cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Old to Buy?

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy a Used GAS class A to fulltime in. I plan to fulltime at least 10 years and possibly as long as 15, before I settle down in some "retirement" type setting. How old of a MH should I consider, knowing I will be traveling some and sitting some for a number of years? My income will not allow me to spend 100K on the MH, as I will need toad and a bit for emergencies, but am a bit flexible, as I will be selling TT and F150 to offset part of purchase price. I am slightly handy, but will have someone do major maintenance and repairs. I don't do ladders, so will have all roof work done too.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS
29 REPLIES 29

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
OP here,..snip...Again, what I am looking for is advice on what age MH's should I be looking at if I want to use it for at least 10 years as a fulltime home. I am looking for something that both the motor and the house are durable enough to still function after years of use...

If you're set in your idea of a Class A, then I would work backwards. How old is too old for a reliable Class A... 20 years maybe 25 years??? If that is the case, and you're planning 10 - 15 years of FT'ing, then I guess you're talking a used Class A that is about 10 years old.

My gut (based on my past experience) tells me that you really want a rig that is about 5-8 years old if you plan on living out of it for another 10-15.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
A v10 F53, or workhorse chassis, '99 or newer, or '05 or newer if you can afford it. With one or more slideouts and a 5000 lb tow rating for your toad.

Stick with the "good" lines, Winnie, Fleetwood, Monaco, newmar.
You'll find lots of suitable coaches at $20k up to maybe 60k.

a 99 ford chassis was new design, but workhorse was the old P-30-32 for several years after 99. don't know what year you would be safe with on a chevy/workhorse
bumpy

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
A v10 F53, or workhorse chassis, '99 or newer, or '05 or newer if you can afford it. With one or more slideouts and a 5000 lb tow rating for your toad.

Stick with the "good" lines, Winnie, Fleetwood, Monaco, newmar.
You'll find lots of suitable coaches at $20k up to maybe 60k.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, thanks to all the folks who are providing suggestions for trailers and explaining steps in MH to me, but I have already considered all those things and made the decision to go with a gas class A MH. I have a number of years experience with several TT's and have spent some time in a Class C. I have gone to large shows to look at various options and determined that a Class A will be the best option for me.

Again, what I am looking for is advice on what age MH's should I be looking at if I want to use it for at least 10 years as a fulltime home. I am looking for something that both the motor and the house are durable enough to still function after years of use.

Thanks to those who have already answered my original question.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question:

I would say a Winnebago about 5 years old or so on the Ford Chassis. You could get a lift installed as others have said for the entry steps if needed.

I wouldn't want a towable in your situation either. The Gas v10 powered motorhomes don't require maintenance much more expensive than the V10 powered pickups. Find a floorplan you like and go for it!
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
What ever you do I think you should buy a gas vs diesel. I presently own a 2002 diesel and have done a lot of maintenance the last 2 years. 15K worth plus or minus. I have owned both but still prefer the diesel Motorhome, but it is much more expensive than gas for oil changes and general maintenance! A gas class C might be your best alternative, easier to drive and lower maint costs!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
An old diesel with a 5.9 cummins or a DD in it will outlast your time. We gave people buying early 90s Foretravels for in the 20s and the run great and they full time in them. All coaches the age you are looking at of the older variety will depend on previous maintenance. I have friend in a 93 that are going to Alaska this summer. It is a small learning curve to go diesel but the older gasses usually will need a transmission much sooner if it has any miles on it. The newer gas units with a newer transmission us tougher it seems.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I personally would look for a ford chassis V10 Coach.

I like the Winnebago brand personally.

A slide will be very nice.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Given what you said, I would think a Travel trailer would be your best choice. They may lack the security you wish, but your truck should be able to pull one, you know your truck, very limited steps, and TT are cheaper to buy. If FT'ing doesn't work out you don't have a ton invested in one.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Nowitall
Explorer
Explorer
I have to climb 5 steps to get into my Fleetwood Southwind. I don't think you'd be avoiding steps by getting a motoryhome. Plus, a motoryhome often requires more maintenance than a pickup/5th wheel combo. Can you afford to live somewhere while the motoryhome is in the shop?
nowitall@gmail.com
2004 Southwind 32VS (8.1 Litre Chebby)
2009 Mazda Tribute Toadie
Finally escaped the hoomidity and skeeters for the Front Range of Colorado!

Travelin' By RV

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen very nice 2006 motorhomes for under $40,000. Make sure you get a unit with slides, not only do you get more space, if you ever sell it you'll have a HARD time doing so without them (especially so in 10 years or more). In your position, I would stick to the higher quality brands like Winnebago, Tiffin and Newmar which you should have no problems finding for a good price.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy as new as you can----here in the South East you can get a awful nice class A for under $50,000. I have even seen some nice DPs for a lot less than that. Slides are nice but to me just one more thing to break and no slide models are a whole lot cheaper.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to have steps somewhere. If you are going to just stay in the MH most of the time, then that will work better. However, if you go out much at all, then makes little difference.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
For those of you that are suggesting getting a fiver... that isn't an option for several reasons.. first they have steps inside and my knees don't like steps.. second my truck won't handle a very big one. and as I am a female who will be traveling by myself (except for occasional grandchild visit), I want a Motorhome for security.

I am thinking Gas instead of diesel because of maintenance cost.. and the fact that I have NO CLUE of how a diesel engine works. I have quiet enough issues convincing repair shops here not to assume because I am female I will go along with whatever they say. I won't have any knowledge to bargain with on diesel.

MOST Class A motor homes do not have interior steps but on my coach there are five steps to get in to and out of the coach. They do make handicap lifts that can be attached to the side of some Class A coaches.