cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you Deal with Test Drivers when Selling?

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Going to be selling my class C, wanted to know those of you who have sold motorhomes how do you handle it when a prospective buyer wants to drive it? I just worry about the inexperienced person behind the wheel!

Thanks!
Dave
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5
18 REPLIES 18

regis101
Explorer
Explorer
I've bought and sold a few vehicles of different flavors.
When I'm buying, an envelope full of money is in my pocket.
When selling, the length of test ride time is determined by the amount of cash in their envelope.
Thats just me
Peace. ~RL

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Take a clear cellphone pic of their license and insurance. If they refuse they were not serious. Agree with others, ride shotgun.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Don't offer to go along. Tell them you'll go along to explain how things work. That part is not optional.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
DrewE wrote:

Motor vehicle insurance policies include coverage for non-listed incidental drivers who are driving with the owner's permission. If you let a potential buyer to drive the vehicle, and you have insurance coverage, and the potential buyer is not explicitly listed as an excluded driver, then your insurance policy will usually cover them during the process. Of course, it's best to verify the details of your policy.

(This also applies to situations like sharing driving when traveling together with someone on a road trip or loaning a vehicle to a friend visiting for a few days.)

test drivers Insurance may cover damages...........to other property/vehicle but NOT the vehicle being driven.

Really depends on what coverage/policy one has.
Asking for/seeing/making a copy of test drivers Insurance is a good idea BUT it proves nothing.

I think you may have misunderstood what I wrote (and maybe I wasn't very clear)โ€”the insurance that covers the vehicle in a test drive situation is the normal insurance on the vehicleโ€”the seller's policyโ€”and not whatever policy the potential buyer may or may not have. If you're selling and you have collision coverage, that generally would apply to a test drive just as it would if you were yourself driving. If you don't have collision coverage but liability only, then of course you don't gain additional coverage during a test drive.

I certainly don't want to claim that all policies work this way, butโ€”as I understand thingsโ€”this is the most common situation.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Except.......
Insurance covers specific vehicle NOT the driver .....unless driver is listed on policy for that specific vehicle

Some one takes a test drive..an accident occurs.
Owner of vehicle's insurance.....denies coverage. Driver was NOT listed as authorized driver
Driver's insurance......denies coverage. Insurance policy is for specific vehicle

:H

Motor vehicle insurance policies include coverage for non-listed incidental drivers who are driving with the owner's permission. If you let a potential buyer to drive the vehicle, and you have insurance coverage, and the potential buyer is not explicitly listed as an excluded driver, then your insurance policy will usually cover them during the process. Of course, it's best to verify the details of your policy.

(This also applies to situations like sharing driving when traveling together with someone on a road trip or loaning a vehicle to a friend visiting for a few days.)

test drivers Insurance may cover damages...........to other property/vehicle but NOT the vehicle being driven.

Really depends on what coverage/policy one has.
Asking for/seeing/making a copy of test drivers Insurance is a good idea BUT it proves nothing.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Hiker_01 wrote:

When I did a test drive at a dealer, not only did they ask for a copy of my drivers license, they also made a copy of my current vehicle proof of insurance.

I had a similar request when looking to trade my Suburban. A dealer wanted my insurance card. I asked what happens if a first time buyer walks on the lot and wants to test drive a car, they don't have an insurance card.
They could not answer my question, because they knew their (dealers) insurance covered the vehicles.
I didn't buy from that dealer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Except.......
Insurance covers specific vehicle NOT the driver .....unless driver is listed on policy for that specific vehicle

Owner of vehicle's insurance.....denies coverage. Driver was NOT listed as authorized driver
Driver's insurance......denies coverage. Insurance policy is for specific vehicle

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put yourself in the prospective buyers shoes... Would you make a decision to purchase without a test drive?

I would agree that you have to weed out the tire kickers, but when I sell something.. anything, I try to treat the prospective buyer as how I would want to be treated. I probably provide TOO MUCH information, but I point out all the flaws that I know of, so they can feel comfortable that I have disclosed everything I know. That, and I price my stuff accordingly.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I thought Class C were based on a heavy duty van / truck chassis, is there something special to driving one?

YES......compared to a car or pickup truck, that is.

Visibility to the sides is SEVERELY restricted in most models. That can come into play several different ways.

Instead of a foot or more on each side in your lane, you might have mere inches in some circumstances.

They must be turned wider or you risk scraping the side against stuff......signs for instance.

If it is long enough, the tail swings way WIDE in the direction opposite of the turn if you cut it too tight.

The panic stopping distance is from twice to 4 times longer.

SO.....I would NEVER just let a "rookie" charge right out on the road or highway. Hopefully they would be honest when I ask "Have you ever driven anything this size before ?"
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hiker_01 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Ask for their Drivers License.......make a copy of it.

Then get in passengers seat and go for a ride.

IF at any time you feel uncomfortable ask that they pull over and swap seats...ride over.

When I did a test drive at a dealer, not only did they ask for a copy of my drivers license, they also made a copy of my current vehicle proof of insurance. I realize it would be a hairy legal issue as to who is really at fault and who pays what, but if you have a copy of their insurance card ahead of time, you won't have to fight to get it after wards, and you can let the insurance companies do the arguing.

Except.......

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Ask for their Drivers License.......make a copy of it.

Then get in passengers seat and go for a ride.

IF at any time you feel uncomfortable ask that they pull over and swap seats...ride over.

When I did a test drive at a dealer, not only did they ask for a copy of my drivers license, they also made a copy of my current vehicle proof of insurance. I realize it would be a hairy legal issue as to who is really at fault and who pays what, but if you have a copy of their insurance card ahead of time, you won't have to fight to get it after wards, and you can let the insurance companies do the arguing.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
A reasonable alternative for BOTH buyer and seller. Make the test drive one of the LAST step in the process.

So, agree on price, buyer finance etc lined up with sale "subject to"....

Typical "subject to" are: Inspection satisfactory to buyer (performed by buyer or inspector chosen by and paid by the buyer) and test drive satisfactory to the buyer.

Done this as seller, buyer and many many times as mechanical inspector for the buyer.

Sure, if major issues are found during inspection or on test drive, the price is renegotiable.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mkl654321
Explorer
Explorer
I would NEVER buy any RV or other vehicle without a thorough test drive. I need to now how the engine runs, hot and cold, how well the transmission shifts, if there is vibration at low or high speeds, how well the brakes work, etc. etc. etc. etc. I would interpret any reluctance on the part of the owner to let me drive the rig as ipso facto proof that there was something wrong about it that he didn't want me to know.

You see, in this kind of private transaction, there's something called "asymmetry of information." The seller knows more--MUCH more--about the vehicle than the buyer does. The seller, to address this, should offer some kind of assurance. Many used vehicle dealers offer a warranty. If you are unwilling to do that, then being willing to offer a test drive connotes honesty and sincerity. Conversely, being unwilling or reluctant to have a prospective buyer drive the vehicle connotes dishonestly and suggests that you are concealing something.

So how do you "deal with" this? Simply quell your existential fears about someone else driving your rig for a few blocks and realize that no sane buyer would ever even think about purchasing an RV unless he could take it for a thorough test drive. Remember, it's not all about you and your fears. The buyer is at least as much afraid that he'll be buying a rig that, it will become apparent, needs $8000 worth of work.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with wildtoad, to a point. However, when I got a bad feeling from a looker; ie pointing out how over priced I was, exaggerating about every flaw no matter how minor, stating that he didn't really like the unit and so on; I just politely asked them to move on, there's nothing to see here. This was often the one who would then ask to take the unit for a test drive. No way would I let them. I know I missed a lot of potential sales, but I know I kept myself out of some bad situations. I trust my gut. I think I should have added that I would not refuse a test drive to everyone. No one would want to buy without a test drive.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"