cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HWH jack problem

jimhaz2402
Explorer
Explorer
We have a '07 Tiffin Phaeton with a HWY hydraulic 625 Leveling System.
A week ago we were ready to take off only to find that the touchpad was still all lit up with alarm and red light ON. So I hopped out to see if the jacks had retracted. They had! Whew! But the touchpad thought they were still down so had to listen to the alarm and watch the red light for the next 70 miles until we reached the next CG. Next a.m. I hit the 'store' button, the jacks all retracted. No alarm or red light came on and all was well. Today we went thru the same 'store' sequence--the red light/alarm stayed on the entire 75 miles. Yes, I did call HWH SEVEN DAYS AGO--no one has bothered to call me back! Any ideas out there as to what I need to do? Sounds as if the pad has a problem to me. Thanks. jim
15 REPLIES 15

jimhaz2402
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
jimhaz2402 wrote:
WNY-Pat

Thanks for the link. I'll start 'sifting' thru the Troubleshooting section. Got a blurb thru the mail from HWH: "Turn ON system to see if a red light is indicating a jack down. If so, go to the jack & make sure it is retracted. If so, will unplug the WR SW & see what happens & then check the WR SW". I never was good at code! Are they talking about a wiring switch?
Doxie and Doug--I'll look at your 'angles' when we travel next Sat. to LA. Thanks. jim

EACH Jack has a down magnetic switch on top the jack cylinder. IF the jack is inded fully retracted and THAT jack red down light is ON, you unplug that switch on top the jack and the light goes out. VERY RARE for a HWH down switch to fail. There are 3 wires on top the jack if Automatic(computerized) Leveling. the down switch has 2 wires and just unplug it. The other is a single wire pressure switch, do not unplug it. I am a HWH factory trained tech and I also am confused by the WR. It obviously refers to the Down switch, but what WR means, HWH will have to explain. They may have meant to write WS which is what the switch is called--- Warning Switch. Doug

Doug---I've had several suggestions about checking the fluid level. If it's not 1" from the top, can I get away with using Dexron III or is it pretty mandatory to use HWH Specialty Hydraulic Oil? I'll print out your technique and then see if that will, at least, turn off the chime and the red light. I assume then that a new down switch will have to be installed IF that is the cause. I've made an appointment @ Aloha RV in Albuquerque just in case.....Thanks for your help. Jim

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
jimhaz2402 wrote:
WNY-Pat

Thanks for the link. I'll start 'sifting' thru the Troubleshooting section. Got a blurb thru the mail from HWH: "Turn ON system to see if a red light is indicating a jack down. If so, go to the jack & make sure it is retracted. If so, will unplug the WR SW & see what happens & then check the WR SW". I never was good at code! Are they talking about a wiring switch?
Doxie and Doug--I'll look at your 'angles' when we travel next Sat. to LA. Thanks. jim

Doug is a 1st class RV tech, knows what he is talking about!!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jimhaz2402 wrote:
WNY-Pat

EACH Jack has a down magnetic switch on top the jack cylinder. IF the jack is inded fully retracted and THAT jack red down light is ON, you unplug that switch on top the jack and the light goes out. VERY RARE for a HWH down switch to fail. There are 3 wires on top the jack if Automatic(computerized) Leveling. the down switch has 2 wires and just unplug it. The other is a single wire pressure switch, do not unplug it. I am a HWH factory trained tech and I also am confused by the WR. It obviously refers to the Down switch, but what WR means, HWH will have to explain. They may have meant to write WS which is what the switch is called--- Warning Switch. Doug

jimhaz2402
Explorer
Explorer
WNY-Pat

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Low fluid level? Ours beeps when even just a little low and says jacks are still down when they are not.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jimhaz2402 wrote:
I looked thru the HWH manual yesterday but saw no trouble-shooting help. Going to their website sounds like a good idea. Jim

I gave you the troubleshooting help. Which Jack shows down? When you retract the jacks, are you turning the touch pad OFF once the last down light or beeping stops? Do NOT turn the touch pad off after the Down indicator shows they have retracted. Leave it on for at least 1 minute. It will also turn itself OFF after about 6 minutes. If you turn the system OFF after the jacks indicate they have retracted, there is still about 1 inch of travel left in the piston for full retraction. Doug

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Service Manual
HWH TOUCH PANEL-CONTROLLED
625 SERIES HYDRAULIC LEVELING SYSTEM
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

jimhaz2402
Explorer
Explorer
I looked thru the HWH manual yesterday but saw no trouble-shooting help. Going to their website sounds like a good idea. Jim

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
WE had a problem with our touch pad after 10 years and had it repaired at the factory for $22.50. Yes repaired for $22.50 we also had all three return springs replaced. Of course we had to drive to the factory but were nearby at a rally so it was not to bad.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
HWH has good troubleshooting guides on their website for your series jacks.
Download them and follow them, it could be as simple as a loose connection.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There are 4 jacks and EACH jack has a retract sensor. Your touch pad will show WHICH of the 4 jacks is down. So, which jack shows down? The odds are the offending jack is NOT fully retracted. When you look at the jacks when the down sensor is ON, see if you see any of the shiny silver piston. If you do, the jack/s are not fully retracted. Doug

whporwil
Explorer
Explorer
I called HWH last June and was told they would get back to me. They did in October.

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
I have Power Gear and have a similar problem where everything is up, the darn down jack sensor sometimes will not go out. Been trying to figure out the intermittent problem.

Anyway, if your control panel is like mine, you can do as I do and remove the panel & unplug the control panel so you don't have to listen to the buzzer while driving. :C
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

rodcole
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will sometimes do that when I start out on unlevel ground. It takes some time to correct itself. Try turning off your battery power at the compartment disconnect switch. Your jacks should be on your chassis batteries. Often this will right a solid state circuit.
Rod and Candy
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
40' 400 ISL,
GMC Envoy toad,
Lucky Lukas the Miniature Schnauzer