cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I messed up my floor

Mybackyard
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 Winnebago Chieftain. We decided to replace the carpet and old linoleum with new self stick tiles. The removal went well and putting the new tiles worked great and we are very happy with the results. Now... This is where I messed up. When cutting out the old carpet and linoleum from under the slide. I put the slide (kitchen and sofa) all the way out and cut the old flooring. So, as you can assume, now when I run the slide the stuff under the slide is catching, bunching up, etc. With the slide all the way out I can see a couple of parts sticking out the exterior between the bottom of the floor of the slide and the top of the basement storage (I can't reach to cut it off). But, I know that there is more still under the slide flooring. Please, please tell me that this is something that can be fixed without costing me millions.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any help you can give.
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, I have 3 slides on my RV. one (The bed) getting the carpet out from under it is NOT going to happen.
The wardreobe by removing one panel I can get all the way to the wall

THe MAIN slide.. IF I bring it in just a little I can work it so I can reach under and pull out the rest of the carpet.. I'd sharpen a wide edge and hammer it under the carpet remnant to remove any tacks, then use duck bill pliars to pull it out.. I should be able to get it all.

HOWEVER that dpends on how your slide works.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Its been a few years but iirc I was reaching in there with a large channel lock plier.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at mine and it has some flaps of the old linoleum under there that might touch the bottom of the slide but they're not stopping anything from moving

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Mine also has two rails with gear tracks that move it out and in but there are five small rollers about an inch or so in diameter that I can see when the slide is out. When the slide was all the way out I reached in there with pliers and ripped the carpet out and cut it.

As long as there is not so much carpet that it's caught in the rollers there shouldn't be a problem if strands of it are loose under there. Did you see the rollers?

Mybackyard
Explorer
Explorer
The slide is not a flat-floor design. It rides in and out on 2 frame rails.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Does your slide ride on rollers or does it sit flush with the rest of your floor when it's out.