that makes a difference. To me it looks like the drip is behind the petcock. Is there a hose that could be broken behind it?

jb

P.S. are the petcocks in the proper position for shore water?
32' Fleetwood Southwind,

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
CLR - It's either calcium or lime doing that. CLR will also descale lime.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Using a plastic coupler, which is a little more pliable, often helps stop stubborn drips. Works like teflon but doesn't require redoing every move. And as mentioned, the pressure reducer should be on the shore water valve to protect your hose too. And it's weight might be contributing to the drip...if it's there at the city water inlet.

Wiping the area with vinegar will remove the white stuff, then you can watch for where the build up is coming from. But it kinda looks like both your valves need to be removed, cleaned, and wrapped with teflon tape.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a pressure reducer I see? If so, try putting that on the city supply side...then again maybe you're not talking about the hose dripping. Doesn't look like it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jaybird
Explorer
Explorer
Rudy!
Thanks!
Looks like leaking behind the petcock.

Is that build up going to rust out system?

jb
32' Fleetwood Southwind,

RudysWorld
Explorer
Explorer
Is it leakng from the connection? I use teflon tape to help the seal on the city water connection.
Rudy - 8 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS