cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,366 REPLIES 8,366

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
RvFNG76:

TBI -- Throttle Body Injection, one injector in the throttle body. The computer that comes with aftermarket units has to 'average' the eight cylinder when tuning and adjusting the injector.

MPI -- Multi-Port Injection, eight injectors, one in each of the intake manifold runners. The computer that comes with aftermarket units can tune and adjust each injector for the cylinder it serves.

Don't ask how the computers do that unless you want a PhD level course in software engineering and computer programming.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
RvFNG76 wrote:
Griff once again thank you so much for all your help with my families soon to be next home on the road. I've often considered the tbi swap. Now down to brass tacks do you think I could pull a throttle body and intake from a mid to late 80's dodge? As well as maybe swap out the tranny for a 518 4 speed from the same vehicle. The only reason I ask is I have a late eitghties b250 with a 318 do you think it will work or is there too many differences in the intake???

Leeann already responded well so I'll just add some ...

The main problem with early A518s was substandard lock-up clutch material in the OEM torque converter. It would disintegrate, plug the fluid cooler in the radiator, and the transmission would overheat and burn up. Dodge upgraded the clutch material but it's still not adequate for use in a motorhome. (Some non-Dodge OEM-equivalent torque converters are continuing to use the old material.) There are a few aftermarket A518 torque converters up to the task but they're comparatively expensive.

Regardless, the OEM overdrive unit is not up to the task of a motorhome. It's okay in a sedan or a half-ton pickup or van.

Just about everything between the pump and overrunning clutch in the A518 and A727 is the same and interchangeable. The overdrive unit, in the tail cone of the A518, was not designed and isn't manufactured to the same standards as the A727.

So, Leeann is correct. A Gear Vendors Over/Under unit is the only reasonable way of having overdrive in Dodge-based motorhome.

Because the computer that drives the Dodge fuel injection is also tied to the A518, a swap is not an option.

An aftermarket two-barrel TBI is one option for you. Another option, better in my opinion, is a MPI intake manifold and throttle body. Edelbrock makes one and I think there's another company that makes one, both with favorable reviews and fans in each camp.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

RvFNG76
Explorer
Explorer
Right on good thing I asked

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to respond to the question about the A518.

Don't do it. Not unless you like rebuilding the overdrive unit frequently, that is. The OD unit in our '90 B250 with 360 and A518 exploded. The rest of the trans, basically an A727, was perfectly fine.

Of the 14 Dodge B250 and B350 vans in the junkyard, NOT ONE still had an overdrive unit. Every one was removed, including the three that were pulled and then thrown aside because they, too, were exploded.

If you can find a Gear Vendors overdrive unit for an A727, grab it with both hands, but don't even think about a Dodge OD unit.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

RvFNG76
Explorer
Explorer
Griff once again thank you so much for all your help with my families soon to be next home on the road. I've often considered the tbi swap. Now down to brass tacks do you think I could pull a throttle body and intake from a mid to late 80's dodge? As well as maybe swap out the tranny for a 518 4 speed from the same vehicle. The only reason I ask is I have a late eitghties b250 with a 318 do you think it will work or is there too many differences in the intake???

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
As long as he keeps his foot out of it, we get 8-9 mpg when we're fully loaded with gas (36 + 36 + 27 gals) water (30 gals), propane (oh, heck - a large horizontal cylinder), 3 people and food, plus towing a trailer with 2 raceboats and motors and tools.

LMFAO!! Folks, pay attention! If you can't manage better mileage than Leeann, without a toad or heavily loaded trailer or enough gas for most people to drive the Alcan, it's your driving style or someone has a permanently installed siphon hose on your rig.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
^ Yup, that's why we threw that thing away (installing a block-off plate) and installed electric fuel pumps at each of the tanks, then installed an air hose one-into-three splitter, installed backwards, then a fuel pressure adjuster just after that, then one fuel line to the carb.

We only had one fuel tank, 36 (!) gallons. The Winnie we took the other two tanks from had a tank selector switch, but it was broken, so the electric fuel pumps and 2 toggle switches on the dash were the easiest and cheapest way to be able to switch between tanks while driving. Plus it adds security, because we turn off the pumps when we park and run it out of fuel to the engine on purpose, then leave the switches off. To start it, we turn on whichever pump we're going to use, pump the pedal 3 times and turn the key. Vroom.

As for the carb, our '73 440 has a ThermoQuad. My husband rebuilt it as far as he could, but the adjustment screws were broken off when we got it. So we bought a used one, same model number, and had his brother run it through the ultrasonic cleaner. Now it's time to take it apart and put the rebuild kit in, but we already have that on hand (make sure you get a rebuild kit that doesn't say NOS - new old stock means parts that aren't ethanol-compatible).

As long as he keeps his foot out of it, we get 8-9 mpg when we're fully loaded with gas (36 + 36 + 27 gals) water (30 gals), propane (oh, heck - a large horizontal cylinder), 3 people and food, plus towing a trailer with 2 raceboats and motors and tools.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Two additional thoughts:

In the military, there was -- and probably still is -- a saying, "We never have time to do it right but we always have time to do it over." Experience tells me it almost always cost more -- in terms of time AND money -- in the long run.

Engine-driven mechanical fuel pumps suck, literally and figuratively. The more distance between fuel and engine, the more they suck. Always have and always will.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I forgot to mention ... the family "craziness" has move to the next generation. About a week ago, our 13-year-old granddaughter showed up, asking about the Dakota sitting in our driveway. It's now her first "project." Depending on how that goes, and which direction she wants to go, her mom's (Erin, aka Prettykitty) '59 Plymouth Savoy restomod project or my MLP (motorhome) project could become hers.

As for the rest of the family, they're currently talking about a "Gypsy wagon" travel trailer project. (Possibly as many as three.) They're also talking about reviving one or two boatbuilding projects. They're also realizing there's a need for more than one trailer hitch in the family.

So, I'm not really dropping projects ... just being "promoted" to teacher/advisor/supervisor.

RvFNG76 wrote:
The only issue that has arrisen is I have to "reprime" the carburetor after it sits for a day. I'm assuming she needs a rebuild but at the same time kinda wanted to switch to a four barrel.Any thoughts???

If you're considering switching, I'd seriously think about a TBI or MPI intake system. Yes, added expense but worth it in the long run.

If you'd haven't already done so, I'd swap out the mechanical fuel pump for an electric pump located close to the fuel tank(s).

eyeteeth wrote:
My carb is a 4 barrel. 440... very thirsty...

BTW... rebuilt it recently, still a bit difficult to start after a while. Wondering if I don't have a bunch of hairline cracks in the fuel line.

Same with you as far as mechanical versus electric fuel pump.

And ... driving style has a lot to do with how "thirsty" big blocks and four barrels are.

Ballenxj
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:

BTW... rebuilt it recently, still a bit difficult to start after a while. Wondering if I don't have a bunch of hairline cracks in the fuel line.

Could be leaks, but could also be loose or bad fittings somewhere in the line. Possibly even a bad fuel pump? One thing for sure, you're losing pressure.
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer

Ballenxj
Explorer
Explorer
StingrayL82 wrote:

They did show up, but I don't remember anything after he hit me, just up to the point of the accident where I was saying, "Please slow down, please slow down, please slow...SH!T, this is gonna hurt". After that I don't remember anything.

started blaming everyone, me then her then me again, at which point I called him a mean old oral fornicator (get creative with the real word I used).
<-------->
Here are some pics of the car. I had just flipped 60,000 miles a block before he hit me...car still smelled new and it was a 2001. Turns out the one-piece hydroformed frame was a bit twisted, and I just found out that the day before I received my final settlement offer on the car, the insurance company sold it at auction for $828. How do you sell a car you don't yet own?

Doesn't look as bad as it was...

Yup, that looks pretty bad. Fiberglass bodied Corvettes react differently to impact.
I'd like to hear a follow up on how the insurance company sold a car they don't yet own. Something suspicious there.
I too hope your headaches and ringing go away soon.
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

RvFNG76
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Stingray I was thinking the same thing so I guess I'm off to rebuild her. Now to find out which one I have because rockauto has three different rebuild kits and no really good pictures.

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
RvFNG76 wrote:
The only issue that has arrisen is I have to "reprime" the carburetor after it sits for a day. I'm assuming she needs a rebuild but at the same time kinda wanted to switch to a four barrel.Any thoughts???

If you do, you will have to switch out all of the linkage. The 4BBL gas pedal rod is different, both in shape and in diameter, which means you have to drill out the bushing that the rod passes through to the engine compartment. The transmission kickdown linkage is different as well.

It can be done, I did it, but I had to really do my homework and make sure that I mimicked absolutely everything from a 4BBL to mine. I have never seen a 4BBL on a 70's van, but my factory service manual has a section for the Thermo-Quad. The donor I used was a 1983 B150 and it came with a Rochester Quadrajet that is currently sitting on my parts shelf and it's not even the original to the van. It's a pain and truth be told I'm not sure the slight benefit is really worth the headache.

Oh, and I got rid of all of my social media accounts one year ago...best thing I ever did.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
2005 Monaco LaPalma 37PST
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
Ballenxj wrote:
WOW! Sorry to hear that. Did the police show up and write a report?
My neighbor just got rear ended today, on the blvd, and Midland while waiting at a Red light. He got a report written, and the officer said he's still investigating the kid that hit him.
I hope you get justice.
PS, Anybody heard from Griff?

They did show up, but I don't remember anything after he hit me, just up to the point of the accident where I was saying, "Please slow down, please slow down, please slow...SH!T, this is gonna hurt". After that I don't remember anything.

Leeann wrote:
Holy ****, man...I hope the headaches and ringing go away soon. And that the police make the old guy take responsibility for his mistake - and then take his license away.

Itโ€™s summer and weโ€™re busy, running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Not getting nearly as much done as I did 10 years ago, though...

I was told that his license was permanently revoked, so there's that. I called the lady in the Yukon two days after the accident, to make sure she was okay. She was fine, the Yukon barely had a scratch and she was more worried about me. She filled me in on what happened after the accident.

While I don't remember anything, I never lost consciousness. I tried getting out of the car and collapsed back in, at which point she told me to stay put. The old man got out of his truck and started blaming everyone, me then her then me again, at which point I called him a mean old oral fornicator (get creative with the real word I used).

Then the ambulance showed up and carted me away. Here's the kicker, the accident literally happened in front of the hospital....$953 for not even a 30-second ride to the hospital.

The doc told me that, since this is concussion #4, the ringing and the headaches would take longer to go away. We'll see.

Here are some pics of the car. I had just flipped 60,000 miles a block before he hit me...car still smelled new and it was a 2001. Turns out the one-piece hydroformed frame was a bit twisted, and I just found out that the day before I received my final settlement offer on the car, the insurance company sold it at auction for $828. How do you sell a car you don't yet own?

Doesn't look as bad as it was...

They had to cut his bumper off to free his truck from the car and then they had to pry the frame off of my tire to get it to roll...

That is a 10-inch crack on the roof by the passenger door...
Fred
Retired Army Guy
2005 Monaco LaPalma 37PST
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme