cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If you had a do-over, which would you get?

Damdifino
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, if you could do it again would you go for a Mercedes diesel or a Ford V10?
2014 Arctic Fox 22H.
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser URJ200 Series
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
30 REPLIES 30

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
V-10 without a question or any hesitation.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
To the doubters, I used to own a 2005 Pleasure-way Excel with a v10. This was the 305 hp. It was a 20ft Class B with single rear wheels. The new owners report they're doing better than I because I am kind of a lead foot. If I remember correctly, the engine was turning something like 2300 rpm 65 mph. The numbers might be slightly different as to engine rpm.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 Thor 22e on an E350 chassis with the standard Triton V10 here. After 3 cross country trips and 38,000 miles it gets 8.0 mpg. Might get 8.5mpg on scenic back roads, or 7.0 on the Interstate with a head wind, but the over all average is 8.0. So far no mechanical problems, knock on wood.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I've had an MB based class C (Itasca Navion) since 2011. It was ordered new. If it was destroyed today I'd likely go out and order a 2020 View/Navion. I find maintenance easy on the Benz, mostly because the engine is so accessible. The oil filter is up front at the top. If one invests in an oil suction pump, one doesn't even have to get under the vehicle to change the oil/filter. I also like the driving position a lot.....especially with no engine in the cab with me.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
Just sold my Ford v10 based rv last year and bought a Mercedes based class c. Never in 89,000 miles did I ever do a thing to the engine other than oil and filter changes. Mostly I could do about any mechanical repair to this thing short of a transmission rebuild. I'm shocked that people call this engine a gas guzzler. I was getting anywhere from 12-14 mpg. My Mercedes 3500 class c averages about 14-15mpg. To be fair, the mercedes rv is about 3feet longer but still! Hands down, the Ford v10 is the best and this is the first and last Sprinter.

You need to share your secrets, you can't get 12-14 in regular cab 2wd pickup with the V-10.

As for the subject matter, Ford V-10 all the way.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Not usually anyways. There's a handfull of similar 22-24' coaches with similar bodies, but generally the Sprinter coaches are smaller, with a much more aero front cap.

Some E-series V10 Class B+ coaches will get 10+. Some squared-off cabover MBs like the Thor Quantum might struggle to hit 14.

Keep in mind most Sprinter coaches only have 4 seatbelts, even if they have more seats, in order to maintain an achievable carrying capacity.

So.... I suggest checking out floorplans in person, and then doing some test driving. Also don't forget that more and more coaches are available on the Transit platform. It's the most car-like, and the diesel gets very comparable fuel economy to the Sprinter. And for a smaller gas coach, I'd certainly trust the 3.7L gas Transit over the MB 2.0L turbo gas motor. That tiny engine will be in boost full time!
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ernie1 wrote:
Just sold my Ford v10 based rv last year and bought a Mercedes based class c. Never in 89,000 miles did I ever do a thing to the engine other than oil and filter changes. Mostly I could do about any mechanical repair to this thing short of a transmission rebuild. I'm shocked that people call this engine a gas guzzler. I was getting anywhere from 12-14 mpg. My Mercedes 3500 class c averages about 14-15mpg. To be fair, the mercedes rv is about 3feet longer but still! Hands down, the Ford v10 is the best and this is the first and last Sprinter.

You were getting 12 to 14 with a Ford V-10? You may be the first one I have heard that has been able to accomplish that. My 30Ft. Itasca with the tapered nose gets 8.5 average for the last 35K miles. What size and brand, thanks.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ernie1 wrote:

Not clear on your message. Are you saying you get 12-14 with a V-10 or the diesel. If with a V-10 which class c. My 30ft. rarely exceeds 9. I travel at 55 or 65 and no difference, all within a tenth.....

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've owned 3 V10s. A 1999, 2008, and now a 2019. It is an incredible engine for the motorhome application. I know nothing about Mercedes except for their expensive reputation. Why change that which works?
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Have used a Ford V10 for 10+ years - Sprinter is not on our "want" list.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The same here on everything mentioned so far in favor of a Class C motorhome based on a Ford V10 powered E-Series cutaway van.

In my opinion, the Mercedes chassis and it's engine is too complex (and hence expensive to repair and service) for general RV use here in the U.S. - especially when used in the more rural areas for camping trips. However that might not be the case in Europe, because I think that they're more "diesel vehicle centric" across the pond.

We take our small V10 powered Class C off-highway, and it's ground clearance, reliability, and general ruggedness provide a lot of confidence for us. Another detail not mentioned much is that even at the V10's average miles per gallon consumption rate, probably Class C motorhomes based on it with the stock 55 gallon fuel tank have a greater touring range than what the Mercedes 2500 and 3500 cutaway van chassis provide.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Damdifino wrote:
Honestly, if you could do it again would you go for a Mercedes diesel or a Ford V10?

Another Ford versus Mercedes thread?

OK, here goes, once again. I hate these threads, but I find them strangely compelling. And, I was bored.

The fuel economy difference explained using simple math....

Start with $1000.
Regular unleaded costs $2.79 in Michigan today. Lowest price at Marathon per Gas Buddy.
$1000 will get you ($1000/$2.79 = 358 gallons) of fuel.
At an overall average of 8 MPG with a Ford V10 (based on the manually calculated average consumption of my 2016 Sunstar 26HE 3ValveV10, 6 speed transmission, but not towing - they don't put a fuel economy gauge in the Ford V10 on the F53 chassis, at least not mine), I would be able to drive 358 gallons X 8MPG = 2867 miles.

Start with the same $1000
Diesel costs $2.95 in Michigan today. Exxon lowest price per Gas Buddy.
$1000 will get you ($1000/$2.95 = 338 gallons) of fuel.
At an overall average of 15.5MPG with my MB 3.0L V6 turbo diesel (based on using the fuel economy gauge for a period of several weeks while traveling, but not towing), I would be able to drive 338 gallons X 15.5MPG = 5254 miles.

That's quite a bit more driving on the same amount of money. Almost 45% farther with the MB diesel. I'll take that. Simple math. It adds up quickly at the gas station and at the bank.
To add fuel to the fire (pun?), I live in Canada where it's even better for the diesel engines today. Diesel is C$1.19/L and regular unleaded is C$1.35/L. I rarely pay that, though. I get most of my fuel in Michigan. I should also mention the Sunstar was about 2500lbs heavier than the Navion. About 13,000lbs versus about 10,500lbs.

Everyone says that it's more expensive to maintain the MB. Probably. Parts are more expensive, but they seem to last longer. Oil changes cost more, but are done less frequently. Fewer places can work on them, but not every Ford dealer or corner garage can accommodate a big RV either, I know because I got my first and last oil change on the Sunstar (only 27' long) at a truck stop in Maine, because not one Ford shop near me could handle it's size. Forget about suspension, alignment, and other chassis work on them, they won't fit on or are too heavy for most dealership hoists. I know because I asked. You buy a big class C or a small Class A motorhome with the Ford chassis and engine and you could have some trouble finding service, and will probably have to use big truck shops to get a lot of the routine stuff done. Size matters to a Ford, too. I would bet most Ford V10 owners can't do their own maintenance, so they're going to have to deal with some of those same issues as us MB owners.

Neither motorhome/chassis/engine is perfect, they both have pros and cons, big and small, but I think I prefer the MB Sprinter chassis, overall. It's quieter, has incredible performance for a small engine, no doghouse, and it just drives well. I only have to go 60 miles for chassis service, and they can actually do it there, no farming anything out to heavy truck shops. My Navion fits in their shop and they can do everything I'll ever need done to it. I consider myself lucky in that respect. Out on the road, that's a different story, but it all depends on what fails, and where you are when it does, whether it's a Ford V10 or an MB V6. The MB chassis could fail 5 miles or 105 miles from a capable dealership or a qualified repair facility, but so could a Ford V10 chassis. Out there, it's largely luck of the draw, for everyone.

I like my Mercedes based motorhome. I would buy another one, all things considered.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Hands down the V-10 from Ford, had the fuel pump replaced in Santa Fe at the Ford dealer hard to do at a campground, I worked for Mercedes long time ago, beautiful engines, a pain in the neck to work on, I redid all the sparkplug threads with Timecerts not helicoils on the V-10 at home over a weekend, do all the mainenance on it, other than the fuel pump it has more power than what we need to go places and tow the toad.

It is a 24 foot bumper to bumper "actual measure" no slide, bed is a queen and there is plenty of room, no need to make way for tables chairs just eat or having to make the bed every night, and there is plenty of clearance to off road with out scrapping enything down there.

navegator

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford V-10.
I have wrenched as a career and have worked on just about anything with a steering wheel.
I know this, the V-10 is a gas guzzling powerhouse that is a reliable engine. I know two individuals that have have exceeded 350K on theirs with minor repairs.
Any mechanic can work on the V-10. Keep spare ignition coils with you, I'm told.

Mercedes. Owned a diesel car and anything associated with Mercedes is double the price. Not everyone knows or understands their engines. Not every shop has the diagnostics to find the problem. Mine was a 300D without computerization, easy for me to repair however in a motorhome I would not have it. Mercedes makes a good engine but expensive to repair.

IF you were to need repairs miles from home you could be towed to most shops and get help, Mercedes, not too much.