cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to get an RV up a steep drive way

2_Beagles
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering purchasing a new Thor Quantum 25'. I'll need to back it up my driveway that looks like this:

--------\
----\
----\
----\
----\
-----------

Actually, it's not that bad. It's a smooth rise of about 6 feet. I can get my 24' Winnebago up now with about a one inch clearance, but the Thor Quantum is definitely lower to the ground. I'll need to raise it a little bit so the low spot on the bottom doesn't hit the rise in the driveway.
Do you know of a not-to-weird method to tweak the RV to make this happen?

Thanks for your ideas.
Joe
17 REPLIES 17

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
bobndot wrote:

I did the same using AirLift bags and they only raised my already sitting level 24โ€™ C 1/2โ€.
It was explained to me by Two AB companies that ABโ€™s are designed to raise a sagging vehicle back up to level .
Before you install a set of ABโ€™s to try to solve a scrapping clearance issue , i would make a few calls. I tried the wireless onboard compressor and it was leaking from day one.

A truck spring shop can install spacers and that will raise it to what you need. The overall height of the rv as well. Its possible that you might feel crosswinds a little more.

That makes no sense. A properly installed set of 5000 or 7500lb airbags would put a serious lift on the back of the rig at full pressure. Something wasn't right.
Yes they're designed to gain back excessive sag, but they will lift it way more than 1/2" past static ride height at max pressure.
Rear axle lift blocks are an option, but they aren't going to lift the whole vehicle, just give it a rake.

Firestone says this about their air bags and I found it to be true in my applications for both my 2500 GMC and my 32ft Cambria

"While adding air can cause your vehicle to ride an inch or two higher, air springs are not designed to raise your vehicle above factory height."

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bobndot wrote:

I did the same using AirLift bags and they only raised my already sitting level 24โ€™ C 1/2โ€.
It was explained to me by Two AB companies that ABโ€™s are designed to raise a sagging vehicle back up to level .
Before you install a set of ABโ€™s to try to solve a scrapping clearance issue , i would make a few calls. I tried the wireless onboard compressor and it was leaking from day one.

A truck spring shop can install spacers and that will raise it to what you need. The overall height of the rv as well. Its possible that you might feel crosswinds a little more.

That makes no sense. A properly installed set of 5000 or 7500lb airbags would put a serious lift on the back of the rig at full pressure. Something wasn't right.
Yes they're designed to gain back excessive sag, but they will lift it way more than 1/2" past static ride height at max pressure.
Rear axle lift blocks are an option, but they aren't going to lift the whole vehicle, just give it a rake.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
Ok klutchdust, I misunderstood thought it was a trailer. Forgive me.
I had a 28 ft damon that I fipped the axles on years ago to get in and out of my driveway, towed several thousand miles with no problem.
So I guess we can all miss speak about things we don't understand.
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Hitting the initial rise at an angle can help... if that's possible in your situation.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
happy-2 wrote:
I would take the new rv and try it before i bought it,,You mite try Air Bags. My 30 footer used to clear my driveway at 1 in .but with Airbags i now have 6 in more.i can keep the tow bar on and its off the ground at 18 in.

Before you install a set of ABโ€™s to try to solve a scrapping clearance issue , i would make a few calls. I tried the wireless onboard compressor and it was leaking from day one. I got a full refund on parts and installation a few weeks later. Total was $1700. Wireless compressor model is expensive.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Birdnst wrote:
You may also look to se if your axles are above or below the leaf springs,if above you could have a reputable shop move them to below witch would give the whole trailer added hieght.

Subject is about a motorhome. I see trailers that "flip" their leaf springs to gain more travel height which seems like a bad idea, stability wise.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
This picture shows our situation, but it does not capture how extreme the angle is.

The guy who graded and poured our concrete driveway actually followed my instruction to start out easy and gradually increase the angle instead of having an abrupt angle. That was completed 3 years prior to buying our rig. By shear luck, we don't scrape when fully loaded including our tow vehicle attached, but it does get close.

I recently purchased these rollers but have not yet installed them. I wonder if the rollers will make contact. I will find out soon enough.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
My son has similar issues and we took two 12x2x6โ€™s and put a piece of 4x4 in the middle to smother the incline. He stores them on the side of the house but only brings the trailer home for loading an unloading before and after a trip. Permanent storage is at his brothers house as ccrโ€™s donโ€™t like rvโ€™s in driveways.

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
You may also look to se if your axles are above or below the leaf springs,if above you could have a reputable shop move them to below witch would give the whole trailer added hieght.
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might have to put blocks at the foot of the drive and pitch them in a way so the RV rear is raised before it bottoms out, the once you are over that hurdle you can remove the blocks and back it straight up the drive. Be careful and have a spotter to help. Be careful of rolling.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Use this to post pictures....

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
You might try putting boards on the driveway to get enough lift.
Do you have option of driving in at an angle? That could make a difference.

My thoughts exactly. You need to reduce the initial change in elevation at the beginning. Angling if possible helps. Air bags only give a few inches, maybe. Can you post a photo.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You might try putting boards on the driveway to get enough lift.
Do you have option of driving in at an angle? That could make a difference.

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
I would take the new rv and try it before i bought it,,You mite try Air Bags. My 30 footer used to clear my driveway at 1 in .but with Airbags i now have 6 in more.i can keep the tow bar on and its off the ground at 18 in.