cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,366 REPLIES 8,366

PolCat-76-Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Went out at noon left fuel pump run til count of 10, full choke no pumping of the pedal. Started right up ๐Ÿ™‚

The 3rd part of that video answered my question on the accelerator pump 4:35.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8CnQWTUSNU

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
PolCat-76-Avion wrote:
I found this on YouTube, it is what mine looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNhCLg9veg

Yep, the venerable Thermo-Quad. When itโ€™s properly built and tuned, itโ€™s one of the best carburetors out there. There are many people out there who hate it, because they donโ€™t know how to work on it. Youโ€™ll get arguments that the phenolic bowl cracks or warps. I have never seen one warp in my life and Iโ€™ve built quite a few. The reason they crack most of the time is because people either over tighten them or they forget that there are two screws that are down the primary bores and they try to use a screwdriver to pry it open.

If you take your time, and you use the factory service manual for your motorhome, you can get a really good running carburetor that gets decent mileage and gives you lots of power. Switching from a two barrel to the four barrel really woke my engine up. Plus, i really like the distinctive โ€œmoanโ€ the Thermo-Quad makes, when the secondaries engage.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
2005 Monaco LaPalma 37PST
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

PolCat-76-Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I found this on YouTube, it is what mine looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzNhCLg9veg

Part II shows these tabs. 5:50 into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huzO53WB_1c

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
I recently re-built my Carb, re-glueing the well caps in an effort to solve the same problem. It did not. If you have a second guess, I'm open. Was starting the link the fuel line may just be old enough that its in need to replacement... But I can't figure out why that would cause problem with fuel that should already be available in the bowl.

From my extensive research on the subject, the aforementioned epoxy is the only one that seems to have success in keeping the well caps firmly in place and leak free. The key is to make sure that the old epoxy is completely removed from the fuel bowl and the caps, make sure that you give it a good key with some sandpaper, then clean with denatured alcohol, apply the epoxy, install the caps firmly, and let it cure for a couple of days, otherwise the ethanol will destroy the work youโ€™ve done.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I recently re-built my Carb, re-glueing the well caps in an effort to solve the same problem. It did not. If you have a second guess, I'm open. Was starting the link the fuel line may just be old enough that its in need to replacement... But I can't figure out why that would cause problem with fuel that should already be available in the bowl.

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
PolCat-76-Avion wrote:
StingrayL82 would you have pictures of this? My experience is with vintage snowmobiles not larger carburetors.

Here you go. Keep in mind that there is an identical well cap on the other side of the bowl. Almost everything on the Thermo-Quad is siamesed.

Of course, this is ASSuming that you still have the original Thermo-Quad on your 440, and not a replacement, like Holley or Quadrajet.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

PolCat-76-Avion
Explorer
Explorer
StingrayL82 would you have pictures of this? My experience is with vintage snowmobiles not larger carburetors.

StingrayL82
Explorer
Explorer
PolCat-76-Avion wrote:
My question to the group is does the 76 Mopar 440 carburetor have a primer pump? If you pump the foot pedal does it pump gas into the carburetor throat? It has sat for a week and now will not start. It has an electric fuel pump on it so I let the pump run for awhile before trying to start it. Last weekend we went camping and when we went to leave it was a hard start.

Update: went out and let the fuel pump run for 2 more minutes and it started right up ๐Ÿ™‚

If you are having to run the fuel pump that long to get it to start, the most likely culprit is going to be the fuel bowl well caps that sit underneath the phenolic resin bowl on the Thermo-Quad. Iโ€™m going through that right now and just bought some Loctite E AEโ€“120HP resin to re-epoxy them. Itโ€™s almost identical to what Carter used when they were assembling them.
Fred
Retired Army Guy
Workhorse W24 chassis
8.1L Vortec
Allison 2100 MH
Onyx Color Scheme

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
We turn on the fuel pump, pump the pedal gently 3-4 times, then turn the key.

Thatโ€™s on a โ€˜73 440, so Iโ€™m not sure if thereโ€™s any difference.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

PolCat-76-Avion
Explorer
Explorer
My question to the group is does the 76 Mopar 440 carburetor have a primer pump? If you pump the foot pedal does it pump gas into the carburetor throat? It has sat for a week and now will not start. It has an electric fuel pump on it so I let the pump run for awhile before trying to start it. Last weekend we went camping and when we went to leave it was a hard start.

Update: went out and let the fuel pump run for 2 more minutes and it started right up ๐Ÿ™‚

RvFNG76
Explorer
Explorer
I've considered driving and living in permanently and my van but Michigan Winters

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, man. That just sucks. I mean, having to sell the RV is bad, but divorce sucks.

Goreds, glad to hear yours still runs so well. Itโ€™s nice having a spare vehicle thatโ€™s also a spare โ€˜houseโ€™.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

RvFNG76
Explorer
Explorer
Well guys it's with a heavy heart that I must sell my baby....going through a pretty nasty divorce and unfortunately I'm either gonna have to store it long term or sell it. But situation dictates that I need the cash right now more than anything. If anyone knows of anybody near Centreville,MI looking to buy it I'm open to reasonable offers. She's a 1976 coachmen Leprechaun with a 360 and 727. Doesn't burn oil doesn't slip gear the only downside is the speedometer doesn't work because the gears inside are smoked. She's got new brakes all around just redid the rear axle new fluid new seals. Lots of time and energy has been invested.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Drove it to work Thursday and Friday. The 1989 still drives great. It still does not burn or leak any oil. It was clean as can be when I checked it.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Old_timer_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Have you still got this oldie on the road. Mine is a 1978 Dodge wickes 2000.
The 78 has a 3300lb front axle. The 79 has a 36000lb. Has anybody found parts for the front axle if it's got duelies On the rear.
The part number for the rotor is different than the single axle. The duel #4037876 and the single #4037875. The book that I found says the 875 works for b,cb,mb3,d. Thats all single axle. Just from memory that is. I think that the rotor is bigger because of the rear end having more humph.
The camper section sleeps six and it goes by the name of "Empress" and model starts #20CDL as such I take it that it's a twenty foot made in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.

Anyone around this thread anymore?

whiteknight001 wrote:
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
dfhslm@telus.net
Dodge user