cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to quiet a noisy engine and transmission

Tom_in_Tulsa
Explorer
Explorer
2002 monaco gasser on a Workhorse frame. 8.1 Vortec, allison trans.

Is there such a thing as an acoustic baffler blanket that can go in the doghouse? When pickup up speed, the Allison screams to the point i have to take out my hearing aids, which is OK, but then i can't hear my Darlin Person next to me...but then again...;)
Cant even hear the radio....

Ideas please...or am i just stuck with it....and her...:)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator
5 REPLIES 5

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Monaco W22 8.1L was pretty quiet except when the fan clutch locked up when the coolant temperature got hot. Perhaps your old fan clutch has frozen, or is just very tight, and this is causing it to scream a lot more than normal.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
When I re-carpeted my floor, I left the old carpet and installed new on top of it. That helped with noise and heat.

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
I took my doghouse cover to our local upholstery guy, who glued on some auto carpet padding about an inch thick. The outcome was remarkable.
The other huge noise issue was the right side exhaust manifold that warped and spit a retaining bolt on #8 cylinder. Fixing that moved a lot of noise down the tailpipe.
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dynamat here also.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I added a layer of Dynamat Extreme then a Dyna Hood liner under my fiberglass doghouse cover and it helped considerably. Not cheap, but worth it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905-Hoodliner-Self-Adhesive-Deadener/dp/B00069QLVC

and
https://smile.amazon.com/Dynamat-10435-Self-Adhesive-Deadener-Xtreme/dp/B00020CAUG/