cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,366 REPLIES 8,366

VAIrishGrl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion, and I had reached the same conclusion myself. The man selling the Dodge was not at all forthcoming with info and would not let me send someone over to examine the van, so needless to say I decided to forget trying to buy it. I want something that will fit in my garage, and that one would. It was 19 feet long and the height of a standard van. I live in a very private little spot with only 4 other homes and lake and trees all around us. I respect my neighbors love of the natural views and would not want to park a camper in my yard. I also liked the fact that it would be easy for me to drive, park, etc. Oh well. That door was closed, maybe a window will open. At least I found this site and it will help to educate me.

Thanks again. Cayce

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
VAIrish, $2300 seems like a lot to me for a rig from 1972 which isn't running. Were I you and want it as much as you seem, I would fly there and check it out. Or find someone on these boards who lives close to it and politely make a request to them to go check it out and verify what works and revert to you their findings....

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
hey mun, check the website of the brand of MH you have. They may have a listing for manuals. I found one for my 73 on coachmans website still available. took the guesswork out of a lot of things for me, especially being a first time owner.

I did contact the MFG of my coach and they sent me a generic manual. I'm now acquiring manuals for the equipment on the coach (refr, water heater, etc...) and have purchased a Chilton's for the chassis. I finally figured I have an MB400 van!

It's a lot of fun tearing apart something, making it better and then taking the family out to enjoy it. There's not much that can go wrong with this coach that I can't fix myself. With the age (28 y/o) all the surprises are worked out of it and I don't have to worry about emissions when I tweak the engine.

In our fist 3 months we've put over 2K on it already! Still have at least one more trip this year to do (this weekend), the Oregon Coast.

VAIrishGrl
Explorer
Explorer
I am in Virginia Beach, VA, and thinking of buying a 1972 DodgeXplorer sight unseen photos only). I am having difficulty trying to determine how to offer a fair price as the seller knows (or pretends to know) nothing. I am basically buying the frame as the engine does not run. I am trying to figure out how much it will cost to have it transported @ 600 miles and the best way to do so. I don't know if the (Onan propane) generator works and he does not know the model number (he thinks it is original) so that I can get a price on repairing/replacing if that is necessary. He indicates that it has a full bathroom...shower, sink, toilet; holding tanks for fresh water (28 gal) and 24 gal for waste water; an interior airconditioner in the rear bdrm., 11,000 BTU gas furnace, Thetford Electra Magic Stool recirculating toilet, and a Norcold 3 way refrigerator. I have only his word and the small photos to verify these facts. Does anyone know if this is the standard equipment. I tried to get info from Onan in case I need to replace the generator and need the dimensions to know if that is feasible. I LOVE THE LOOK 7 SIZE OF THIS VAN!!! It is exactly the right size for an adventurous 'fifty something' single woman and her two Chinese SharPei. I would completely refurbish everything to my taste and add a microwave and tv/dvd/cd player and speakers. Would the original generator (should it work) support those items? Is $2300.00 a fair price (not including shipping) for a frame in great shape..no rust nor damage? HELP!!! All input appreciated as I have to act quickly ) or lose my chance. I have looked for years for a Travco 21 ft, and this is a similar set up. I want to just jump on it, but need to buy wisely. Any info or advice. I love this site. Thanks P.S. In case I decide against this motorhome-any leads close to VA for something comparably sized. I would love to park in my garage.

Koldei
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW;

I had e-mailed to forum@rv.net
and received as a reply
At this time, we are not planning to add any new forums. However, I will forward your request to Admin to be considered when we do add new forums.
1972 Rectrans Discoverer25R
Dodge M300 Chassis w/413

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
hey mun, check the website of the brand of MH you have. They may have a listing for manuals. I found one for my 73 on coachmans website still available. took the guesswork out of a lot of things for me, especially being a first time owner.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

Rhonda_K_
Explorer
Explorer
I would love a "Classic" forum as well, that would really be helpful when doing remodel projects for our 1978 Tioga. This year we replaced tires, the water pump to the radiator, all the belts, the truck battery, & the alternator was replaced just before we got it. We also bought allot of stuff for camping.

We wouldn't be taking it out again until next spring, we will be spending time working on it:

Change all fluids and filters, check all the belts and hoses, redo the upholstery on the side dinnette(and yes, we want it done in 70's style!), and we would like to redo the insulation in the cab(my husband complains of hot feet!). We also need to replace the clock that came with it(daughter broke it!), and are getting one of those Tote Along Tanks for next year, as there are no sewer hookups where we camp.
Rhonda & Scott
Tasia & her Barbie fishing pool
1978 Tioga 24'
2005 Stingray 185

mekola
Explorer
Explorer
I too would like to see a forum for classic RV's. Considering that we are in the process of remodeling ours, I am sure that this will be very beneficial to us as well as others.
1982 Starcraft Popup or a 1979 Dodge Renaissance Sportsman loaded with:
DH and I along with 2 kids and 3 mini schnauzers,
pulling a 16ft. trailer loaded with:
Honda 450S
Yamaha Grizzly 660
Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4
Honda 300 4x4
climbatv

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of a "classic" section for all the reasons already mentioned. I don't have the dealer/service issues, I am mostly on my own when it comes to fixing/repairing and maintaining my MH. To have a forum with like minded people owning the same thing with similar issues seems great.

Koldei
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also love to see a little corner for to offer help and support.
I understand that we all also fit into (at least) one of the other
categories. but when spread out like that it's hard to have
vintage/classic solidarity.

I do think there is room for a community of classic owner's (and
those who have been there, or will be there.

I wave to every Rv/camper i see, but the older ones that have wear...
OOPS i mean "character" get the thumbs up!

this has been brought up before:

"re-newing" older motor homes
Older Class A Motorhome photos
How many owners of older rigs are here?

g'day
Robert
Dodge M300 Chassis w/413

tkahike
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all for it. It should be opened up to anything older then 15 years. That brings things into the late 80's for models. I think a lot of us have purchased these units used. So there is always a little guess work involved. I've learned a lot from these forums.

Tkahike
Its smarter to be lucky then its lucky to be smart!

1986 29' Corsair travel trailer with a 2001 Suburban 1500

My other favorite forum: www.MINIONREPORT.net

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello Grand Slam 79, munkalido, Koldei and BobJoh!

Welcome to the Vintage thread here at RVNet! Koldei,
you've got one wild looking rig there! Would love to
see some more pix of that one!

Well folks, 79RoadRanger raised the question:

Posted By: 79roadranger on 8/30/2004 12:54pm

Maybe the moderators will set up a forum for "CLASSIC rvs"?
"It's not old...it's a classic!"

So, whattya all say? I for one will contact the RVNet forum
admins and moderators and ask... but I'd like for all of you
to chime in with your opinions- If there were a forum for us,
what would we consider? I'd venture to say all of us here are
Mopar folk, which means we are even more united in purpose over
a broader RV model base than other driveline manufacturers.

But I wouldn't want to leave someone out if they had a Chevy or
Ford based RV too... I think our main requirement should be:

Our RV's are at least 10 years old.
Paid for or nearly so.
Mechanical and maintenance done as much as possible by owner.
A willingness to share what we know, and a desire to help others
interested in older RV's.
Possibly later, a desire to grow into a realtime, offline group
that exists to meet, share and help its members in various ways.

So, if you guys would like to have a forum unto ourselves, here's
the opportunity- post to this thread and let the admins and mods
see how serious we are. We represent a very viable sector of the RV
market, and one rich in history as well. Now is our time to step
forward and shine!

Let's do it!

your fellow Classic RV nut,

Mark
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."

Koldei
Explorer
Explorer
it aint a "C" but.....
(see below)
Dodge M300 Chassis w/413

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, found this forum while doing a google search. After 30 some odd years of tenting it I finally bought a MH. Picked up a 1973 Dodge Coachmen Elite 28' (including bumpers and hitch). Needs some cosmetic work done. Motor and chassis look excellent. Powered by a 440, with hedman stainless steel headers and exhaust, 3 1/2" tubes. Sat in a guys side yard for 5 years, daughter used it for a play house. Dumped 5 gal gas into tank, 1/4 cup down carb, threw an old interstate battery into it and the girl fired and ran on the 5th roll of the engine!!! The only thing mechanically wrong is I have to put a new front hydro vac on. Front discs won't release.

Didn't want anything expensive, because my wife and I prefer woods camping over campground camping. Have been out with it twice. Sure is nice not living out of coolers and bags!!! We called it the "Chuck Wagon" because of my open fire cooking hobby. Looking forward to exchanging Q&A's with you folks on needed info.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

Tak
Explorer
Explorer
My Tennant has a 64 Travco. 440 motor, "The orginal 318 replaced in 1977" and a modified differential. This is a Travco that can get up and MOVE!

http://www.uncia.com/nrasser/64travco/bus2.jpg
http://www.uncia.com/nrasser/64travco/bus3.jpg
http://www.uncia.com/nrasser/64travco/bus4.jpg
http://www.uncia.com/nrasser/64travco/bus5.jpg
http://www.uncia.com/nrasser/64travco/bus6.jpg

I've road Tripped in it, its an amazing thing.......

When its parked Next to mine, My little Toyota based Class C 1991 Warrior looks like a toy........

http://polaris.uncia.com/danawolfe/RV.JPG

"Taken when I picked it up in AZ this summer"